Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pulley and emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 07:51 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, only 60 hrs till my scheduled pulley mod, but one last question re: pulley mod.....

Anyone done the pulley mod to their S and then have emissions checked? I would think that if the JCW kit has the same reduction pulley that this would not be an issue, but then again the JCW kit has ECU changes.,....right? ...anyone passed the "test" set forth by the DMV with the pulley?

Could we making this enviromentally friendly vehicle into a smog producing beast?

Any help appreciated....and no I'm not getting cold feet or posting to boost my numbers :smile:

His, Chile Red all over / Hers, EB UJ on top

Old 05-02-2003, 08:17 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Sounds like cold feet. I don't see how the pulley could affect emissions but I'm certainly no expert. An ECU maybe, pulley I would think no.

Just take a cold shower and sleep 50 of those 60 hrs away..then you'll be fine!

Old 05-02-2003, 08:27 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
My feet aren't cold, just cool. Read on...

I did a google search on Helix supercharger pulley and found this link....FAQ HPS Superchargers I read it, taking it with a grain of salt as you should everything on the web.

It is not referring to the exact same supercharger, but close enough....thought it was a reasonable question...

His, Chile Red all over / Hers, EB UJ on top

Old 05-02-2003, 08:28 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm,

anyone know if pulley/ECU mods would cause any emissions trouble?
this is very important because i live in California and the emissions here is stricter.

anybody?

bbt4

Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
>>My feet aren't cold, just cool. Read on...
>>
>>I did a google search on Helix supercharger pulley and found this link....FAQ HPS Superchargers I read it, taking it with a grain of salt as you should everything on the web.
>>
>>It is not referring to the exact same supercharger, but close enough....thought it was a reasonable question...
>>

It IS a reasonable question, TWOMINIs, I'm just joking with you !

Old 05-02-2003, 08:51 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Since emissions are checked at idle, i don't think it should affect them. But who knows about california!

Old 05-02-2003, 09:29 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
"But who knows about california! "

over here,

smog check station usually run the car a idle for a few minutes.
afterward, they would try to get the rpm up to 3500 (+/- 100) for about 180 seconds (3 minutes). then we wait for the print out.

i agree that at idle, mods or no mod, emissions should be the same, but what about the 180 second worth of 3500 rpm? will this cause any trouble?

bbt4

Old 05-02-2003, 10:11 PM
SCA
3rd Gear
>>"But who knows about california! "
>>
>>over here,
>>
>>smog check station usually run the car a idle for a few minutes.
>>afterward, they would try to get the rpm up to 3500 (+/- 100) for about 180 seconds (3 minutes). then we wait for the print out.
>>
>>i agree that at idle, mods or no mod, emissions should be the same, but what about the 180 second worth of 3500 rpm? will this cause any trouble?
>>
>>bbt4
>>

It is an excellent quetion that I have yet to get an answer to either. I actually have the same questions about ECU changes, aftermarket throttlebodies, catback exhausts. If you figure it out please post your findings. Won't be an issue until 5 years are up (current legislation has all cars beginning smog checks when they reach the 5 year point) or you sell it (seller responsible for smog certification). Good luck!

Old 05-03-2003, 05:52 AM
jlm
6th Gear
most of the emmissions concerns have to do with eliminating rich running, especially at idle, which is why they put those little caps over the mixture screws on carbs). If you can run leaner, you will burn more of the fuel and emit less un burned hydrocarbons. If your cat is working, the rest of the exhaust shouldn't matter.

the pulley is going to tend to run the car leaner, not richer; given that the car already runs too rich and does fine with emissions, I don't see a problem.

What the ECU mod is attempting to do (among other things, like igniton timing) is to lean out the mix at WOT, from 11:1 to around 13-12:1 for better performance; apparantly, the WOT fuel delivery settings are from a fuel map rather than tracking the O2 sensors, as the in-car O2 sensor range is not wide enough to read in the 11-12:1 range.

I am sure there are other issues; for example, the throttle doesn't get slammed shut, (the ecu controls that) and that could be for emissions control.

the issue is complex and not fully understood by us novices, so the only real way to tell is to try it out and report back.

Old 05-03-2003, 08:28 AM
katnkevin
2nd Gear
Nice info Jlm. I too live in California and have already done the exhaust switch but I held onto the original "just in case" when it comes to emission tests. I am on the cusp of purchasing the pulley/ecu upgrade and my only real concern is passing emissions. Looking forward to seeing some posts of those who have already done the testing with mentioned mods.
-Kevin

[/url] [/IMG]

Old 05-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
I have actually heard that the JCW kit might be delayed because of emissions troubles in Cali.

This information came through the my sales manager at MINI of Pittsburgh, and we have very little detail about the situation overall. We just know that we have been waiting to get a kit in to install on a car and now things are being delayed.

Old 05-05-2003, 09:47 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Very interesting question. If there are troubles in CA, then there will likely be here in MA too. Last year the entire annual emission inspection process in MA was upgraded. Whereas the test used to be just a tailpipe test at idle, it is now a much more thorough inspection of the entire emissions system (checking for all OEM components) and readings are taken at a range of RPMs while the car's up on rollers (so that it simulates actual driving conditions). I know the switch over was a big deal as a number of inspection locations dropped out of the program due to the high cost of the new test equipment and training. Anyway, this is I think what's now used in CA too.

Old 05-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Wesport
3rd Gear
This is what we have in Atlanta also. It has not been a problem in my "old" car. An 87 Audi Coupe GT with cam, P&P head, custom exaust and high flow cat. It still passes every year. Most of the test is run at 35MPH I think on sort of a Dyno.

Wes

Old 05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
rory
3rd Gear
I ordered a pulley from Randy, which should be here this week, made a puller and am ready to install when it shows up. Unless it smokes like a deisel, it's going on!!

emissons, smissions

Old 05-05-2003, 06:03 PM
jlm
6th Gear
WARNING: the pulley will cause excessive smoke...of your tires!

Old 05-06-2003, 05:37 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the engine management system is designed to work in closed loop always except for WOT (wide open throttle), cold start, and deceleration. closed loop means the O2 sensors read the oxygen content of the exhaust and constantly tell the ECU to richen/lean the mixture using short and long term fuel trim. in other words, the engine is not going to run richer or leaner except in open loop situations. you may be asking, what if the ecu reaches the limit of compensation, will it then run rich/lean? well, yes, and your service engine soon light will turn on. so, no light, no problem as far as emisions is concerned.