European MINIs European MINIs may look similar but there are some interesting differences. Learn more here!

Anyone see a RHD MINI in the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone see a RHD MINI in the U.S.?

Just curious!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Mini_Chan
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only RHD Minis I see are the classic ones.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of Classics are in our area...and they are beauties..

Donna

Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 AM
Duck360198
6th Gear
I saw a 2005+ RHD about 8 months ago and I REALLY wish I would have turned and stopped him after he waved. Only thing I can think of was that he was military, but maybe he did purchase from the UK, I don't know. Either way, it was probably the coolest thing I had ever seen.

We were both at opposite sides of the street at red lights and I looked across thinking to myself "uhhh, is there no driver in that MINI???" Sure enough, as he drove by, he was sitting in the passenger side driving. I thought it was the coolest thing. He gave an emphatic wave (obviously an enthusiast) and continued on. Never saw it again! Sure was nice...Royal grey with a black roof. Real sharp.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:06 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be quite cool to see a "new" mini with the RHD in the states.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:18 AM
yumhaggis
4th Gear
I wonder why we couldn't order one with right hand drive, I can't think of any law or reason why they couldn't make it so... And it would be way cool to have one stateside.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Ashley3D
2nd Gear
When I was in the Air Force stationed in the UK, I tried to buy a 2004 RHD from the military BMW dealership, but was told if the vehicle was ever going stateside it would have to be LHD. I thought that to be strange so I inquired further when I went to the Mini plant in Cowley, Oxford. Two different tour guide said all minis going to the states had to be LHD according to the U.S. DoT. If you're a UK citizen, you can import a RHD mini to the states, but it can only be on a one year basis. If you’re a UK military serving in the states, you can have it here as long as his tour is.

Another strange thing I saw in the UK was Minis bought through military sales had different options than the MiniUSA site. One was mini coopers convertible. Convertible were not just for the MCS. They also have a wider color range for military dealers.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Jtrem
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Im sure if someone had the time and money that they could convert there LHD to a RHD.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:54 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
there is a law that states you cannot have a RHD drive vehicle if there is currently a LHD model of that vehicle sold in the US.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
there is a law that states you cannot have a RHD drive vehicle if there is currently a LHD model of that vehicle sold in the US.
Well that's interesting!!! I'm wondering how in the heck the guy that I saw got his RHD MINI in. I'm wishing more and more that I would have stopped him now!

Old 09-15-2007, 02:47 PM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
as someone posted earlier military or UK citzen are options but only for a select duration of time

Old 09-18-2007, 10:09 PM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ashley3D
When I was in the Air Force stationed in the UK, I tried to buy a 2004 RHD from the military BMW dealership, but was told if the vehicle was ever going stateside it would have to be LHD. I thought that to be strange so I inquired further when I went to the Mini plant in Cowley, Oxford. Two different tour guide said all minis going to the states had to be LHD according to the U.S. DoT. If you're a UK citizen, you can import a RHD mini to the states, but it can only be on a one year basis. If you’re a UK military serving in the states, you can have it here as long as his tour is.

Another strange thing I saw in the UK was Minis bought through military sales had different options than the MiniUSA site. One was mini coopers convertible. Convertible were not just for the MCS. They also have a wider color range for military dealers.
I wonder if the UK citizen decided to sell while still here. Would that still be possible. A few BMW E30 M3 Sport EVOs came to US that way.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Ashley3D
2nd Gear
from what I understand of the importation of military owned vehicles is "Yes the can sell them," but the vehicle would need to be brought up to American standards of emission and safety within the first year of sales.

Now I have seen lots of 1996 - 2000 (classic style) Minis (not reVinned) imported from Japan recently. The Japanese emissions standards have always been higher than the US‘s, well except for California. You may want to thing about checking that out.

Ash

Old 09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
There is a RHD R56 MCS on eBay right now for sale

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM
MINIxB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by familiarstranger
What about the classic minis?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM
familiarstranger
6th Gear
the classic minis sold stateside (about 10,000) were all LHD all the RHD minis that were in the us were imported. so technically the 60-67 RHD minis driving around are doing breaking the law. but the amount of cops that would know that any LHD minis were sold here is small im sure.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm positive you could get a RHD MINI in the country thru the grey market. Ive had no problem helping get in a Skyline and RHD JDM RX7.

Its probably going to be quite a bit of paperwork, but not impossible in the end.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
travis 10 incher
2nd Gear
not true.

I have a neighbor that drives a BMW 325i that is rhd. It is a 2002 or 3.
I drive a rhd classic mini and have had three of them and asked many law enforcement types if they were legal. There is no law in Texas I assure you.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
RHD is not illegal in the USA, the Post Office uses RHD every day.Cooper should sell them in the USA also.

Last edited by NJP; 11-23-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
familiarstranger is correct - you're not supposed to permanently import any RHD car for which there's a LHD equivalent sold in the States, and that's a federal regulation, not a state one.

The postal jeeps probably get an exclusion based on the specific duties they have to perform, because I'm pretty sure there were Jeep models available concurrently with RHD and LHD.

Last edited by ScottRiqui; 12-04-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Importing a right hand drive vehicle is POSSIBLE

[FONT=Arial-BoldItalicMT]
Importing a right-hand drive vehicle
[/FONT][FONT=ArialMT]. As previously indicated, an import
eligibility decision can be based on the substantial similarity of a non-U.S.
certified vehicle to a vehicle manufactured for importation and sale in the United
States, and so certified by its original manufacturer. If the vehicle you are seeking
to import is right-hand drive, even if there were a U.S.- certified version of that
vehicle, it might not be considered "substantially similar" for import eligibility
purposes. Our experience has shown that the safety performance of right-hand
drive vehicles is not necessarily the same as that of apparently similar left-hand
drive vehicles offered for sale in this country. However, NHTSA will consider the
vehicles "substantially similar" if the manufacturer advises the agency in writing,
on the manufacturer ' s letterhead (and not that of an authorized dealership or
other such entity affiliated with the manufacturer) that the right-hand drive vehicle
would perform the same as the U.S.-certified left-hand drive vehicle in crash
tests. Absent such evidence, the petitioning RI would have to demonstrate that
the vehicle, when modified, would comply. In this case, you might want to contact
one or more of the RIs listed on our website to obtain their opinion on the
feasibility of conforming the right-hand drive vehicle to the FMVSS, and the costs
involved in conforming the vehicle and petitioning NHTSA for a determination as
to whether the vehicle is eligible for importation.
[/FONT]

Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 PM
NJP
3rd Gear
Importing a RHD vehicle is POSSIBLE....more on

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...elig010807.pdf

If you have the time.......

Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
I have a 78 Mazda RX7 that is RHD, that I bought off of a guy who was stationed in Japan in the early 80's in the US Military. He brought it back with him, never titled or registered it or anything. Took some paperwork and some time, but I got it all titled and registered just fine. In NY there are some weird inspections you have to go through, but nothing major. It is old enough where no one really cared though lol.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
I recently purchased a classic Mini RHD and found no law in VA that requires it to conform to LHD standards.
After having driven the car a bit, I see no crash test merit either. In fact, if I were to be in a head on with anything else in such a small car, it's not likely that the side of the car I'm on would make a whole hell of a lot of difference anyway.
That being said, I'm not posotive, but pretty sure that most people in law enforcement wouldn't consider this an infraction(if it were) that warrants the bother of citing. Theres got to be something much more pressing, Know what I mean?

Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM
MD-IN-UK
3rd Gear
Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention, I asked about ordering RHD for my 05 MCS.....

Answer: NO WAY MAN.... case closed.

Quick Reply: Anyone see a RHD MINI in the U.S.?