Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 04:59 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
What version of datens are you running and what version of INPA & EDIABAS are you running? When I updated to v40 datens I had to also update EDIABAS to v7.2.0 to stop getting errors. It doesn't sound like the error you have as I was able to get my VIN and such (I believe that's the step you are on). My error popped up when I hit "back" after that step.

Is INPA running ok? i.e. both circles are black? You have to leave the INPA server running. Just something else to check.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 AM
teebo7
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Datens V38 I think the version of EDIABAS i am running is 6.4.7? INPA is running correctly both circles are black. I believed I closed INPA so will try to leave open tonight... Any other suggestions?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry you are having this issue. From a quick bit of research it is mostly likely related to the newness of your vehicle. Looks like updating your Datens to a more modern version will be necessary. Search for that error message on the Diagnostic forums (without the number), I found a bunch of threads like this one:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...invalid+for+FA
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...invalid+for+FA

Ah somehow I missed the most recent posts, the version of EDIABAS could be an issue, too. I found some posts referring to needing to upgrade the EDIABAS in order to read MOST bus modules like the ULF, I really want to try that myself as I haven't ever been able to access it with NCS (but of course DIS can read it fine and that is using the same version of EDIABAS).

Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Trouble reading FRM2

I have successfully modified CAS so I can close the windows and sunroof from the fob, SHD so I have two-touch operation of the sunroof, and IHKA to disable automatic engagement of a/c when pressing auto button.

I would like to modify FRM2 for the auto-up not interrupted when opening a door and possibly the fogs and high beams on simultaneously, but I can't seem to read FRM2. If I go "Select Module", I don't see FRM2 as a choice, I see FRM. If I select that, the dialog box makes it look like it will be FRM2, but when I try to read it, I get an error message, and the trace file is very large -- like 117KB. I'm using V40 datens now but had the same problem on a previous install using V38.

Also, has anybody actually found the setting in CHAMP for the weatherband? My module list only shows HAMP, and if I read it, it just has a list of chassis IDs. It doesn't have any settings to change.

Any ideas?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
NintenTom
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO
I have successfully modified CAS so I can close the windows and sunroof from the fob, SHD so I have two-touch operation of the sunroof, and IHKA to disable automatic engagement of a/c when pressing auto button.

I would like to modify FRM2 for the auto-up not interrupted when opening a door and possibly the fogs and high beams on simultaneously, but I can't seem to read FRM2. If I go "Select Module", I don't see FRM2 as a choice, I see FRM. If I select that, the dialog box makes it look like it will be FRM2, but when I try to read it, I get an error message, and the trace file is very large -- like 117KB. I'm using V40 datens now but had the same problem on a previous install using V38.

Also, has anybody actually found the setting in CHAMP for the weatherband? My module list only shows HAMP, and if I read it, it just has a list of chassis IDs. It doesn't have any settings to change.

Any ideas?
Are you getting a Faulty BEST version error? If so check out my thread. Basically you need to update EDIABAS to the newest version and FRM works like a charm; not sure about FRM2 though since i never had to go in there.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-r56.html

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NintenTom
Are you getting a Faulty BEST version error? If so check out my thread. Basically you need to update EDIABAS to the newest version and FRM works like a charm; not sure about FRM2 though since i never had to go in there.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-2011-r56.html
I'm pretty sure that is the error I was getting. I'm in the process of downloading the update right now. Thanks for the pointer.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
I followed the directions to update EDIABAS, and was able to read FRM. Now I have some questions. I want to set the options to 1) not interrupt window roll up when the door is opened and 2) allow the fogs and high beams to be on simultaneously. In the spreadsheet, these are listed as

1) FRM2: TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT (activ -> nicht_activ)
2) FRM2: FL_UND_NSW_NICHTGLEICHZ (activ -> nicht_activ)

So, when I press F4 to select the module to read, there is a FRM not a FRM2. When I select that module, the dialog box says:

ECU short FRM
CBD name: FRM2_R56.C08
CABD name: A_PL2FRX.IPO
SGBD name: FRM_70.PRG

So, is this FRM or FRM2 or what?

I read that module and it looks like it has the right stuff in it. I changed FL_UND_NSW_NICHTGLEICHZ to nicht_activ. However, there is not a TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT, but there is a FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT_3R.

I decided to give those changes a try, so I coded both of these values and wrote the module back to the car. Neither change seems to have any affect. The auto-up for the windows still stops if I open the door, and the fog lights still turn off when I switch on the high beams.

I tried reading the module again to make sure the update was written. The values were in fact written, and the newly read data has some additional values that were not in the data when I read it the first time, these values are:

CBD_ZEICHN_INDEX - wert_01
INNENLICHT_ABSENKEN - wert_05
TIME_COLOR_CIRCLE - 5sec

Google Translate says:
ZEICHN = Draw
INNENLICHT ABSENKEN = Lower Inner Light
wert = worth

So coding experts, here are my questions:
  1. Am I working with the right module?
  2. Why does the name for that parameter not match?
  3. Why don't the changes have any affect?
  4. Where did the new values come from?
In case it matters, I followed the directions in the thread referenced above to update EDIABAS including updating the datens to V41. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I didn't have any problems doing coding changes in CAS, IHKA or SHD.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:48 PM
cowboy3500
1st Gear
How intuitive is this program? Do you need to know codes and such? Thanks

Old 09-16-2011, 09:07 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cowboy3500
How intuitive is this program? Do you need to know codes and such? Thanks
There is absolutely nothing intuitive about downloading, installing or using the software necessary to code your car. I am a software engineer by profession and have no fear about getting down into the bits and bytes, but I spent several weeks studying the various online guides and spreadsheets before I felt comfortable trying to code some modifications into my MINI. I still can't get a couple mods in the FRM module to work as you've seen in my previous posts. No offense, but if you need intuitive and easy to use software, then coding is definitely not for you.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:58 AM
cowboy3500
1st Gear
There is absolutely nothing intuitive about downloading, installing or using the software necessary to code your car. I am a software engineer by profession and have no fear about getting down into the bits and bytes, but I spent several weeks studying the various online guides and spreadsheets before I felt comfortable trying to code some modifications into my MINI. I still can't get a couple mods in the FRM module to work as you've seen in my previous posts. No offense, but if you need intuitive and easy to use software, then coding is definitely not for you.
Thanks for your honesty Tigger. That's exactly what I was wondering. Sounds like something for me to tackle when I get some time, for now I'll just play with my Bavarian Technic Program, limited as it is

Old 09-25-2011, 05:43 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Great to see this section still alive and active. It's been awhile since I've done any coding and it looks like a lot more discoveries have been made. I don't have auto up windows in my 2007 so I think it's time to dig out the PC lap top and have a go.

Something strange did happen this weekend which got me to thinking about coding again. I took the car in for a dealer coolant flush and it seems that my simultaneous fogs and high beams is not working now. I'll check the double blink hazards if it ever stops raining this morning to see if they reset the FRM for some reason. Anyone have that happen? The only other thing I had them do is reset the service countdowns.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:00 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
It's been way too long since I've done programing. I must have messed up some things getting DIS running awhile back. I took me awhile to get everything talking again for programing. At the end when I thought I had everything correct, strange things started showing up in the Tach display..Air Bag, Steering Wheel, etc. and the car was beeping at me. I thought I fried something. I unhooked everything and then the car wouldn't start. After freaking out a few minutes I finally realized the lights were on this whole time. DOH! Waited and few minutes and I just had enough juice to turn it over. WHEW!

After the battery was charged and everything back to normal I tried to program in one touch up windows in FRM since I don't have those in the 2007, but no luck. I've sent out some questions to those who have done it successfully. I still don't understand why my fogs + brights suddenly are not working. It's still coded correctly. Strange.

Anyway, I'm glad this forum was here to refresh my memory on how to get things working. Thanks!

Last edited by TheCheatOSX; 09-26-2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: DIS not TIS
Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
If you figure out how to fix your fogs + brights not working, please post the answer here. I have been trying to code that feature unsuccessfully for a while now.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
TiggerGTO,

I'm not sure what is going on with the lights. It worked great when I programmed it awhile back and I'm almost positive it was working on the way to the dealership as I ran through some crappy weather on the way there and I had them on. I have four rally lights as well with two of them wired to turn on with fogs and two to turn on with brights. With that setting active and brights engaged I have fogs, brights, and all four rally lights burning so I know when its working.

I'm just not sure what would cause it to stop working out of the blue but I'm still tracing it back to the dealership doing something during the coolant flush and service countdown reset as they didn't work after that. I went on a rally the next day and was showing them off when I noticed they revered back to default behavior. I doubled checked the trace file and it is still set correctly there. FRM also has double blink hazards which I had set and it still works so it is a mystery at this point. I'm still digging.

PS: My auto up windows work great. Stupid me did not have the car "ON" when testing. It seems auto down works with just the key in, but auto Up needs the car on.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
^^^^

Why would the car need to be on for auto up? That defeats the purpose of walking away holding the lock button on the fob and securing the car.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
This isn't the setting for rolling them up with the FOB (I have that turned on too), this is "one touch" up with the toggle in the car. This feature seems to be default in 2008+ but my 2007 didn't have it.

As for the lights...more pilot error. I didn't realize there was a separate setting for Flash Brights w/ Fog. I was flashing them to test and the fogs were shutting off. When I actually turned the brights on the fogs stayed on just like they should. I'll add the setting for Flash Brights + Fog on the spreadsheet shortly. I turned it on too.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM
mastawyrm
4th Gear
Just thought I'd add that I put one x on that spreadsheet. Apparently nobody has tried removing the disclaimer from nav on a 2010.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Juppers
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Added the values I had to change to disable bulb checks on my 2008 MCS. They are on the testing tab if anyone else had problems finding them. They are different from what is on the main page.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:38 PM
evilclubman
Neutral
Hey guys,

I'm new mini owner 2012 Clubman S. Looking to see if anyone in my area (orange county, California) might have the means to do changes I want and make a little money doing so! If your interested PM me and we can talk. Otherwise I'll just have to do it myself haha.

Thanks Guys!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
Can the airbag light be cleared by any of the tools mentioned in this thread?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
cowboy3500
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
The Bavarian Technic Tool works great for airbag lights.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pureinstinct93
INPA that gets installed alongside of NCS can read the codes and reset the airbag light (as well as most other modules).

Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
pureinstinct93
2nd Gear
Perfect. Thanks, strobeyprobey! The Bavarian Technic Tool is a bit pricey!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:10 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
Finally found this thread -- has all of the updates I was looking for - thanks!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
rvrgn84
1st Gear
Hi everyone,

I lack any technological knowledge of any kind. So, please forgive me if this is a ridiculous question.

I'm really interested in adding the option that allows me to roll my windows up with my fob. I would also like to get rid of the seatbelt chimes. However, as previously mentioned, I lack the ability to do this myself. Would it be possible to take my car into the dealership and have this done? Or would they have no idea what I'm talking about?

Quick Reply: Electrical Close Windows & Sunroof with the remote, yes you can