Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by Bubbasky

According to https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=3457527, the new one superseded your original. Do you know if the donor unit is from a similarly optioned mini? for example, yours is a HT, the donor is also a HT. even though both units are HIGH EKS, the donor might have the Halogen headlights! unless verified it's HID lights.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Bubbasky
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I told the vendor I had xenon lights and all but i don’t know if the donor had them..... I’m thinking I need a more similar module or my wires underneath my carpet are damaged as well

Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bubbasky
I told the vendor I had xenon lights and all but i don’t know if the donor had them..... I’m thinking I need a more similar module or my wires underneath my carpet are damaged as well
I doubt the wires are damaged this fast. Try this and if it works, return the one you just bought

2012 Chassis Control Box(not Engine) Mini Cooper 61353456952 ABBB088 $ Cal M & M Motor Company, Inc.- iPart USA-NC(Randleman) Request_Quote 1-800-441-3668 (for VA, NC, SC) Request_Insurance_Quote

Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Bubbasky
1st Gear
Which option do I use

Old 10-03-2018, 08:36 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
I found yours under body control module w/o adaptation.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Deli
6th Gear
I just received an extended warranty notice for the FRM, 10 years/156K miles, whichever occurs first. I've got a 2013 Coupe. There are instructions included for refunds of prior repairs.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Skidude
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Deli
I just received an extended warranty notice for the FRM, 10 years/156K miles, whichever occurs first. I've got a 2013 Coupe. There are instructions included for refunds of prior repairs.

I also received one last week on my 2011 JCW. Hopefully this will help those that are having issues. So far so good with mine.

Old 12-08-2018, 03:10 PM
5leepy
Neutral
Anyone able to program my FWM?

Hi,
My battery had to be jumped and now I have all the symptoms listed here:
-front windows don’t work, back ones do
-hazards don’t work
-dash lights don’t work
-no turn signals
-no high beams
-headlights always on unless car turned off
-back windows work
From this thread it sounds like a bad FRW. I did unplug my battery for about 4 hours but no dice. I’ll try it overnight but I’m not hopeful.

If if I find a FRM that works for my car, would someone be able to program it for me? I don’t have the tools. Do you suggest trying a brand new battery first?

i have a 2011 Countryman R60 and am in Fredericksburg, TX. Willing to drive to you for help. Desperate, don’t have a lot of cash and have other repairs needed (accidentally went off-roading)

thanks!!

Thanks for for any help.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Checazzvo
Neutral
Has anyone had their 2 window motors burned because of a faulty FMR module. When the service light came on, one hour later smoke was coming through the door handle of the passenger door. Mini replaced the module but refuses to admit a "cause & effect" anyone???

Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 PM
AutoCoarsen
3rd Gear
Received 116 Likes on 58 Posts
I had a leak and wrecked my FRM. Headlights flashing when “off” and both windows didn’t work.

Got an ebay replacement and surprisingly everything worked again right off the bat, except for the reverse lights. I have all the BMW software from working on my E60 BMW once but my version of INPA doesn’t have an R56 profile. Anyone know how to add that?? Looks like I might need an R56.ENG file, and maybe others? TIA!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:36 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AutoCoarsen
I had a leak and wrecked my FRM. Headlights flashing when “off” and both windows didn’t work.

Got an ebay replacement and surprisingly everything worked again right off the bat, except for the reverse lights. I have all the BMW software from working on my E60 BMW once but my version of INPA doesn’t have an R56 profile. Anyone know how to add that?? Looks like I might need an R56.ENG file, and maybe others? TIA!
Yoi actually need NCS to write the FA and FG. Then do "sg_codrein"

Old 05-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Skyz
Neutral
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
Whoever might want to use it, check realOEM to see which vehicles it might work for.
I know it has been a long time, but you wouldn't happen to still have that extra FRM3 would you? Still waiting to hear back from junkyards. I sent mine to a fix it place and they fried mine.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM
jk857
Neutral
Great post! Very helpful in understanding what just occurred to my 2010 Clubman when the red warning symbol appeared and lost all of the above functionality. Headlights wouldn't turn off so to prevent battery draining overnight pulled two fuses. Next day replaced fuses and windows, lights ect. working okay and red warning light gone. Unfortunately not free yet. Now engine runs rough with check engine light. Pulled code P0304 and multiple 5 number messages. Anyone have any idea whether this engine misfire issue could be related to a bad FCM as well?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jk857
Great post! Very helpful in understanding what just occurred to my 2010 Clubman when the red warning symbol appeared and lost all of the above functionality. Headlights wouldn't turn off so to prevent battery draining overnight pulled two fuses. Next day replaced fuses and windows, lights ect. working okay and red warning light gone. Unfortunately not free yet. Now engine runs rough with check engine light. Pulled code P0304 and multiple 5 number messages. Anyone have any idea whether this engine misfire issue could be related to a bad FCM as well?
Unrelated. Might be time for spark plugs?

Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Rob Rocheleau
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FRM Rebuild Service

Hi all,

I don't currently have an issue with the FRM, but like to know my options, as my car dropped off the extended warranty coverage for age (10 yrs - 156,000 Miles). https://bimmerscan.com/wp-content/up.../B012016-1.pdf

There seems to be several rebuild services offered on a well known auction site. Has anyone used a service like this to have their FRM rebuilt? One even claims a lifetime warranty. "Plug & Play Service.
We Will Code the Module with your Vehicles VIN Number and Reset the Any Error Codes stored in the Module. All you will have to do is plug the module Back in."

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:13 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone understand how the FRM functions in relation to actually activating the headlights? When I turn the switch on the left stalk on the column, what happens that the FRM knows to activate the headlights? Looking at TIS, there are 5 wires exiting the steering column (X1880) and going down to the FRM (X14259), one of which is labeled "Signal, low beam switch".

Old 03-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Bruce Vandyke
Speedometer, Tachometer, ABS and rear lights...

Hoping you all might be able to help me.

A few nights ago I replaced the ignition switch to my girls 2007 Mini Cooper S. Her minis windshield wipers would turn on randomly and wouldn’t turn off. Her airbag light would flicker. All of the usual issues with an ignition switch going out.

The new ignition switch fixed all that!

But now other things aren’t working.
Her Speedometer and Tachometer do not illuminate or function. After connecting the battery and turning the car on then off, the break lights turn on and stay on.

I’ve checked all the fuses and they seemed all good until I found, (with a test light), that the fuse F5 5A wasn’t blown but no power is going to it.

Asking some people on a local Facebook Mini group, one guy said that my FRM is dead and showed me a link to this thread. I read through but haven’t seen anything on it exactly like what I’m going through.

Can anyone help me?

I’m thinking that I’m just gonna have to take it to a dealership and have them look at it but if there is something I can do, I’m not totally inept.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Riaz Sabi
Neutral
Originally Posted by danimaltw
Hey guys,

I have a 2009 Mini Clubman with 80k miles and after finding this thread, I think I have a problem with my FRM. Saturday morning I came out to a (nearly) dead battery. The lights still worked, doors unlocked, etc. and the car turned over a few times before going dead. I put a charger on for the day and was able to start my car without problem on Sunday morning. However, after doing so, I got a trouble light (mini on a lift) and the electrical system was acting wonky. So far I have identified the following...
-No turn signals
-No control over headlights...low beams on while driving but cannot turn off
-No hazards
-Windows wont work
-In addition, the lamp in the hazards switch (button on top of dash) remains lit FULL time despite the hazards themselves not working. (I figure this could account for the dead battery.)

Couple questions...
1. Does the FRM impact the operation or the car's ability to drive (other than the obvious no turn signals etc)? If I use it run to the store before I get it fixed, do I need to worry about being stranded.
2. The car has the original battery so its going on 6 years. Could this be responsible for the problems?
3. Anything else I can do other than check the fuses the feed the FRM or take a look at the connections?

Thanks
Dan
This is almost identical to whats just happened to me. I have a 2012 R56 Mini One. Cars been standing due to the covid-19 lockdown. Decided to try and start it this morning and it wouldn't turn over. Hooked up the charger and the result was exactly as yours. Exactly the same symptoms. How did you manage to sort it out?

Old 04-23-2020, 09:52 AM
danimaltw
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello, it was in fact the FRM (Footwell module). I took it to the shop (not a dealer) because after looking at what was involved, I decided it was beyond me to do the programming etc. that was necessary. Repair cost me on the order of $750. THAT SAID, a year or two later I was reimbursed by MINI because it was recalled. Look into that. Good luck, Dan

Old 04-24-2020, 02:08 AM
Riaz Sabi
Neutral
Ouch that must have been painful! At least you able to recover that amount. Did the same and took it to a local auto-electrician and no surprise, it was in fact the FRM module. He only charged $50 for the repair though. Everything up and running and back to normal. Will definitely be paying my local MINI dealership a visit once our lockdown ends! Thanks for the response.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 PM
danimaltw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Riaz Sabi
Ouch that must have been painful! At least you able to recover that amount. Did the same and took it to a local auto-electrician and no surprise, it was in fact the FRM module. He only charged $50 for the repair though. Everything up and running and back to normal. Will definitely be paying my local MINI dealership a visit once our lockdown ends! Thanks for the response.
I'm glad he got it worked out. I doubt he replaced the FRM for that...just buying the unit online costs $400+. But, hey, he fixed it.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Eduardo Ocampo
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
double post

Last edited by Eduardo Ocampo; 05-06-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:42 PM
Eduardo Ocampo
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all, sadly I am experiencing the same issue. The windows, emergency lights, turn signals don't work after jump starting the car. I tried to get the dealer to fix it under warranty but they said the 10 year extended warranty on my VIN expired 2 months ago, they want to charge me $1100 to fix it. Feel pretty salty about that but I bought the car very recently to know. I've seen there's services on ebay that reprogram it for you. Would this be something that would work? Any advice is appreciated. I have a 2010 Mini Clubman JCW.

Old 05-06-2020, 08:33 PM
danimaltw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eduardo Ocampo
Hi all, sadly I am experiencing the same issue. The windows, emergency lights, turn signals don't work after jump starting the car. I tried to get the dealer to fix it under warranty but they said the 10 year extended warranty on my VIN expired 2 months ago, they want to charge me $1100 to fix it. Feel pretty salty about that but I bought the car very recently to know. I've seen there's services on ebay that reprogram it for you. Would this be something that would work? Any advice is appreciated. I have a 2010 Mini Clubman JCW.
Eduardo, sorry to hear about your troubles. I saw that there are folks that will program it to your car but it wasn't something I got a lot of confidence in. Two things I can offer. 1. I got mine fixed at an independent shop for 750ish. And that was in San Francisco. So you might have some luck shopping around. And 2. I got a letter that it was either a recall or a class action and got reimbursed in full. Sorry I don't have more info for you but see if you can do some research and find that. Good Luck, Dan

Old 05-06-2020, 08:34 PM
danimaltw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eduardo Ocampo
And btw I have a 2010 Clubman S so I would think it would apply to you too.

Quick Reply: Electrical The Foot Well Module: functions, problems, solutions?