European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Boston, MA euro-spec conversion to US-spec

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:35 AM
romagnolo5
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boston, MA euro-spec conversion to US-spec

Does anyone know of any garages that specialize in euro to US spec conversions in Boston, MA? Preferably specializing in MINIs, but can't be too picky. I need to check with them on information about the MINI, what it takes to convert, if necessary. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
good luck

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
I drove a Euro MINI here and it didn't seem like it would need anything - the speedo is in kph, but you can still display mph in the tach. As long as it isn't RHD you should be set to motor.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Rotterdammer
Neutral
I am just about to take my US spec Mini to the Netherlands. Have you already found out more about differences, f.i. in headlights?
A more outrageous idea: we could swap parts. Mine is a 2006 Cooper S Convertible. I will ship it in the next couple of weeks.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:02 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
I was going through the same issue last year when i went to ship my 330 CiC individual back to the states from Kuwait. I did alot of research to include numerous phone calls to US Customs in D.C, my port of entry(Charleston S,C). Nobody could give me an exact cuz they didn't even know!!! More research showed me what I needed to know. I didn't do it cuz I stuck around(still here) but most cars produced after 2000 are around the same standard. They say Euro cars don't have cats, my MINI does. Safety glass, reinforcements in bumper and doors, seatbelts....all the same. The ECU coding may be different, exhaust and gauge cluster...thats about it. I beat the exahust deal by ordering an aftermarket full exhaust from the states that is street legal( Hamaan with hi-flow cats) and for the MINI I bought Alta. If its legal in the states, there won't be oo much of an issue just keep stock parts close-by just in case
Rotterdammer, One thing about US spec cars is to ship outside to another country changes are minimal. US customs has a very silly standard to make you spend money on garbage that u can put back to the way it was after u get it in the country. Most countries accept US spec cars as is cuz we have MPH and KM/H on the gauge cluster. I have my 2003 Mercury Marauder (was only avail in the US) here with me in Kuwait and didn't have to change a thing The look on these Kuwaitis faces when that 4000lb sedan on 22" blows past on the highway is great.If anyone is curious, I can dig up those numbers to call if you want some piece of mind.

Last edited by M!N!-ME; 11-26-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M!N!-ME - I take it that you aren't required to have amber turn signals in Kuwait? That's awesome that you were even able to get a US-sized plate for your car. Are US vehicles common over there?

Old 01-14-2009, 11:41 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
AKIndiMini-- They are required, but the police are kind of lenient about it. As far a the plate goes, that is the State of Kuwait plate size. Saudi, and a few others use the long plates in the Middle East. Actually the majority of cars driven here are American. More GM than Ford though. Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, 300C's, Corvettes, Hummers, Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Tahoes, Suburbans...the big pickup craze is here as well. They love American cars here. Our cars drink gas like water, and they have gas to quench the thirst...LoL

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's pretty cool. How do the imported American cars (I take it, they're originally US-market vehicles?) handle the extreme heat?

I remember from my time at a Jeep dealership - "export-market" Jeeps destined to the middle east (and other hot areas) were equipped with additional cooling system not found on standard US-market vehicles.

How hard was it for you to bring your car to Kuwait? I looked at bringing a old Euro-market Mercedes 280SE (w126 body) to the US...it would be a huge headache with customs.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:04 AM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
As far as importing European to the US, I got the info I needed from here
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CARS/RULES/...t01092006.html

That list has who anyone interested should contact on the issue. As far as importing my car here, I didn't change anything. I have only changed the water pump since its been here, no other issues yet LoL

Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 AM
ellinara
4th Gear
You guys are lucky here in Canada they don't allow us to import any car other than american unless its older than 25yrs

Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ellinara
You guys are lucky here in Canada they don't allow us to import any car other than american unless its older than 25yrs
Really? I've seen a lot of imported Japanese cars in Vancouver. A few older Skylines which I don't think were officially imported. Pretty sure there's people who can import stuff to Canada.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Really? I've seen a lot of imported Japanese cars in Vancouver. A few older Skylines which I don't think were officially imported. Pretty sure there's people who can import stuff to Canada.
I'm just saying what Canada Customs told me (wanted to bring my MINI from Europe)

Old 04-02-2010, 04:22 PM
broadwayline
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ellinara
15 years old...not 25.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 PM
ellinara
4th Gear
Thanks got the correction broadwayline... I must have done a typo

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
david6720
Neutral
I was going through the same issue last year when i went to ship my 330 CiC individual back to the states from Kuwait. I did alot of research to include numerous phone calls to US Customs in D.C, my port of entry(Charleston S,C). Nobody could give me an exact cuz they didn't even know!!! More research showed me what I needed to know. I didn't do it cuz I stuck around(still here) but most cars produced after 2000 are around the same standard. They say Euro cars don't have cats, my MINI does. Safety glass, reinforcements in bumper and doors, seatbelts....all the same. The ECU coding may be different, exhaust and gauge cluster...thats about it. I beat the exahust deal by ordering an aftermarket full exhaust from the states that is street legal( Hamaan with hi-flow cats) and for the MINI I bought Alta. If its legal in the states, there won't be oo much of an issue just keep stock parts close-by just in case
Rotterdammer, One thing about US spec cars is to ship outside to another country changes are minimal. US customs has a very silly standard to make you spend money on garbage that u can put back to the way it was after u get it in the country. Most countries accept US spec cars as is cuz we have MPH and KM/H on the gauge cluster. I have my 2003 Mercury Marauder (was only avail in the US) here with me in Kuwait and didn't have to change a thing The look on these Kuwaitis faces when that 4000lb sedan on 22" blows past on the highway is great.If anyone is curious, I can dig up those numbers to call if you want some piece of mind.
-

--

---------------
Hotels Ballina