North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/70640-scangauge-ii-anyone-ever-tried-one-of-these.html)

theroyalwe 06-07-2006 06:36 AM

ScanGauge II - Anyone ever tried one of these?

I got an email today and this product caught my eye... Scangauge II

Has anyone ever seen this before? looks pretty interesting... theoretically it could be used in place of the OBC and also to read any trouble codes that come up.

anyone?

curv872 06-07-2006 07:59 AM

The MINI isn't listed on the compatibility list :-(

Dr Obnxs 06-07-2006 08:02 AM

One guy I know of is using it...

It's a lot like the CarChip E/X unit, but a bit less. Doesn't need Mini compatibility, as it uses standard OBD-II commands....

I didn't use this one specifically, but two things to look for:
1) How many different OBD-II sensors does it support and
2) How many can it process at one time.

The CarChip had about 20+ variables that it could read, but only 4-6 at a time, at a rate of one reading every 5 seconds, so it was slow.....

Matt

dmh 06-07-2006 12:39 PM

I have one

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
It's a lot like the CarChip E/X unit, but a bit less. Doesn't need Mini compatibility, as it uses standard OBD-II commands....

I didn't use this one specifically, but two things to look for:
1) How many different OBD-II sensors does it support and
2) How many can it process at one time.

The CarChip had about 20+ variables that it could read, but only 4-6 at a time, at a rate of one reading every 5 seconds, so it was slow.....

Matt

I originally bought it to read trouble codes on a Volvo. I never knew it capabilities. I have it setup on my Mini dash to read boost, water temp (the gauge sucks), intake temp, and timing (though I am still trying to figure this one out). It reads fast and can display 4 readings at a time. I don’t have the manual in front of me but you can go to their web site and there you can find all that it can read. Data logging will be available in August.

jchanger 06-07-2006 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by curv872
The MINI isn't listed on the compatibility list :-(

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Minis are included in "ALL EXCEPT MERCEDES" :razz:

theroyalwe 06-07-2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by dmh
I originally bought it to read trouble codes on a Volvo. I never knew it capabilities. I have it setup on my Mini dash to read boost, water temp (the gauge sucks), intake temp, and timing (though I am still trying to figure this one out). It reads fast and can display 4 readings at a time. I don’t have the manual in front of me but you can go to their web site and there you can find all that it can read. Data logging will be available in August.

ohhh... that's pretty cool! I may have to check it out.

speednut 06-08-2006 09:09 AM

Hmmm, I've been trying to figure out a nice way to determine the engine temp; Nav screen means you only get an idiot light for over temperature. It's impossible to really know when your car has warmed up to normal operating temp so you can start driving it more enthusastically. Looks like this might fit the bill.

Thanks for the goto theroyalwe!

BBCooper 08-15-2006 01:22 PM

I just got one of these... I really like it.. I use it to display the same readings that dmh referenced above.. I have also been using it to help others debug SES lights.

As a plus it can change the backlighting to match (pretty close) the orange illumination of the MINI dash..

One "gauge" that does not work with the MINI is the FPR - fuel pressure regulator. But the web site states this feature does not work on most cars..

So far... I like it alot..:thumbsup:

Dr Obnxs 08-15-2006 01:25 PM

There is a reason for this...

Originally Posted by BBCooper
I just got one of these... I really like it.. I use it to display the same readings that dmh referenced above.. I have also been using it to help others debug SES lights.

As a plus it can change the backlighting to match (pretty close) the orange illumination of the MINI dash..

One "gauge" that does not work with the MINI is the FPR - fuel pressure regulator. But the web site states this feature does not work on most cars..

So far... I like it alot..:thumbsup:

I don't think we have one! There's a regulator, but it's passive (ie, no electronics) and I don't know of any fuel pressure reading that you can get via diagnostics without using an external guage.... But I've been wrong before.

Matt

Matt

Z-Mini 08-16-2006 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dmh

Would this unit fit just below the MINI Switch panel? Got any pics of your installation?

Thanks-
Randy

BBCooper 08-16-2006 10:13 AM

Yup it fits nicely below the toggle switches with about 1" on either side.

I might be able to get pictures later today...

Z-Mini 08-16-2006 10:56 AM

Yup it fits nicely below the toggle switches with about 1" on either side.

I might be able to get pictures later today...

Thanks for the information. Pictures would be great if you could take the time.

Thank you-
Randy

BBCooper 08-16-2006 12:32 PM

Here is a pic..

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the shakey image... It from my camera phone. Just ran out quickly at lunch.

Enjoy

Z-Mini 08-16-2006 12:35 PM

Sorry for the shakey image... It from my camera phone. Just ran out quickly at lunch.
Enjoy

Thanks for the photo. I like the look! :thumbsup:

-Randy

JoeCool 08-16-2006 01:02 PM

Can you see the display down there?

I was thinking of placing a scangauge there as well, but I didn't know if the display would be visible at that angle. How's the visibility?

BBCooper 08-16-2006 01:18 PM

Visibility

I like it..

As a side note I was debated on putting the gauge under the toggles or on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.. But the "stealthy" look under the toggles keeps winning me over... Plus if I remove it for any reason the velcro is not visible..

Back to the visibility... At night it is very easy to see becasue of the backlight.. During the day it is fine too - the backlighting does not show up that well.. The characters are very tall and wide enough for good contrast. There are times I get a little concerned looking down that low in the cabin while driving.. But I don't want it in my line of sight either... After the first day and the "new" factor wears off.. I find the numbers (except MAP) don't change that much to warrant having it in my line of sight while driving..

The other thing that is nice - it is very easy to reach the buttons from the grearshift (Alta SSK) to change selections..

Enjoy

JoeCool 08-16-2006 02:03 PM

Thanks, that answers a lot! Looks like it's time to pull the trigger on another toy...

jwardell 08-17-2006 05:41 AM

Does this have the ability to reset a CEL?

BBCooper 08-17-2006 10:38 AM

I have not had an DTC on a MINI near me to test the ScanGaugeII... But the documentation says it does...

Any ideas on how to create a "safe" DTC error to try it out?

Dr Obnxs 08-21-2006 12:42 PM

Up plug you tb...

and try to start you car. You'll get tons of lights!s

Matt

BBCooper 08-21-2006 12:50 PM

That would work ;-)

ah .. Well that would create many lights & codes.... I was looking for some "safe" ways to throw a code.

On a side note I was able to clear a MINI P0335 code... See this thread for more details on that "fun"...

So far I have plugged this reader into several MINIs, a 2000 Ranger, 04 Saturn, and 04 Honda CRV... Every time the unit works great and was able to use the gauge side easily.. Even pulled & cleared codes on the Saturn..

Thanks..
Blair

Dr Obnxs 08-21-2006 12:57 PM

Than the EPA for all that!

OBD-II standard is a STANDARD! That's why a scanner will work on all cars... And it was mandated by your friendly government. Without the mandate, you wouldn't have OBD-II or ECU reflashes (the ability to upload new operational maps to the car is part of the mandate!) So for all you "gov is nothing but wasting money and overregulation" think again. Without it, we'd still be tuning carborators!

Matt

blue agave 08-21-2006 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Without it, we'd still be tuning carborators!

Those were the good ole days :thumbsup: Still have my draft gauges for Stromberg sidedrafts:cool:

OzMini 09-19-2006 09:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I also just bought the Scangauge based on this thread but I just can't get it to synch - it just shows "connecting..." I have tried to manually force it to the ISO setting but still no luck. I suspect my car's OBD II connector may be faulty or the fuse to it is out - does anyone know which fuse it is hooked up to? Or which pin carries power?

Any other troubleshooting ideas welcome. I did by the way check to see that the connector is well seated.

Cheers

BBCooper 09-20-2006 07:49 AM

Not to ask the simple things..

Sounds like you have it plugged in correctly.. :thumbsup:
But for me to get past the "Connecting" message I have to turn the key to the "ON" (not starting) position. Then in a few seconds the ScanGauge should connect up and display the main window..

Other question what year is your MINI.. I have used this easily on '04 & earlier MINI's but I don't think I have tried it on the '05 or higher models.. I think MINI changed the ECU (type, speed??) for the current models..

Hope that helps, if not post back .. I have an '06 MINI close by I could test my ScanGaugeII with...