Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical retrofit heated/dimming side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:50 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
retrofit heated/dimming side mirrors?

I've got an R57S that's already got the factory auto-dimming (interior) rear view mirror. I'm considering adding the aspherical side mirrors. The units from ECS come with support for heated and dimming, neither of which I have installed on this convertible.

So I'm wondering, what would it take to activate the exterior mirror heat and/or dim functions? Is there wiring already present in the doors for it, or would wires have to be pulled?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Nobody?

I'm asking whether or not there's factory wiring either in the mirror or in the door to accommodate either the mirror heating, dimming or both. Otherwise I'd have to pull wiring and I'm not sure the feature's that necessary...

Old 01-28-2014, 09:31 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My understanding is that all Mini wiring harnesses are custom products - yes, each car down the production line gets its own wiring harness based on the options ordered with that car. So anything you ain't got is likely not to have any wiring for it either....

I'm surprised to hear of a car with some options but not heated mirrors - I thought they came with nearly every other option. Do you definitely not have them, or just are not used to how slowly the Mini mirrors defrost?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yes,

At least in the US ( LHD ) market the sock ones are heated : Check out the little electrical post on the back of the glass for heated.

Mirror Glass Heated - Driver Side - Priced Each Part # 51162755629

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51162755629/

&

Mirror Glass Heated - Passenger Side - Priced Each Part # 51162755630

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51162755630/

&&

Here are the heated blind spot mirror Part # 51162755625KT : Check out the little electrical post on the back of the glass for heated.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51162755625KT/

Then there are the heated / auto dimming + auto dimming for only auto already wired. 8/2010+ Check out the little electrical post on the back of the glass for heated, then another plug for the auto dimming.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169803799KT/

Adding the auto dim function to the mirror on 8/2010 or previous years might not be possible if they are not already wired with it. I think it would take allot of work to rewire and mod into the interior control module plus turning it on. I know it reads off of the interior center mirror auto dim sensor.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
So here's a question: If my Countryman already has the auto dim interior rearview mirror, would I be able to just add the auto dim outside mirrors and have them work, or would there be additional programming necessary? My exterior mirrors are heated, by the way.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:01 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Angib
My understanding is that all Mini wiring harnesses are custom products - yes, each car down the production line gets its own wiring harness based on the options ordered with that car. So anything you ain't got is likely not to have any wiring for it either.... I'm surprised to hear of a car with some options but not heated mirrors - I thought they came with nearly every other option. Do you definitely not have them, or just are not used to how slowly the Mini mirrors defrost?
Actually at least on my 05 some things come pre wired, I have no idea why but my alarm was pre wired, i just had to have programmed also the rear fog lite is pre wired, from what I hear the interior rear view mirror is pre wired as well for auto dimming but don't quote me on that I'm not really sure it's here on NAM some where I'm not sure what else is pre wired but I don't think that the mirrors are as stated above :-(

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Asktheteach - Same thing, the exterior mirror have to have the auto dim option already and the additional socket in there to make the auto dim/ heated blind spot mirror work plug and play.

Since the interior review mirror has that sensor that works with the side mirror, it may be possible , but are uncharted waters, Changing out the exterior mirror to have the auto dip and electrochromatic, version, but I don't know if the wiring from the side mirror to the control module can be created. Then to communicate with the interior mirror for the photo sensor ?

This would take allot of work and examination.

Some people talked about it here but nothing really came from it.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-mirrors.html

Asktheteach - Here are the Countryman / Paceman review mirror Blind spot mirror Heated set: Part # 51169803189KT, they should be in near future. These are the non electrochromatic ( auto dim ).

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/51169803189KT/

Thanks , that's all the info I have.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 01-28-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:29 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Ok, so I'd need to look for wiring behind the mirrors themselves, right? No connectors would obvious mean no feature. Any pix of what it looks like back there without the glass installed? It's way too cold here lately to be pulling on expensive plastic bits.

I asked this because getting the aspherical blindspot mirrors WITHOUT those features seems rare. If I'm going to shell out more for the features then I figure it might be worth figuring out how to activate them. I've got dimming (inside) and heating (outside) on the mirrors of my Grand Cherokee and they're nice to have. Not 'rip everything apart to add them' nice, but that's why I ask.

And if it does require ripping everything apart then I'm inclined to think going whole hog and adding the folding feature would be likewise worth considering. My current ones have the chrome exterior, but do not fold.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:39 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
wkearney99 - The stock glass is heated. See above:

The stock mirror housing ( non -powerfold and powerfold have those wires ). You can see the two wire towards the outside / top that plug into the glass element.

To upgrade to the Euro blind spot mirror / heated to your MINI its a direct replacement. To additional upgrade to Euro blind spot mirror / auto dim / heated without having the auto dim plug would be a project that would take allot of work and time if possible.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2014, 03:05 PM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
I just popped out the mirror and the chrome cover on our R57S driver side mirror. It was startling easy to pull it all apart, even with the subfreezing temps we've had lately. Easy enough I'd worry about theft of fancier covers...

I've attached the picture of the guts of the mirror and the wiring.

Inside I found just three wires coming up from inside the door. I could see no extra connectors or anything on the mirror-facing side. Given the need for adjustment motion I can only assume those three are only for driving the mirror motor, correct?

Anyone got a picture of the guts of a mirror that has the heat/dim options? I'd be curious to see how the wiring's laid out.

The upside, at least, is there does appear to be some 'extra' room in through that sleeve down into the door. So, yeah, at least that wouldn't be an immediate impediment to adding the heat/dim functionality. But I'm guessing the lack of anything up here in the mirror wouldn't bode well for there being anything down inside the door either.

It's odd for something mass-produced like this that they wouldn't have a generic harness. Even low product number stuff like boats tend to do that. But then I suppose there's 'value engineering' to consider and they squeeze profits where they can.

Attached Thumbnails retrofit heated/dimming side mirrors?-dsc_1486.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 01:49 AM
SODA66
4th Gear
heated dim mirrors

I have the blind spot mirrors on mine and have the self dimming inside rear view mirror. I too would like the side self dimming mirrors. One option is to have a tinted side view mirror. It would reduce the reflection of cars in the rear, but when I order my blind spot mirror they did not have an option for tinted mirrors. I found some on a British web site that were tinted but never could get the order to go through. On this web site, there were numerous options on mirrors to include wide angel/convex either tinted or not. There were side mirrors for BMWs which were tinted also. So if someone makes them for BMWs it should be easy to find them for a Mini

Old 02-02-2014, 11:44 AM
wkearney99
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
wkearney99 - The stock glass is heated. See above
No, it's not.

I just pulled the driver side mirror glass off our R57S convertible. I've attached a picture of the back of it.

No sign of electrical tabs, nor the stripes across the back of the glass. Just plain old glass on plastic. Now, the plastic shows where the tabs would go, but they're not there on this stock mirror.

Attached Thumbnails retrofit heated/dimming side mirrors?-dsc_1507.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 PM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
I read all the posts but I can't quite figure out what the final answer is on this. I have powerfolding mirrors and auto-dimming/homeline rearview mirror on my 2011 Clubman S. Are the auto-dimming/electro-chromatic side mirror's plug and play?

Also, do the mirrors only auto dip(angle down) if you have an automatic transmission?

Old 12-22-2014, 12:22 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
wkearney99 - They must have just made one glass type for replacement if you have heated or non heated = you get the heated version . It just does not function. Must have been very plain like that for production only.

R53Warrior -

I can answer the top part. I think the autodip did not come till 2011 with the eletrochromatics ( auto dim) . You cannot add feature ( without it being there already ) for the euro blind spot mirror , you match them to the features you already have . They are plug and play.

If you want to add it it would take more work and wiring which I have not dove into on the gen2 , know it was done on the Gen1 with PF.

Thanks

Last edited by ECSTuning; 12-22-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
R53Warrior
4th Gear
That's a bummer. I was hoping the plug for the auto-dimming/electrochromatic part of the mirror would be just hanging in the door.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, I know, like prewired for everything. Does not seem to be the case on these side mirror.

Thanks

Old 01-15-2015, 02:42 AM
romeo_ovidiu
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

Did anyone managed to install the retrofit for heating mirrors? I have searched everywhere and could not find something relevant in order to start and install this option.
I've just bought the mirror glass with heating option and now I'm trying to document myself in regards to the wiring diagram. I've seen that I have 5 wires coming out from my door into the mirror plug. But only 3 of them are used. I supposed that the other 2 are for heating option. I can increase the length of the 2 wires and plug them to the mirror glass jack. Do you know what else should I do after?

many thsnks

Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
bump