Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical My 2010 R56 with Retrofitted Bi-Xenon custom headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2010 R56 with Retrofitted Bi-Xenon custom headlights

Hello all,

I decided to make a totally seperate thread from the 2 i've been recently posting in.

Last week I decided after reading hojobones recent testimony about his headlights being retrofitted with bi-xenon projectors to mimic the OEM HID headlights, and speaking with him over PM and seeing pics of beam pattern and cut-off, went on the project for myself.

I contacted JB @ Black Flame Customs in LI, NY about undertaking the project but instead going for the flat black painted reflectors and color matching laser blue projector surrounds for a unique look. After several e-mails back and forth and a very reasonable price quote, I secured a set of spare Mini OEM halogen headlights to be retrofitted and drove out to see Black Flame Customs.

The best part of this experience was I estimated project time to be about 2-4 weeks. JB got me in less than 1 weeks notice and promised them in 4-5 days. I told him that I'd just plan on him taking 7 days and just be pleasantly surprised if they were done sooner.

JB literally e-mailed me everyday with an update, literally before I had time to wonder how the progress was going, he would keep me completely in the loop of where he was with the project. In 1.5 days, he already had preliminary pictures of the painting and gave it all 24hrs to set before each phase. I dropped them off on Thursday and they were already done by that Sunday, but due to my scheduling, I picked them up on Monday.

Payment was smooth, pricing was within the budget he initially quoted for and is very reasonable compared to how much the bi-xenon option was had I ordered my car with them. Upon visual inspection and pics, everything looked well done and the paint match is great. JB at my request was very nice enough to locate a flat area with a wall and helped me aim my headlights properly. I was surprised to see how meticulous he was, whipping out a measuring tape, judging the physical distance of each housing to the wall we were focusing the lights on and adjusting accordingly height and left/right, then re-measuring. He did warn me that I would be tinkering with this afterwards and I did end up raising the headlights just a little for my taste. The bi-xenons work perfectly and although I did get a bulb-out warning, I promptly called JB and he told me that the car had to adapt a bit to the new set-up and it would clear in a day or so. I drove the car again last night in clear weather and no bulb-out warning!!

Overall, I couldn't be happier. Bi-xenon headlamps really do improve the front end look of the car and its just that much less chrome to have to look at as I plasti-dipped my grille and headlight surrounds to black. More importantly, my beam pattern is comparable to the OEM bi-xenon setup in my 2008 135i. I would highly recommend Black Flame Customs if you are looking to do a similar project to your Mini and are in the tri-state area. It is absolutely worth the drive and the cash. If you didn't opt for bi-xenons on your Mini, this is a great alternative!

Beam pattern going about 70mph on dark highway.

Last edited by wandrur; 10-08-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: removed potential non-vendor advertising
Old 10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
AstroBlackBeast
Former Vendor
now THAT is nice! I heard a lot about Black Flame Customes through a few clients and they all said good things. Maybe they can put xenons in my tail lights? hahaha.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It took me a minute before I noticed they weren't OEM, well done!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow.. looks greta

Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
3leafz
2nd Gear
impressive!
do u think blackflamecustoms can make the oem HID deadlamps retrofit work w/o flashinf the onboard computer?

-calvin

Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM
smoke05S
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome Great pattern, Looks like you have them aimed correctly too. I love the blue along with the Joey mod.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice

Old 12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
nice

Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM
empire0007
2nd Gear
Hello Group and Happy Holiday's
I did the modification on the lights, but i wanted to do something a little different.

I have the Xeon lights and for the turn signal's bulbs, i was thinking of putting HID lights.

Has anyone done anything like this. Is it possible on the fitting, would it be just easier just have a bright LED bulb and make the turn signal into a running light.

I want the turn signal bulb to be the running lights. Wiring is not the issue, Fitting HID is??

Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Any luck with your project? This is what I want to do. If you have a chance could you post a DIY?

Thanks.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 AM
empire0007
2nd Gear
I decided not to do it, as i had to take everything apart and redo the wiring. to much work. I have already spend so much on after market parts and modification to this car (10K ++) that i think it's time to stop

Originally Posted by empire0007
Hello Group and Happy Holiday's
I did the modification on the lights, but i wanted to do something a little different.

I have the Xeon lights and for the turn signal's bulbs, i was thinking of putting HID lights.

Has anyone done anything like this. Is it possible on the fitting, would it be just easier just have a bright LED bulb and make the turn signal into a running light.

I want the turn signal bulb to be the running lights. Wiring is not the issue, Fitting HID is??

Old 01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
dugr
Neutral
I'm new to this site and to Mini's... though not new to modding.

We got a great deal on a new 2010 JCW red convertible for my wife and picking it up tomorrow. The problem with the great deal, there were no HID's. So I've read every post I could on this site and others regarding HID conversions. I've pretty much decided to go with the Black Flame Custom's solution.

fmalgapo, are those 50/55 watt bi-xenon projectors you are using? Does anyone know or, has anyone measure the HID load over the Halogens? I notice a noticed another company that adds relay and circuit directly to battery to take the load off the existing wiring.

Since there are exciters and ballast to consider regarding total load, I thought I check with experienced and ask. I don't want my wife having to call me on the side of the road at night with no lights because the mod smoked the circuit from an overload... Then going back to the dealer for warranty... of course, with the halogens back in place.

Also I notice on Black Flame Custom's site they state "Plug-and-Play (w/ECU code fix) wiring Harness". From what I've read here, that isn't an issue. Can I assume that they are adding that to cover their assets or?

I'm really impressed with the the spirit of the Mini community and it's mods... Great site!

Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
DMBFan2
4th Gear
Not sure as to what the ECU code fix could be.

I do remember that the ECU needs to be adjusted for xenons and that the dealers are quite stubborn in doing so. Maybe someone here can shed some light on this issue.

Good luck

Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 PM
fmalgapo
2nd Gear
Hey,

To answer your question about the load...I've had the Black Flame Customs lights installed for over 4 months now with no issues. The only issue I've had is that the 2010's seem to be a little more sensitive to the lack of wattage that the xenons put out vs halogens (35w vs 55w) and after 30 minutes of driving I get a high beam out warning. BFC is aware of this and has a fix for me but I just haven't gotten around to driving back to LI for him to resolve the issue.

His other '09 customer does not have the issue I have. The lights have held up well and so has the wiring. The beam patter is excellent. The only issue I have is a gong after 30 minutes of driving and I keep my headlights on all the time.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:59 AM
dugr
Neutral
I assumed you were running 50W Bi-xenons... that's incredible output with only 35W bulbs. I'll give BFC a call to see what the fix is and post back their response . I would prefer not having to take it to the dealer to reprogram the ECU.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i would love to swap tsx projectors in to my lights but dont know if they will fit.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 AM
dsc201knoc
2nd Gear
I have been providing error free OEM HID conversions for BMWs for the last 3 years and I can fully integrate an OEM set of headlights error free using oem ballasts and bulbs....

If anyone is interested in this feel free to contact me.. i also provide error free hid kits for people that would like to just update their halogen bulbs with hids... no harnesses are necissary for this swap.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 AM
knoteasy25
1st Gear
hey what driving lamps are you running and what mounts?
do you reccomend it?
directed @ Bigprfed22