Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical How to disable the airbag light w/ aftermarket seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 04:16 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to disable the airbag light w/ aftermarket seats?

Let me just start off by saying I've already searched for the answer to this, but there is so much varaition in what people say that I have no clue what to do.

Also, I have an 06 and I'm not sure what to do about the pressure sensor on the passenger seat. I want to keep the functionality of the passenger airbag, so it would suck if it was permenantly disabled because the sensor isn;t sending a signal to the airbags.

What resistor should I use at what power level and what can I do to fool the passenger pressure sensor into thinking someone is sitting in that seat?

Thanks!
Blake

Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Anybody?

Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
1nf3rn0
I also have been trying to keep an eye open for this same fix. So far I have only seen one person who has come up with a fix for the passenger seat sensor. He solved the problem by installing the seat pressure switch in the new seats he installed. I don't know if he got the seat pressure switch new or used but had someone take the seat cover off and install the sensor. The other sensors he did by the resistor trick (lots of posts on this). A while back there was an article over on Motoring file about a kit to disable the passenger side airbag. I'm not sure if this disabled the entire passenger airbag or just the seat sensor. In any case it was for other countries and was not available from US dealers. It could possibly be purchased from a vendor over seas. I also think I remember after install that it had to be programed which leads to another problem.
Sorry I couldn't help more. Steve

Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
Anybody?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Allright, thanks. I guess I'm just going to have to hope the car keeps the passenger airbag on, even if the sensor doesn;t send a signal.... Redundency seems to be something BMW put alot of into our cars, so why would the airbags be different?
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
1nf3rn0
I also have been trying to keep an eye open for this same fix. So far I have only seen one person who has come up with a fix for the passenger seat sensor. He solved the problem by installing the seat pressure switch in the new seats he installed. I don't know if he got the seat pressure switch new or used but had someone take the seat cover off and install the sensor. The other sensors he did by the resistor trick (lots of posts on this). A while back there was an article over on Motoring file about a kit to disable the passenger side airbag. I'm not sure if this disabled the entire passenger airbag or just the seat sensor. In any case it was for other countries and was not available from US dealers. It could possibly be purchased from a vendor over seas. I also think I remember after install that it had to be programed which leads to another problem.
Sorry I couldn't help more. Steve

Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im on the same boat.... the resistor trick worked for the passenger side for me, but didn't on the driver side... ive had the airbag light for the last year and a half now..

biggest fear? it'd disable ALL airbags so i feel i am in a tin can with no cushion

Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 AM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
I have a cage, so that isn;t a concern. I just cant stand to have warning lights on on the dash that don;t need to be there.

Out of curiosity, which resistor did you use?
Originally Posted by kyriian
im on the same boat.... the resistor trick worked for the passenger side for me, but didn't on the driver side... ive had the airbag light for the last year and a half now..

biggest fear? it'd disable ALL airbags so i feel i am in a tin can with no cushion

Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont recall... all i know is the same as recommeded on webb's website

Old 03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
So, 4 ohm then. One of the biggest points of confusion for me is that everybody is using a different rated resistor.