Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Vendors Shootout .....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:15 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vendors Shootout .....

I just thinking why we don't see a vendors shootout.I think in each vendor prepared a MCS with all there mods and we see how much whp it has and the times it makes (1/4 mile).Like helix 13,alta ,M7,mini madness ETC?

Old 09-11-2005, 07:43 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm all about that!!

Actually, we have been to several events where there have been competitive events held. We were at this year's Mini Meet West and took the trophy in both classes we ran cars in. We also ran last year's MINI Challenge at West Meets East at Blackhawk Farms, also taking top time of day.

I would love to see an objectively run event with dyno times, skidpad results, autocross times, roadcourse times, 0-60 and back again times, etc. all against the other MINIs out there.

Hope to see it happen!

Randy

Old 09-11-2005, 08:02 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
I would love to see an objectively run event with dyno times, skidpad results, autocross times, roadcourse times, 0-60 and back again times, etc. all against the other MINIs out there.
YEAH BABY! A comprehensive shoot-out would be the only way to go

Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM
karvinbass
3rd Gear
I would love to see that since Helix has there turbokompressor kit, I wonder who would win....

Mark

Old 09-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
First in

And Randy gets the best reaction time.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:54 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
I dont see "drag race" in there. Id like to know whos faster with there own products. i want to see how much power you have with the products you developed.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
I'm all about that!!

Actually, we have been to several events where there have been competitive events held. We were at this year's Mini Meet West and took the trophy in both classes we ran cars in. We also ran last year's MINI Challenge at West Meets East at Blackhawk Farms, also taking top time of day.

Hope to see it happen!

Randy
Randy -

Just wondering, what was the top time of the day at Blackhawk, who was the driver, and what mods were on the car?

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2005, 07:29 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Randy's head is in the right place as always

"I would love to see an objectively run event with dyno times, skidpad results, autocross times, roadcourse times, 0-60 and back again times, etc. all against the other MINIs out there."

The two things that would bring to light the most positive aspects of tuner Mods for me would be the skidpad and 0-60-0 times. The other events weight more toward the driver. Tires being the major factor in those results. If this could get the sponsorship of a tire manufacturer providing all the same rubber we would see the true results of the different tuners efforts.

This is what a MINI is meant to do, the drag race is not what a MINI was meant for. Yeah sure, I have drag raced other cars, it has it's place and is fun. I'm not into getting serious about it in my MINI and breaking parts as always happens when you get serious. It is just not the right platform for the drag strip so your fighting an uphill battle trying to be competitive.

Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s

The two things that would bring to light the most positive aspects of tuner Mods for me would be the skidpad and 0-60-0 times.
Skidpad isn't very useful - there's no dynamic weight transfer. Slalom would be a much better choice if you're trying to eliminate the driver from the equation.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:05 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by markbradford
Randy -

Just wondering, what was the top time of the day at Blackhawk, who was the driver, and what mods were on the car?

Thanks!
Mark,

I don't remember the time to be honest - I think it was 1:21, I was driving, and the car was my "Mule", a very heavily modified car.

Randy

Old 09-12-2005, 08:06 AM
electricblue
1st Gear
Thank's for answer the thread..

i just like to see this because like other guys we want to mods ours minis and we see a lot of products with different dynos results. and we don't know wish parts are the best for the mods that we want.somes like more the road race other the 1/4 mile, etc. we love to see all the vendors with all your parts and see whats the gain in whp, all in the same dyno.

I'm all about that!!

Hope to see it happen!

Randy

Old 09-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
IMO this type of shootout would be nice for the marketing guys, but of very little use for Joe Mod Maker. VERY few people put every bit of kit on their car. Also, IIRC thus far the US tuners don't produce their own exhausts, so that part is out of the equation.
But hey, I'll never turn down a little entertainment...

Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 AM
jlm
6th Gear
in both skidpad and 0-60-0, tires and suspension are key;

in 0-60-0 also power, but hook-up is key.

in the 1/4, top speed will be a power measure, but ET will involve hook-up and driver skill.

on the track, largely driver.

might as well have Helix time his run to Gino's

Old 09-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
We'll show up

For those interested, we're doing a dyno day and free BBQ for MINIs on Sunday the 18th, all are welcome. It's not exactly a shoot out, but I'm sure bragging rights will be established.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:30 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
IMO this type of shootout would be nice for the marketing guys, but of very little use for Joe Mod Maker. VERY few people put every bit of kit on their car. Also, IIRC thus far the US tuners don't produce their own exhausts, so that part is out of the equation.
But hey, I'll never turn down a little entertainment...
Actually, we are producing our own exhaust, and it should be ready later this month. We are doing some testing this week, and I'll be sure to post the numbers.

The Mule, just for info, does have most all of the parts we sell (hence it's name - the test mule).

Hope that helps!
Randy

Old 09-12-2005, 08:34 AM
dapickler
1st Gear
I guess everyone forgot about the SPI car who is about 200 hp above the rest of the cars out there.

Old 09-12-2005, 08:44 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Good Morning....

Love to see such event happening.

But with that said, we will not partake unless there some ground rules that must be followed, here are some thoughts.

1. Must use Eaton stock supercharger, no turbos, Twin screw SC's or other
power adders like Nitrous or electric SC's Etc.

2. Car must be streetable (licensed for Hwy use).

3. DOT tires that must last thru the whole event.

4. No hired guns to drive the car.

5. Must pass smog test in California, Catalytic converter must be part
of the package as the car does come with it.

I'm sure there are other ideas and suggestions to consider.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 09-12-2005, 08:58 AM
dapickler
1st Gear
Why don't we just run the stock MCS then?
It's a shoot out Peter, not a hand cuffing event.

Good Morning....

Love to see such event happening.

But with that said, we will not partake unless there some ground rules that must be followed, here are some thoughts.

1. Must use Eaton stock supercharger, no turbos, Twin screw SC's or other
power adders like Nitrous or electric SC's Etc.

2. Car must be streetable (licensed for Hwy use).

3. DOT tires that must last thru the whole event.

4. No hired guns to drive the car.

5. Must pass smog test in California, Catalytic converter must be part
of the package as the car does come with it.

I'm sure there are other ideas and suggestions to consider.

peter
Team M7
562-608-8123[/QUOTE]

Old 09-12-2005, 09:19 AM
M7
Former Vendor
Yes I agree handcuffs are for the bedroom, but adding turbos etc would not
show real world performance, (99.99%) of the owners here on the board
are not using exotic concoctions for there cars and as such would be of no
interest for most.

By using the original Eaton charger, we would see what really can be done when we push the envelope.
If any thing goes, and any changes can be done, all it will prove is that one
tuner has more cash then the next.

Peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 09-12-2005, 09:22 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you kidding??? The point is, anyone can remove stuff, but weren't we trying to make this relevant to the consumer???? Peter is saying to do exactly that. Why would anyone run non-DOT tires on the street? So, why allow it here? The only valid point is possibly regarding the SC, but unless you didn't know, M7 has no non-eaton options, so they can't be there otherwise. Get it? To "partake." Quit yer complaining!

Originally Posted by dapickler
Why don't we just run the stock MCS then?
It's a shoot out Peter, not a hand cuffing event.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Are you kidding??? The point is, anyone can remove stuff, but weren't we trying to make this relevant to the consumer???? Peter is saying to do exactly that. Why would anyone run non-DOT tires on the street? So, why allow it here? The only valid point is possibly regarding the SC, but unless you didn't know, M7 has no non-eaton options, so they can't be there otherwise. Get it? To "partake." Quit yer complaining!
[/QUOTE]

Ingsoc....dont listen to Dapickler....he has thoroughly proven in many of his posts that he doesnt know what he's talking about. Much like the throttle body comment, he was TRYING to bash M7...chances are he is a 15 year old who doesnt know much about cars. Just ignore trolls

Check out any tuner shootout, like the tuner challenge Mini Madness participated in for road and track. They all have SOME rules. These all seem very reasonable for the shootout. The turbo may need a full discussion, but the rest is totally fine.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all due respect Randy, a no-holes barred competition is much more exciting. Rules complicate matters, give rise to finger pointing and excuses.

Bring yer biggest and baddest and let it rip! No rules mean no rules...and no excuses and no finger pointing. A very pure and single minded approach
un-adulterated by rules.

...okay, no NOX. Very boring mod, too simplistic, meaning, the results are no surprise.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:32 AM
dapickler
1st Gear
Are you not confident M7 can keep up with the rest of the vendors? It's obvious your bias since you bought the Cosworth kit. Mind sharing your numbers?

[/size]
Originally Posted by ingsoc

Old 09-12-2005, 09:33 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
I think Peter is right on this, by having some kind of rules that all vendors should follow because most of us will never see turbo, Nitrous or electric SC’s on your MINI.

Rules should be set for stock MINI with maybe only CAI, 15% or 16% pulley, header, exhaust, same type of tires to be fair and most of all it should be street legal because 99% of us do use our mini to commute. :smile:

What do you all think?

This will show who got the best mod out there for the public.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:35 AM
dapickler
1st Gear
Rally, there has not been one case of the throttle body making more than 2hp. Stop acting like you actually know something.

[/size]Ingsoc....dont listen to Dapickler....he has thoroughly proven in many of his posts that he doesnt know what he's talking about. Much like the throttle body comment, he was TRYING to bash M7...chances are he is a 15 year old who doesnt know much about cars. Just ignore trolls

Check out any tuner shootout, like the tuner challenge Mini Madness participated in for road and track. They all have SOME rules. These all seem very reasonable for the shootout. The turbo may need a full discussion, but the rest is totally fine.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Vendors Shootout .....