Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i prefer to keep my eyes on the road than to try to read small text on
a tiny screen while driving.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenchan
i prefer to keep my eyes on the road than to try to read small text on
a tiny screen while driving.
Agreed, but this seems to be a cost effect solution if your car did not come with a tempature gauge, and it is easy to use. I am not going to stare at it, but the data logging capabilty would be cool to have, and less expensive than getting a Palm and software.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:35 AM
dmh
Former Vendor
I've been selling them for a few months. The gauge is not too small to read. And it will soon have logging capabilities.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:07 PM
OzMini
2nd Gear
Hi, thanks for those inputs... yes, I have tried all combinations of off, accessory only, fully on, and ignition (motor on) for up to a minute in each position but the display is the same: Connecting...

I have left in "auto" discover mode as well as forcing "ISO".

There is obviously some power being supplied to the Scangauge for it to be showing anything.

Seems bizarre...

Cheers

Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
What year is your MINI??
Have you tried both connection into the ScanGauge unit (side & back)..

I am wondering if you have a "questionable" unit... Perhaps an email to ScanGauge to ask for help or a replacement unit (if under 30 days)???

Let me know how it works out...

Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM
OzMini
2nd Gear
Sorry, forgot to mention OzMini is a 2002 Cooper S.

Cheers

Old 09-21-2006, 06:01 PM
ekim
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had mine for a month now and like it. for the time being I've got it located on the dash near the left pillar. It will probably be a problem when the bag goes off but works very well from there as it's out of the way and I can see the the lettering very clearly (I wear glasses). My next option would be to suspend it from the head liner/windsheild next to my radar detector.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Connection issues and the like....

it shouldn't matter what year car you hook up to, as long as it's OBD-II complient, the communication protocal is the same.

For connection issues, the Mini connector is a real PITA. And the fact that the connector is only supported on one end makes it even worse! There have been times when I've done the following to really make sure that everything is good. (and I've had issues with lots of things that plug into the OBD-II port....):

1) Remove knee bolster
2) Slide OBD connector lock back.
3) Press up on OBD connector from below to get it to pop out.
4) Connect just that part into the cable.

Typically, I find that the connector rocks back and forth, and I have to really push to get it to seat.

There is no single fuse for the OBD-II connector. It talks to lots of system and one or more pins go dead when each of these systems goes down. There is a power line there, and if you're clock won't hold time, but runs when the car is on, it may be getting power through the information busses. That did happen to me once. Don't remember the fuse....

Matt

Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 PM
90STX
5th Gear
Sept '02 build 2003 MCS, no issues at all. I use the guage function to watch intake air temperature and pressure (boost), coolant temperature, and vehicle speed. For me, those have been the most useful. It seems to take readings at about 1Hz, so is much more useful for some purposes than the Carchip I also have.

The speedo reads high, right from the showroom floor. The mph signal to the Scangauge II is the actual speed, not the slightly faster reading going to the speedo. Plus, there is a feature to let you adjust for different diameter tires (mine aren't stock) very easily, so you can have a much more accurate speed reading. That's why I have it displaying all the time.

Yes, the Scangauge will easily and instantly reset an engine code if you want it to. I've done so for the P0108 (I think that's it from memory, but the code I set was the one that indicates boost high out of range which trips at 18psig).

The trip computer function will save peak coolant temp, rpm and mph. Sort of fun to check after an autocross run, and an easy way to check your maximum speed in gear at the fuel cutout if you care.

I mounted mine to my sun visor. I used the spring clip from a common sunglasses holder, and attached the Scangauge to it. That puts it very close to my line of sight for quick and easy reading, but it doesn't hang down any lower than a radar detector. It is very light, and doesn't budge at all during autocross runs. I ran the cable up along the A-piller / windshield joint, and used white electrical tape. It's pretty inconspicuous, and invisible from outside unless someone ducks down and looks up at the headliner.

Scott
90SM

Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Nothing to see here, just posting to subscribe.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:26 PM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 90STX
Sept '02 build 2003 MCS, no issues at all. I use the guage function to watch intake air temperature and pressure (boost), coolant temperature, and vehicle speed. For me, those have been the most useful. It seems to take readings at about 1Hz, so is much more useful for some purposes than the Carchip I also have.

The speedo reads high, right from the showroom floor. The mph signal to the Scangauge II is the actual speed, not the slightly faster reading going to the speedo. Plus, there is a feature to let you adjust for different diameter tires (mine aren't stock) very easily, so you can have a much more accurate speed reading. That's why I have it displaying all the time.

Yes, the Scangauge will easily and instantly reset an engine code if you want it to. I've done so for the P0108 (I think that's it from memory, but the code I set was the one that indicates boost high out of range which trips at 18psig).

The trip computer function will save peak coolant temp, rpm and mph. Sort of fun to check after an autocross run, and an easy way to check your maximum speed in gear at the fuel cutout if you care.

I mounted mine to my sun visor. I used the spring clip from a common sunglasses holder, and attached the Scangauge to it. That puts it very close to my line of sight for quick and easy reading, but it doesn't hang down any lower than a radar detector. It is very light, and doesn't budge at all during autocross runs. I ran the cable up along the A-piller / windshield joint, and used white electrical tape. It's pretty inconspicuous, and invisible from outside unless someone ducks down and looks up at the headliner.

Scott
90SM

So it also displays boost? is that in PSI or bar?

thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 PM
90STX
5th Gear
PSI or KPa, degC or degF, miles or km, gallons or liters. Each unit can be individually selected, so you could read temp in Celsius and fuel in gallons if you wanted to.

Note that the guages seem to update at about 1Hz (once per second). This is plenty fast enough for coolant temp, but if you are accelerating hard and the IAT, MPH, MAP, timing and RPM are changing rapidly then the numbers go up in jumps.

During milder acceleration or steady state cruising, then the changes are easier to follow. All of the above would be true for most any numerical readout vs a needle style gauge.

Scott
90SM

Old 09-25-2006, 09:45 PM
TheSilverBullet
4th Gear
sweet thanks for the response

Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don, When does the data logging functionality come on line? Is this new functionality backwards compatibility to current units? TIA Michael

Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some questions to those with experience using the SGII, if I may:
1. How do I interpret the timing output? It seems to read positive numbers, so how do I know when it's advancing or retarding, and by how much?
2. It shows MAP pressures that appear to be extremely high (I saw 22psi today.) Is this a MAP sensor problem, or a SGII problem?

thanks for any answers. btw, I love this gauge! It's an OCD's wet dream...

Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 AM
90STX
5th Gear
1. Positive is advanced, negative is retarded, in degrees
2. MAP reads in absolute values, not gauge like most boost gauges do. You need to subtract atmospheric pressure to get a number you're used to seeing.

Scott
90SM

Old 12-31-2006, 03:52 PM
DeniseK
2nd Gear
I thought this was a cool idea until a friend pointed out that it doesn't give a read out on oil pressure.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I have this hooked up to 05 MCSc and it works just great....I have it on all the time.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It can only read...

Originally Posted by DeniseK
I thought this was a cool idea until a friend pointed out that it doesn't give a read out on oil pressure.
data from sensors that are on the car. And since there's only an oil pressure switch, NO diagnostic readout will get you pressure.

Matt

Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
RigseyUK
Neutral
I just brought one of these and think its great for the price.

Out of interest what kind of intake temps are people getting?

I appreciate intake temps increase greatly when the supercharger is being worked hard.

Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 PM
dmh
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RigseyUK

I appreciate intake temps increase greatly when the supercharger is being worked hard.
188 deg F at the track with he stock IC. All the other aftermarket ICs I tested (and that includes just about all you can name) were higher!

Last edited by dmh; 01-03-2007 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:10 AM
BBCooper
3rd Gear
Depending on how you drive..

Originally Posted by RigseyUK
I just brought one of these and think its great for the price.

I don't track my MINI (yet). But in my daily driving I see the IAT reading about 10 deg warmer than outside air.. This is while I am moving at highway speeds. But when I stop at a light - you can watch the temps rise as the heat soak sets in..

Hope that helps,

Old 01-03-2007, 12:58 PM
RigseyUK
Neutral
Thanks for the replies

I have also noticed the heat soak issue (as expected) in traffic but it seems to drop pretty quickly once on the move.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:15 AM
manutd
2nd Gear
Hi all,
I'm planning to get the Scangauge II but would like to ask a question to all experienced users. Will there be any negative effect at all if I plug the Scangauge permanently to the OBDII plug in my MCS??
Cheers
Stephen

Old 06-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Ex-Pat Brit
4th Gear
posting to subscribe

Quick Reply: Electrical ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these?