Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Noise and vibration with Milltek Catback exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
cucho
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise and vibration with Milltek Catback exhaust

Ever since I installed the milltek exhaust I am experiencing a lot of vibriation coming from the rear end of the car (when the car is not moving and especially at low revs) . Also, there is some mild burning smell coming from the back...and it is not the brake pads.
Have any of you experience any of this problems when installing the system???...or it might be incorrectly installed???.
Pls. enlighten me .

Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
BiZzLeSMiNI
3rd Gear
yeah i have a milltek and get a lil vibration that sounds like the tips or the mufflers are rubbin against the bumper cutout for the exhaust at really low revs like when i just left off the clutch and give it some gas in first gear...been meaning to ask about that too!! lol

Old 02-22-2007, 05:17 AM
ignote
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cucho
Ever since I installed the milltek exhaust I am experiencing a lot of vibriation coming from the rear end of the car (when the car is not moving and especially at low revs) . Also, there is some mild burning smell coming from the back...and it is not the brake pads.
Have any of you experience any of this problems when installing the system???...or it might be incorrectly installed???.
Pls. enlighten me .
Look over the rear hangers and see if anything is touching.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
I had mine put by a shop and it's tight as a drum. No noise other then the sweet sound of the exhaust. I've heard of people having problems but only those that installed it them selves.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:42 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pauliekeys
I had mine put by a shop and it's tight as a drum. No noise other then the sweet sound of the exhaust. I've heard of people having problems but only those that installed it them selves.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:37 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed mine, myself last week. No problems at all. I do think they got a smell at first, just burning out residue inside, everyday the smell gets less and less.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently installed the Milltek on my 2006 MCS GP. After a few days, the top of both mufflers started to hit (rattle) on the heat shield. The interference was near the inside hangers. I had to add 1/4" spacers under the inside rubber hanger mounts to lower the mufflers. That solved the rattle. Seems like the inside hangers could be slightly longer to provide more clearance. Today I sent an email to Stratmosphere explaining the problem.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM
MiniMacPR
5th Gear
^^^ What he said. I also had the rattle against the heat shield and added the spacers on the rear hangers. Problem solved. That rattle was VERY annoying.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 PM
CooperDrew
3rd Gear
I had my Milltek shop installed, but it still made rattling when cold. If I gave it a nice drive then stopped for a few mins, the restart wouldn't give any rattle. My Milltek hangs just a tad bit to the left, but we found this to be somewhat common, so it didn't bother me to get it perfectly in the middle. But the rattle had to go.

I had heard about using washers or bending the heat shields back there to solve the Milltek rattle, but I looked and looked and didn't see anywhere it could have been making contact hot or cold. However, I did find this....

This is on the outer hanger on the driver side. The Milltek hanger was making contact with the hanger to the car. I was about to attempt some fancy cutting and welding business to make the hanger sit lower, but a little coercing of the Milltek hanger towards the rear of the car added about a 0.75-1 cm gap between the two which to this day has solved any and all rattle I had.

Hope this helps

-Drew

Old 04-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Milltek exhaust tends to 'stretch' quite a bit as it heats up. If the system was installed with the tips extending more than flush from the valance panel, there's a chance that the section of the pipes that split to go around the battery box is now pushing against the heat shield. There will be obvious marks where this occurs. Simply shorten the pipes at the clamp by about a half inch or more to correct this.

If the rattle/rumble happens after driving a bit, this could be the issue. You might also have to tweak the muffler hangers a bit if the system is hitting the floor heat shields.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CooperDrew
I had my Milltek shop installed, but it still made rattling when cold. If I gave it a nice drive then stopped for a few mins, the restart wouldn't give any rattle. My Milltek hangs just a tad bit to the left, but we found this to be somewhat common, so it didn't bother me to get it perfectly in the middle. But the rattle had to go.

I had heard about using washers or bending the heat shields back there to solve the Milltek rattle, but I looked and looked and didn't see anywhere it could have been making contact hot or cold. However, I did find this....

This is on the outer hanger on the driver side. The Milltek hanger was making contact with the hanger to the car. I was about to attempt some fancy cutting and welding business to make the hanger sit lower, but a little coercing of the Milltek hanger towards the rear of the car added about a 0.75-1 cm gap between the two which to this day has solved any and all rattle I had.

Hope this helps

-Drew
I did develop a slight rattle at low rpm just when starting off. After inspection I found that the muffler on the passenger side would make slight contact with the bottom of car. I cut some rubber gasket material to match the black brackets where they connect to the bottom of car. Put them on all four mounting brackets and problem solved.. Gasket material was about an 1/8".