Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical New idea for a brake light mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:09 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New idea for a brake light mod

As you are aware I don't trust the standard rear brake light mod (jumper/diode). But I was wondering if anyone has tried this idea? How about putting a bit of electrical tape on the contact for the brake light dual element bulb and then installing the jumper/diode so that when the brakes are pressed only the top (fog) light is illuminated. When the running lights are turned on then only the lower light would illuminate. This way when the brakes are pressed only the fog lights would light up, eliminating the possibility of drawing to much power trying to light up both lamps.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:18 PM
ernesto
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using the regular brake light mod since August 2002 with no problems.. I don't run fog lights so no need for a diode for me.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:10 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
As has been posted before, I know of 2 folks personally that had warranty repair denied for a problem with the BC1 module because of your mod. No way of determining with certainty if this caused it or not, but I don't want to take the chance.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ernesto
I've been using the regular brake light mod since August 2002 with no problems.. I don't run fog lights so no need for a diode for me.
I've had it for a year or so - love it, no problems.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
I beleive it was Great Bear that showed how to do a cut and patch to swap the brake lights and fog lights.

I just backed the terminals out of the plugs, and swapped the fog light and brake light terminals, thus had the fog lights acting as brake lights.

Similar to this photo, which is actually a photo of my trailer light hook up.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/Trai...MINI_wires.jpg

I later put them back. I currently have a "POWERED trailer light" adapter driving the "fogs" as brake lights, and the regular brake lights running normally.

John

Old 01-29-2007, 05:36 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Now that's what I want to do. Thanks J !

Old 01-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
As has been posted before, I know of 2 folks personally that had warranty repair denied for a problem with the BC1 module because of your mod. No way of determining with certainty if this caused it or not, but I don't want to take the chance.
Wont the dealer see it as a mod to the system is a mod to the system therefore they shouldn't have to pay the warranty repair costs?

Old 01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Old 01-29-2007, 06:32 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Motor On
Wont the dealer see it as a mod to the system is a mod to the system therefore they shouldn't have to pay the warranty repair costs?
If you did the more conservative version of the mod (post #5) and the BC1 still blew up, the dealer may try to deny warranty if they discovered the mod. However that version of the mod does reduce risk of damage to the BC1 to essentially nil, because no additional wattage is used. Full brake light mod = more benefit, some risk. Half brake light mod = some benefit, almost no risk. You choose the amount of risk that you are comfortable with.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
MyMiniparts.com sold me the read brake light kit for 12 bucks. YES, I know you can go to Homedepot and build yourself for a few bucks but time is money. The kit had self wire tap ends - find the cables, attach ends and squeeze with pliers. Took me 15 minutes to do the first side and 2 minutes to do the other.

It has worked flawlessly for over a year. Could be easily removed leaving little evidence.

dealers and warranty - reach is different

Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Could'nt you use LED replacement bulbs in place of the regular bulbs and eliminate the extra current draw?

Old 01-30-2007, 08:08 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Yes, but I have seen some problems with that install also.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
What problems have you heard about involving LED bulbs? In a tail light, a replacement LED bulb may not be as bright as a regular bulb or have a focused hot spot, but I wouldn't expect any issue with the BC1.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
I'm sorry. I meant that I have read some posts that said that the lights themselves were a bit problematic.....flickering and such.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:26 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
For the brake light mod, no LED flickering issues if you replace only the top (fog) bulbs with LEDs. They would be in a parallel circuit with the bottom regular bulbs (their resistance would prevent flickering).

If you replace both the top and bottom bulbs with LEDs, I don't know whether there might be flickering (if there is, could be remedied with resistors), but check that the LEDs are bright enough.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:33 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
I'm sure if you bought the good , expensive LED's they would be bright enough. I don't think using the LED's along with regular bulbs would look right,the middle light is LED and it has a different color than the others and it would be nice for them all to match. So a resistor is what a person needs to wire too?

Originally Posted by rkw
For the brake light mod, no LED flickering issues if you replace only the top (fog) bulbs with LEDs. They would be in a parallel circuit with the bottom regular bulbs (their resistance would prevent flickering).

If you replace both the top and bottom bulbs with LEDs, I don't know whether there might be flickering (if there is, could be remedied with resistors), but check that the LEDs are bright enough.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I'd like to know if anyone has used the LED bulbs in either the top (Fog Light) or both top and bottom. If so, what LED bulbs did you use and where did you buy them? Was resistor required? Where do you attach the resistor? Pictures or a wiring diagram would be great. It may be a smart idea if one of the NAM Vendors offered a special Rear Brake Light/Fog Light LED KIT. I'm sure they would sell very well.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Jdewey
4th Gear
Several vendors offer a kit with a diode and "squeeze taps".

The LED draw about 10% of what the Incadescent does, so yes there is little added load on the BC1.

I used a 12 led in the fog light position.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/tail...osed_bulbs.jpg

As ADDED brake lights these were ok, particularly at night and directly behind the car.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/tail...e_straight.jpg

In the sunlight they are less impressive.
http://user.mc.net/~jdewey/MINI/tail...e_straight.jpg

1157 LED were not bright enough for the main brake light position.

LED's have a very fast turn on time. When the car is first turned on the LED's flicker as the BC1 runs diagnostics. The regular bulbs don't flicker as they take more current and more time to turn on.

John

Old 02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Old 02-07-2007, 10:46 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Old 02-07-2007, 10:50 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Old 02-08-2007, 12:30 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
The MINI's reflector type of tail light housing is highly optimized to capture and reflect the light pattern from a regular bulb. For an LED replacement bulb, I would recommend the tower style on that superlumination page because it uses superflux LEDs (much brighter than the 3mm LEDs in the 32-LED bulb posted above), and would throw much more light into the reflector. However I still don't think it will be as bright as the original standard bulb.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:11 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The MINI's reflector type of tail light housing is highly optimized to capture and reflect the light pattern from a regular bulb. For an LED replacement bulb, I would recommend the tower style on that superlumination page because it uses superflux LEDs (much brighter than the 3mm LEDs in the 32-LED bulb posted above), and would throw much more light into the reflector. However I still don't think it will be as bright as the original standard bulb.

One person says this is the best, another says its not as good as OEM bulbs. Thats exactly why I suggested that one of our NAM vendors do some homework, determine which LED set-up is best for the brake light/fog light combo, and sell it as a complete kit.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
Well I have done both modifications, the brake light mod and replaced the bulbs with LED's. Someone said something about flickering, and yes mine did develop a flicker on the passenger side brake light bulb (not the fog light), but placing a 1W 1k ohm resistor across to the ground cleared it right up. I replaced both bulbs (brake and fog) with the same LED bulb, the tower one that someone allready posted. I have noticed that the fog light is brighter than the brake light, probally because the fog light housing is smaller and focuses it better. Well I have had the brake light mod for 2 years and the LED's for 1 and no major problems with either. The other week however the diode came loose on one side and I lost the fog light. So instead of just wedging it into the connector I soldered that sucker in so no more intermitent brake lights, also warrenty for BC1... poof, gone.

Also there are pictures in my gallery, but they dont really do it justice, its better to comapre in person then in pictures.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:27 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
This bulb, not so good. I bought this one first and I could barely see it during the day.

This one is better, I'd say about 93% as bright as regular bulbs
I am wondering how well this one works, there is fewer side LED's but it claims to be the brightest ever, bla bla bla. Someone should buy this one and try it.

Quick Reply: Electrical New idea for a brake light mod