Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dinan upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:39 AM
mholtsberg
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinan upgrades

Has anyone here done the DINAN performance on their MINI S..airbox, software, pulley etc. ?

Old 12-05-2005, 07:47 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I have been woundering if the pulley system package was worth it? The only problem is I don't wanna use there software

Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Why not their software? I am also trying to piece together information for when I start doing some mods.

Any Dinan experience? Coming from the BMW community, Dinan is HIGHLY regarded and respected for their r&d, warranty, quality, and performance.

mb

Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Im a Dinan Rep for the NY area.

What is it your needing to know.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:15 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
can you tell us about the pulley system type thinggy?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
can you tell us about the pulley system type thinggy?

Its a bit bigger than the JCW at 15% and comes with a tank reg and fuel rail reg. Boost is up'd to 15PSI and Hp with the Stage 5 software is up at 205+hp and is all covered under your factory warranty thru Dinan.

I have a fully built Dinan car at my dealer and the car hauls ***....After 4500 the car just takes off like a bat out of hell. Everyone who has every driven it was amazed with the power and how fast the rpm's go right to redline.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
So I am guessing that this is quite the safer route then just doing a pulley. Why do they have to be different :P

"The increase in boost pressure is accomplished in typical fashion, employing a smaller supercharger pulley. Unfortunately, extensive testing revealed that the stock fuel delivery system simply can’t keep up as boost and rpm increase. In order to address the lean condition at higher rpm, Dinan has developed fuel pressure regulators designed to ensure that adequate fuel is available in order to take full advantage of the additional boost pressure for maximum power output and reliability."

Stock is 11-psi and they are going to 15-psi. Sounds like a 15%. What I don't understand is why they feel its necassary to use the fuel system while other companies don't really see it as an issue

Old 12-05-2005, 08:51 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
So I am guessing that this is quite the safer route then just doing a pulley. Why do they have to be different :P

"The increase in boost pressure is accomplished in typical fashion, employing a smaller supercharger pulley. Unfortunately, extensive testing revealed that the stock fuel delivery system simply can’t keep up as boost and rpm increase. In order to address the lean condition at higher rpm, Dinan has developed fuel pressure regulators designed to ensure that adequate fuel is available in order to take full advantage of the additional boost pressure for maximum power output and reliability."

Stock is 11-psi and they are going to 15-psi. Sounds like a 15%. What I don't understand is why they feel its necassary to use the fuel system while other companies don't really see it as an issue

They see as this.....Up'ing the fuel pressure or duty cycle on the injectors in a software flash is the quickest way of handling what they need it to do but nobody knows in the long run if these components will fail down the road. Dinan just did the next best thing to cover themselves for warranty reasons.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I have a question - based on my mods (see below) could I add the stage 5 software without adding the fuel pressure component? Will a dealer install or insist that i also add on the fule pressure piece?

Warranty is not a concern to me.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
minimute
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
They see as this.....Up'ing the fuel pressure or duty cycle on the injectors in a software flash is the quickest way of handling what they need it to do but nobody knows in the long run if these components will fail down the road. Dinan just did the next best thing to cover themselves for warranty reasons.

Also much more profit in upping the fuel system vs flashing the software.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
1FSTMINI can you tell me more about their new cams?

Old 12-05-2005, 10:13 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
I have a question - based on my mods (see below) could I add the stage 5 software without adding the fuel pressure component? Will a dealer install or insist that i also add on the fule pressure piece?

Warranty is not a concern to me.
i cant speak for other authorized dealers, but i would do it with no problem....But it wouldnt be covered under there warranty.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VoiD
1FSTMINI can you tell me more about their new cams?
Thats a sticky subject with me. Im a dollar per HP kinda guy and there numbers werent impressing me at all......Granted, there cam is only $549 plus 3.2 hrs to swap and a newer software. The charts do show that both bands ( HP and TQ ) smooth out very considerable right over 7k so maybe with everything combined, it will be a great improvement overall to the TQ. Ill let you know how it feels when i do one down the road. Its alil more than other companies cam but its covered under warranty which is ok for the added $50-$75 difference in prices.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
i cant speak for other authorized dealers, but i would do it with no problem....But it wouldnt be covered under there warranty.
thanks - do you think the performance figures claimed would be about the same?

Old 12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
There pretty much always dead on with there numbers. I say this b.c if you look at the BMW HP numbers there not so outragous like other people claim there part make for HP. They HP gains very conservetive.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Threat
2nd Gear
I'm not a technical person, but I've recently had a few Dinan mods installed. Pulley & CAI and a milltek exhaust (I really wish Dinan made one for the '05 MCSC).

I have had no problems and can really notice the difference. While I have no basis for comparison JCW vs Dinan vs Alta vs Ultrik, etc I'm happy and have some peace of mind on warranty issues.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:49 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Threat
I'm not a technical person, but I've recently had a few Dinan mods installed. Pulley & CAI and a milltek exhaust (I really wish Dinan made one for the '05 MCSC).

I have had no problems and can really notice the difference. While I have no basis for comparison JCW vs Dinan vs Alta vs Ultrik, etc I'm happy and have some peace of mind on warranty issues.
Like every company out there, they have there own problems.....Software is one issue with cars built after June of this year and exhaust were another.......They worked out the exhaust part which was there supplier and is all fixed....As for conv, idk when they will have stuff for it.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
OK 1fstmini, tell me why I should opt for something like the dinan stage 5 instead of the JCW kit? As I stated above, I am well aware of Dinan's reputation, I'm just wondering if their setup is better for any reasons. Thanks for your help in this thread!

mb

Old 12-06-2005, 02:01 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Well besides the software being a problem for Dinan to crack for the latest version.

JCW = just over $6000 installed.
Dinan = $3800 installed. and uses half the components

I have driven both systems pleanty of times to know that the Dinan engine upgrades have more power feel over the JCW....Ive raced a JCW car vs our Dinan car and pulled it by cars.

Any Q's?

EDIT: Since you live in Jersey, your more than welcome to stop up and take the Dinan car for a ride.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wrong comparison.

Originally Posted by minimute
Also much more profit in upping the fuel system vs flashing the software.
Upping the Fuel System vs Larger Injectors is more on the mark.

Matt

Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear

EDIT: Since you live in Jersey, your more than welcome to stop up and take the Dinan car for a ride.
Thank you for that offer! Once this crappy weather subsides, I'll be in touch.

I like this option for a number of reasons:
  • Again, coming from a BMW and reading a lot in that community, Dinan is IT.
  • Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but it seems that not many people have a Dinan s1 or s2. I believe I can think of ONE on this board, and I am not even sure of that! (that is based on reading people's sigs.)
  • Warranty is an issue for me, and the fact that it falls under it is an eye-opener.
  • I trust Steve Dinan much more than I do myself to put a bunch of go-fast goodies together to make a harmonious outcome.
  • It's a cheaper route for the "all at once" modder than the jcw.

Alas, I have more questions:
  1. How does the fuel delivery system affect efficiency - I know, I know, I shouldn't be asking that if I'm considering real modifications, but I want to know.
  2. Can I retain my jcw intake?
  3. Can I retain my stock 05 exhaust? I like it and do not want anything louder. What will the power loss be?
  4. Will my (princeton) dealer install all of this? Will they hassle me about warranty issues? ( I know you can't nec. answer those)
  5. Going forward, what would the cost differences be of maintaining a Dinan s2 over a stock car? Shocks, springs, etc...
  6. When you say software is a problem, is it still a problem?
  7. Why doesn't Dinan address the brakes?
  8. You said in a post that the cost was 3,800 installed; that wasn't the complete s2 kit, correct?
  9. If I am correct in saying that this is not a popular option (I may not be) why is that in your opinion? To me it seems much more attractive than piecing together different parts at different times, but I know I'm not of the majority.
  10. In your opinion, what is the best value in the Dinan lineup? The whole shebang, or is going more modest a better solution?
Ok that was a lot of questions, but you better believe I wouldn't consider spending 3-5k on something I wasn't completely informed on

And thank you again, 1fstmini, for all of your help.

mb

Old 12-06-2005, 04:23 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Umm wow....Ill try to answer these as best i can. ::takes a deeeep breathe::

1. Yes, When entering the modified zone you start to play with your MPG. There arent any real numbers but its not that badly affected compared to other company mods.

2. If you like. You dont have to buy a S package as you can piece the items out that your looking to do.

3. Again....You can buy the pieces seperatly. Power is said to be about 4hp gain with there exhaust plus the weight you lose with it.

4. No....Motor Works West is the only Dinan dealer in NJ. http://dinancars.com/dealers.asp?state=New%20Jersey

5. No maintance needed other than checking the air filter and changing your oil.

6. There software engineer is having problems cracking the new version.

7. They do.....We offer a Front brakes Brembo kit in black or red...
Comes with :
320mm Slotted Rotors with Aluminum Hats (Stock Rotors Measure 276mm)
4-Piston, Aluminum Calipers (Available in Black or Red)
Goodridge DOT/TUV Approved Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Mounting Brackets and Assembly Hardware
Dinan-spec Ferodo Brake Pads with Sensor Provision

8. Correct....Only difference in the S2 is the suspension components.

9. Most of the customers i see are looking for more power only and very happy with the Mini suspension as which is understandable. Then you have some who want to do this n that first and something later on. Mixed bunch.

10. I would go with the whole engine upgrade at once.....For $3800 installed and still covered under your factory warranty ( thru Dinan and only at an authorized Dinan dealer ) is the best system out there and the power is amazing. Knock off $749 plus an hour labor ( $110 ) for the exhaust and your good to go.

I will say you have asked me more technical Q than any customer i have ever talked too and im glad to see your very interested in our system.

Let me know if ive answered your Q to your needs and feel free to ask anything that you would like to know.

Barry

Old 12-06-2005, 06:29 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Welp, you passed that one with flying colors! The reason I ask so much is because I modded my old 1986 325, and it was great for a while, but once the mods had miles on them, it really lost its luster. Plus, the mods added up to other problems with the car - stiffened suspension meant that many of the other suspension components wore quicker, etc...

I want the best I can get, and I don't want to regret modding in the future as I did with the BMW. I should mention that I never got tired of the Dinan chip I had in there.

I'll stay in touch as I research more.

Is there anyone out there with anymore of these products/packages?

mb

Edit - will the brembos fit 16in x-lites?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:36 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, after checking out Dinans website, i'm really considering going Dinan instead of some of the other aftermarket parts sullpiers i was going to.

I'm really impressed!

time to take a drive to BMW Cleveland for my intake!

Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 AM
mholtsberg
2nd Gear
thanks for ALL the input

I started this thread because I was not sure about the Dinan mods vs JCW works for my 05 brg MCSc... I was trying to decide what to do...This has really helped seal the deal. I am thinking of intake, software and pulley. I do not think I will change exhaust or suspension (rear sway bar maybe?) When it is all finished, I will post a few pics and review..my install date is 12/21 if all goes well with the Hurricane Wilma repairs on body
ps any thoughts on the front strut tower bar other than visual impact?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Dinan upgrades