Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Using Nitrous To Spray I/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using Nitrous To Spray I/C

I was talking to my friend yesterday (drives an '05 WRX), and he was telling me about someone using Nitrous to spray the intercooler on a wrx and how it gave good gains in power. I have a 75shot Nitrous kit with all the necessary hardware available for me to buy at a good price. So my question is, would this really give good gains in power. Because i plan on buying a 19% pulley within the next month or so, i was thinking spraying the i/c with no2 would be good to help cool down the extra heat produced by the pulley. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks In Advance.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:45 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Use CO2 instead...nitrous is too EXPENSIVE to be wasting as a cooling agent :smile: Better yet, try H2O/alcohol injection into the intake...cheap high octane Keep the nitrous inside the engine where it helps you make the most power...it cools the charge better that way.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:51 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a DEI i/c spray kit on my wrx when I had it. It rid heatsoak very
well, but couldn't really tell much of a difference if it actually gained
anything more than what my piggyback was already doing in an ideal temperature.

I had to use nitrous because there were no co2 refill places open
during the weekends or afterhours. paintball gun places could not
refill it because the fitting is different. (but they were shocked to
see the size of a 10lbs bottle when i brought it to the store as
most kids have never seen such large co2/n2o bottle )

imho, unless you're a hp bragger or do drag racing at the strip,
don't waste your money.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:52 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The question will be, and you should ask your friend about this, is how much of the nitrous is making it's way to the intake? In a Mini, some will. If it's too much then you might be in trouble. It's also a reason that your friend is seeing power gains.

Now, I do know from first hand experience that cooling down the IC like this will show large power gains, somewhere in the 18-20 hp. Nothing like a cold IC.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Correct but only if you're using a ton of gas to chill the IC...Also, if the excess nitrous gets into your intake, I wonder if your A/F ratio is still safe. Conversely, injesting CO2 might have the opposite effect of choking your engine...no? Regardless, N2O is way too expensive to be blowing around in the air. I only purge my system when I'm home for good to relieve the solenoids of pressure. Other than that, it's not even worth wasting to gain remove the small hesitation that the stale air in the lines might cause...unless you're at the strip of course.
Originally Posted by onasled
The question will be, and you should ask your friend about this, is how much of the nitrous is making it's way to the intake? In a Mini, some will. If it's too much then you might be in trouble. It's also a reason that your friend is seeing power gains.

Now, I do know from first hand experience that cooling down the IC like this will show large power gains, somewhere in the 18-20 hp. Nothing like a cold IC.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
how much would a n2o/co2 system cost? how much does it cost to fill up? i can get the nitrous system for $150. how much would each fill-up be?

Old 08-13-2005, 10:39 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Use CO2 instead...nitrous is too EXPENSIVE to be wasting as a cooling agent :smile: Better yet, try H2O/alcohol injection into the intake...cheap high octane Keep the nitrous inside the engine where it helps you make the most power...it cools the charge better that way.
Don't worry, i plan on using water/alcohol injection like the one your using. Not in my plans any time soon as i want to do looks (wheels, aerokit, paint, etc.) before i do performance. Only getting a pulley because my friends are buying it for me. and i'm only considering the nitrous because it's available to me at a good price.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:46 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
dont waste your time!

ive tried using CO2 to spray the intercooler but it takes a lot of gas to cool the intercooler and the effects and the gas wont last that long,
it will be a very expensive way to gain ponies,
also it is nearly impossible to keep the gas from entering the intake and this has the complete opposite effect for CO2 anyway,
as MSFITOY said use the NOS system as it was intended,
I nearly have myself convinced this is the way to go,
still a bit chicken about adding NOS to my car,

Old 08-14-2005, 07:39 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Be careful about a $150 N2O system. Poor and/or incompatible design is the primary cause of blown engines. The M7 Venom is the only system that I'm aware of that is designed for the Mini S. Not to say other systems wouldn't work...just that you'd need to do more research on nozzle size and fuel requirements needed before bolting any kit into the Mini.

BTW...a 10# bottle refill for nitrous is around $45 at Ramcharger Love to find a cheaper refill shop in Detroit Metro area...