Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Fast blinking with LED turn signal bulb

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:45 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Fast blinking with LED turn signal bulb

I tried installing LED bulbs for the front turn signals and got a fast blink. I learned that this is caused by the low power usage of LEDs and that a remedy is to add a load resistor to similate an incandescent bulb. I would like to avoid this if possible because it negates some of the low power and heat advantages of LED, and to avoid splicing into OEM wiring.

Does anybody know what MINI uses to control the blinking of the turn signals? There are electronic flashers available (http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=62) that replace the common thermal type. Does MINI use a plug-in flasher module that can be replaced by one of these, or is the blinking completely controlled by the BC1 (in which case the only remedy is to add a load resistor).

Here are some notes from installing the LED bulbs:
  • The front turn signal sockets use European 7507 bulb, which are like 1156 but with offset bayonet nubs. I used a 1156 bulb and filed off a nub.
  • The LED bulbs required a reversed polarity from what was in the MINI bulb holders. However it is easy to disassemble the wire connector and swap the pins to reverse the polarity.
  • With the LED bulbs, although the turn signals blinked fast, the hazard lights blinked normally.
  • Now here is something fascinating. After I found that the LEDs blink fast, I swapped back to the original incandescent bulbs. The next day when I used the turn signal the first time, it also blinked fast for about 5 seconds, then went back to the normal blinking. I swapped back and forth a few times and this was consistent. After switching from LED to incandescent, it continues to blink fast for a few seconds before reverting to the normal blinking. This kind of "memory" makes me think that the blinking is controlled by BC1 software.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:33 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Im not sure what controls it but here is a bump cause i would like to know as well. I would like to replace all my bulbs with LEDs eventually.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The MINI turn signals are controlled by our infamous body control module. Various saftey regulations specify that the flashing mechanism (be it a separate flasher or something like the MINI) warn the driver of a burned out bulb. You can replace most of the bulbs on the car with LEDs, but when it comes to the turn signals, the low current draw of the LEDs is seen by the BC1 as a burned out bulb. The only real fix is to add a resistor in parallel with the LED lamp. The resistor would have to be about 10 ohms at 10 watts.

Old 05-21-2006, 07:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have whatis known as hyperblink.

add one of those inline modules and it will stop it.

all of my exterior lights are LED, cept for headlights and fogs.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
is that something i can buy at like Radioshack? Im not bad at electrical stuff, i can solder and what not but can anyone tell me what size resistor to ask for and do i just need to cut the wire and solder the resistor between the wires?

Old 05-22-2006, 05:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
you have whatis known as hyperblink.
add one of those inline modules and it will stop it.
all of my exterior lights are LED, cept for headlights and fogs.
I take it that you are using the electronic modules inline for your LED turn signals. Then the modules would actually receive a fast blinking signal from BC1, and the results are okay? Where did you connect them? It seems to me that 4 modules (one at each bulb) would be necessary unless you know someplace upstream to connect before the signal splits to the front and rear bulbs.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:50 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Only turn signals need them.

and only in the rear, for whatever reason, my other led lights work fine without them.

all it does it make it appear theres a 12 volt draw on the circuit, even though the LED is only gettin XX ammount of volts.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Voltage is the same, current (amperes) is different.
The LED draws 12 volts just like the stock bulbs,
The stock turn bulbs draw about a half an amp
(brake lights are closer to 2 amps), and the LED's
typically draw about 1/20 the current of the stock
bulbs they replace.