Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Anyone install the RSpeed exchaust for the MC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 03:51 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering if anyone has installed the RSpeed exhaust for the MC (non S) yet? I'm deciding between the rspped or the remus and would like to get feedback... thanks.

Old 04-29-2003, 06:32 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search for RSpeed and Remus (click on "search" to the right of the drop-down forum menu). There are a couple of really good threads on Cooper exhausts, with lots of info, links to movie/sound clips, etc.
Chris

Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Yup, chrisnl is right, search the existing threads. On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with another word or two. I installed an RSpeed on my MC a couple months ago - you may find a few posts of mine when you search.

I tried a Helix first and still think it's a great exhaust, but it just wasn't quite right for me. It was loud even at idle (IF the engine was cold) and it was impossible to pull away from a stop sign or light discretely. I once opened the garage door and started the MINI at around 2 a.m. (cold engine) and one of my neighbors called the police to complain that there were noisy, hotrodding, juvenile delinquents driving through the neighborhood disturbing their sleep. I only had the motor running for about 30 seconds - at idle - never touched the go pedal!!

Anyway, once I decided to try another I ordered and installed an RSpeed. I was disappointed at first because it sounded and felt like a step back from stock! There was also an occasional odd smell the first few days. Peter at RSpeed explained that this was normal at first and assured me I'd be pleasantly surprised in a day or so and that it would only get better with time. He was RIGHT! Within another two days the smell was a distant memory, the sound was greatly improved and Zippy was feeling lively again.

Since then the sound has improved gradually. It's a nice, mellow sound at idle. When we're under way (and if I'm behaving myself) it's louder than stock but still not "loud", though it's obvious to bystanders that something is VERY different. But, the minute I get impatient or decide to have a little fun it comes alive! It's almost like Zippy has two very different personalities...sort of a Jeckyl and Hyde effect. I love it!

It also feels to me like the RSpeed does well in the oomph department at lower revs - take-off from dead stop seems easier than with the Helix - pickup from low speeds seems stronger as well.

I'm keeping the RSpeed.

'02 IB/IB MC (name=ZIPPY) w/ assorted factory extras + SSR Comps (17&quot w/ B-stone Potenza S-03s + RDR rear swaybar + B&M short shifter + HSport ARCAs + Helix strut brace + RSpeed exhaust + PiperCross Viper CAI......etc

Old 04-29-2003, 10:17 PM
asaulo1
5th Gear
thanks for the reply... any intake mods? wondering how that affected overall oomph.... thanks again...

Old 04-29-2003, 11:13 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
I own a Pipercross Viper but reverted to the stock box w/ a Green filter before a visit to MINI service about 3 months ago - haven't taken the time to switch back yet. I think the Viper makes a noticeable difference but have no numbers to confirm it.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:18 PM
nfo
6th Gear
kurvhugr...
got any pics of your car?
i'd love to check it out!

Old 04-30-2003, 05:29 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Pics? Soon...but not here...don't want to hijack this thread.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:49 AM
asaulo1
5th Gear
no problem... pls. do.... would love to see pics of it as well... thanks....

Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kurvhugr, everytime I read your posts about the RSpeed I get goosebumps! I want that exhaust SO BAD!!! The way you describe sound and power are EXACTLY the type of changes I'm hoping for!

....it's a matter of budget and convincing the wife.... But I WILL have that exhaust (hopefully before the end of summer)!

Old 05-05-2003, 07:01 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Mini2Go, I'm glad to be of assistance. Fortunately, the RSpeed is also about the least expensive aftermarket cat-back available. sdw