Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine from the Toyota group buy a couple of days ago.
Great tool. I have the OBC but am starting to calibrate the Scan Gauge and expect better information. Then what do I do with the OBC

If you want the discount price you need to order by Thursday on the Toyota group buy.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
locogringo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been looking at this devce for a while. I have seen it mentioned on other threads on this forum. This device can read hp. Scan Gauge says that it reads gross hp and not net hp as they can't calculate loss for a/c, alternator, etc. Pretty cool. I am buying one.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:49 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thulchatt
I got mine from the Toyota group buy a couple of days ago.
Great tool. I have the OBC but am starting to calibrate the Scan Gauge and expect better information. Then what do I do with the OBC

If you want the discount price you need to order by Thursday on the Toyota group buy.

Last call! One day left to get in on the Toyota Group Buy!
Tough to find for this price anywhere right now.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Mini-RI
2nd Gear
Easily the best thing I have done to my MINI so far. And its a tie with my Whalen **** for ease of install! I absolutely love it.

I installed mine under the center tower. Certainly not line of sight, but still very easy to glance at and read the data.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So here's a question for the geniuses (DrO and DrPhil - y'all listening? )...

Does the MINI have any "hidden" or "additional" data that could be read using the Xgauge capability of the ScanGauge? This PDF shows HP, Fuel Trim and O2 sensor data being somewhere universal... and shows some additional data available on Ford and GM vehicles... just curious if there might be some other stuff out there we could be reading that we don't know about yet...

Also - the Add-a-Gauge function has a "MTH" element - math? - that provides some method to scale, offset and display the data... I'm wondering if there would be away to use this to create an Xgauge that offsets the MAP reading by the the approximate atmospheric pressure to display an approximate "gauge" boost reading... I know it would be static - that the pressure would have to be embedded in the Xgauge setup data vs. reading live pressure wherever you are...

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Got my gauge, plugged it in, and twenty minutes later it started speaking in tongues. On the drive home that night it was lit, but the screen was blank.
Plugged it in again last night and now it seems to be back to normal. Anyone had infant mortality issues with theirs?

Last edited by Eric_Rowland; 02-06-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Got my gauge, plugged it in, and an twenty minutes later it started speaking in tongues. On the drive home that night it was lit, but the screen was blank.
Plugged it in again last night and now it seems to be back to normal. Anyone had infant mortality issues with theirs?
Only been using it two weeks but no problems yet.
I just need to learn how to use all of functionality.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Got my gauge, plugged it in, and an twenty minutes later it started speaking in tongues. On the drive home that night it was lit, but the screen was blank.
Nope, the only oddity was when my 3.5 year old original battery finally gave up the guage was on when I opened my door...nothing like that since...about 3 months since I replaced the battery.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Check THIS OUT!!!!

How to program an Xgauge as an approximate boost gauge (instead of MAP)... going to try it now...

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Check THIS OUT!!!!

How to program an Xgauge as an approximate boost gauge (instead of MAP)... going to try it now...
That's cool and all, but I just subtract 14.1 and continue to be a lazy SOB

Seriously though, nice find

Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Just tried it - IT WORKS!
Took 2 minutes to program it and called it BST... If I really wanted I could setup multiple XGauges for different elevations (one for home, one for the track, one for the Dragon, one for my high elevation runs, etc.)...

Old 02-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, haven't posted here in a while...

But all I can add (since I don't own one and never will) is that to do a nice permanant mount you can take the OBD-II connector center part out of the frame so that the connector doesn't stick down. If you take out the knee bolster or euro parcel shelf, you'll see a blue frame at the back of the OBD-II connector. Push the back of this towards the firewall, it will move but won't come off the connector housing, then you can press the connector center up from below and out of the housing. Then it will go into the cable connector and you can wire-tie it up and out of the way. If you take your time, you can put it where you can still disconnect it from the cable connector if you want to use other tools with the diagnostic port.

For those looking on the R56, I'd check around the underside of the dash on the driver side. It has to be within about three feet of there by law, so it's pretty much always in that area. Open the door real wide, slide the seat back, and get your head in there to look around. Shouldn't be too hard.

Matt

Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad you guys are liking them. If there is more people wanting them I could put together a MINI group buy. Let me know.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very cool Blimey! I must admit that I still have mine in the box sitting on my bar. My Mini is stashed away until the snow melts. I can't wait to get this installed though. I want to see boost and volts for sure. I'm hoping there will be other hacks that come up as this gauge continues to get smarter.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:59 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
I'm glad you guys are liking them. If there is more people wanting them I could put together a MINI group buy. Let me know.
This would be a great idea.
For those of you who don't have one yet it is a very small investment for the info you get.
I got one mostly to watch the temp but I am enjoying the ton of information I can see while I drive, sensors, trip, MPG, costs, etc...

Also, one of the simplest installs you could ever ask for.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i'd be down for this group buy i think. been eyeing it for awhile, not sure if it would permanantly mount it but, i do think i would like it as a nice code reader and reset tool with a nice set of extra features.

question- i would really like it if i could use it on the wifes pt cruiser in addition to my MINI. researching the website awhile back- i think it states it will work on just about every car (maybe not a jeep). does anyone know if it WOULD work on her car? my MINI is a 2003 R50, her pt is a 2003 as well. so am i right in assuming i should be able to use it on both with the stock obd connector? or would i need another adaptor?

Old 02-08-2008, 09:45 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Well the buy is on then. They will be $150.

As for your wifes PT Cruiser it should work no problem. My dad swaps his from his Geo to Honda weekly.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
put me on the list then, and keep me posted when you get enough of us to to make this worthwhile for you to do. i assume $150 is the shipped price? i'm in socal so i should avoid taxes? thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
I tried the horsepower XGuage today and the silly thing was reading north of 390 horsepower

We may need to wait for ScanGuage to come out with programming specific to the MINI for this to work.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:23 AM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HighLife4136
I tried the horsepower XGauge today and the silly thing was reading north of 390 horsepower

We may need to wait for ScanGauge to come out with programming specific to the MINI for this to work.
Apparently this has something to do with me not ever setting up my fuel parameters on the scangauge....what's MPG anyway? I'll get to it today and chime back in with comparisons from my last couple dynos.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Also set up your correction factor for MPH. The HP guage wasn't too bad when I had all the parameters set. Occasionally it would spike and say something crazy, but most of the time it seemed pretty close.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Add me to the list.

I've beem eyeing this thing for many months now and you guys have finally convinced me.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:50 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
Also set up your correction factor for MPH. The HP guage wasn't too bad when I had all the parameters set. Occasionally it would spike and say something crazy, but most of the time it seemed pretty close.
Yep, that helped a bit! The freeway where I'm at was closed today so I only had real opportunity to hit redline in 2nd gear, giving a reading of 206 hp. The hp at idle reads between 4 and 5 hp, and usually at 4.9...the hp while coasting in gear reads 0 for all you MPG nitpickers

Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 AM
bad venge
4th Gear
Glad I pulled mine out of the Rover when I went to trade it in .... Getting it set up correctly is the most challanging part ,Took me months to get it right ... So I'm guessing it'll be the same in the mini

Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
My HP gauge seems *relatively* reasonable most of the time - and yesterday I hit 504HP, so it looks like my mod plan has worked out OK.

Quick Reply: Electrical ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these?