Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Which is the best Radar Detector.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Because of its Laser detection ability, the V1 should be placed as high as possible, without having any blocked area (rear view mirror, seat head rests, etc.) so that both fore and aft sensors can work.
Very true for best detection of any signal higher is better because of LOS rules. I've mounted my past radar detector on the opposite side put same relative place as typer139. I plan on installing the V1 there as well esp. with the remote display stealth is good as it keeps others from riding your tail to take advantage of your having a radar detector, I used to watch trains grow behind me because the Cobra was so visible
I've read the spped zones along with many others, the only complaint I've heard about the V1 is that it had lots of false detections which to me means it won;t miss anything and paying attention lets you know when it is PD and its better to slow more often than not enough.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:20 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
v1 fo sho!!

once you go arrows you never go back...though i am kinda interested in this k40 unit someone posted earlier...

though as comes with all radars is self awareness..keep your eyes peeled...I am about to fight a ticket cuz a cop "heard" me speeding...bah 65 in a 55...heard my s/c told me the ticket was "generous" thinking i was going faster...and he marked radar on the ticket....he was giving someone else a ticket when he "radar'd" me...such bs..

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFIT
though as comes with all radars is self awareness..keep your eyes peeled...I am about to fight a ticket cuz a cop "heard" me speeding...bah 65 in a 55...heard my s/c told me the ticket was "generous" thinking i was going faster...and he marked radar on the ticket....he was giving someone else a ticket when he "radar'd" me...such bs..
Not to go too far OT, I have a friend that lives in CA, he was traveling the speed limit 100k and got stopped the officer asked him how fast he was going, he said 100 she agreed, went back the car and wrote him a ticket for 115k. He is currently out of the country so refused to fight it and just payed, +1 for corruption.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've own a V1 for over 16 years now, I've upgraded about 7 years ago but still use it every day, I always mount it on the windshield in the lowest left corner possible, it usually sits 1/4" on top of the dash and 1/4" from the windshield pillar and it catches the rear signal beside my left shoulder and the front is in plain view and is at my eye level making it much easier to monitor, it saves me at least one ticket every single week during spring and part of the summer, it never once failed me and the other reason why I mount it there is nobody can see it while I'm driving, the pillar hides it pretty good and if on rare occasion I didn't mount it properly it doesn't just fall off, it will sit on the dash with usually one suction cup holding it in place.
Cops can't see it in that location and the wire is out of the way, I transfer it in any of my vehicle and got used to mount it in the same spot all the time.
I used to have it up by the rear view mirror but it takes too long to react, once it's warning you, you don't have much time to react, you need to see your speed right away and adjust accordingly in a blink of an eye, otherwise your screwed and the time it takes to look up, then watch the speedo, if you're going too fast chances are you will get caught, the cop will read your speed before you even touch the brakes.
3 years and about 30 radar traps per year if not more that's over 90 traps and 90% of the time I was above the posted speed limit and in lots of cases, they've stopped the car beside me and I went free.
Thank you Valentine.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those of us who know the value of the arrows, why don't other radar dector makers put arrows in? The patent if any for the arrows should be up by now, right?

If all of the other radar dector makers would put arrows in their units, for the price of a V1, I think that would kill Valentine 1.