Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Has anyone used an OEM "sport" style button in the blank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Hellion
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone used an OEM "sport" style button in the blank?

I am wondering if anyone has used ordered a spare sport or DCS OEM button to put in the blank for Aux lights?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
i am in the process of adding a sub/amp to my MINI and i awnt to get a bass **** and put it into the blank spot. i feel like thats a pretty sleek spot for it. well see how it comes out.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:39 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep in mind that the toggle switches aren't conventional toggles that route +12V to the various accessories. The toggles exist only to activate contacts on the printed circuit board that's right behind them. The circuit board then tells the car's computer that a switch has been activated, and the computer takes it from there, sending power to whatever accessory you just selected.

As such, there's virtually no space between the face of the toggle bank and the circuit board behind it, so sticking a conventional switch or **** into one of the blank toggle spaces is extremely difficult.

Even if you mount an OEM toggle in the blank space, I don't think that activating the toggle will give you a +12V signal anywhere that you could use to activate a relay for auxiliary lights (plus the fact that the OEM toggles are momentary-contact, so you'd have to figure out how to use the momentary pulse from the toggle to activate/deactivate a latching relay to power the lights.)

Old 09-21-2008, 09:53 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
They are talking about an R56, the middle button in front of the shifter between the Sport and DSC buttons. In Europe, it is a button that disables the start/stop fuel saving feature; in the US, it is blank/unused. However, the same principles apply as for the toggle switches. The OEM Sport and DSC buttons are not traditional on/off hard contact switches. It would be easier to install an aftermarket switch instead of trying to use an OEM button.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Hellion
3rd Gear
I know it would be easier but I am not after easy just clean look. Its a no brainer to add an aftermarket switch.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:20 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Again all of these switches are not really switches in the sense of providing 12VDC to an accessory. All of the switches in the R56/R55 Mini are just to provide a specific signal to the computer so that the computer can turn something on or off. They can not be re-programmed easily to be used for something else.

They are intended for a specific function and that is all.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
i dont know what Hellion is refering to, but as far as what im talking about, i want to modify a standard bass **** (the control module to control the bass for the amp) into the empty location between the DSC and Sport buttons. since its empty its a good location to utilize.

i will keep everyone posted as it progresses. will try to do it this weekend.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:48 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by benji_mini
i dont know what Hellion is refering to, but as far as what im talking about, i want to modify a standard bass **** (the control module to control the bass for the amp) into the empty location between the DSC and Sport buttons. since its empty its a good location to utilize.

i will keep everyone posted as it progresses. will try to do it this weekend.
Have you removed the blanking plate yet? If the Euro cars have a switch between the DSC and Sport buttons where you're planning on installing your bass ****, there may be a printed circuit board *right* behind the blanking plate, giving you almost no depth to mount a conventional rotary ****. I hope that's not the case and that the installation goes smoothly, but the possible lack of mounting depth is a potential obstacle.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
benji_mini
4th Gear
thanks for the input ScottRiqui, i will be looking underneath and removing the circuit board before i drill. its too easy to take out the center console...3 torx screws lol i might as well take a peak before i decide to do anything and see whats up with that circuit board. if i can unattach the rotary **** from the panel that i plan to use i will be fine, as long as i can extend the wires between by splicing them, i should be fine. the center console is basically EMPTY so i shouldnt have a hard time finding a place to mount that part. well see what happens.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:05 AM
NSX JR
3rd Gear
The middle button is used for the auto start-stop feature in Europe. As others have said, installing a different component in this location is likely to be more difficult than you anticipate.