Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Water repellant fabric that breathes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:29 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Water repellant fabric that breathes?

After doing the Xenon washer removal mod (www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46365), I'm now left with these cool flow paths into the engine bay.

and a blury close-up...

I could very easily use a high temp silicone which I already have to adhere the chrome lifters, but since we won't see rain for several months, I'd like to find a solution that will allow for air flow, and at the same time prevent water from entering. Any ideas?

I've heard of filter socks (like to prevent hydrolock), but after doing a search, I really didn't find a whole lot. I appreciate any input you might have. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2005, 01:55 AM
minicoop78
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do you care if water gets in there. it will hit the wheel wells and roll out. nothing to worry about.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:49 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
When driving, particularly at higher speeds, there is aiflow under the hood. With these holes, I feel quite certain, there is even more, which is great. However, water that enters will not just fall straight down. It will be distributed wherever the air path takes it. I would prefer not to have water hit my ECU, UNIChip, electrical connections, coil, spark plug wires & boots, etc...

I recall a nylon type fabric that allows for air flow, yet blocks water. Maybe I'll try a boating or jet ski place later today...

Old 07-09-2005, 10:29 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The description "water-repellent fabric that breathes" is often applied to materials like Gore-Tex, which is used in camping/backpacking and sports apparel. I doubt it is what you were hoping for. Such materials don't allow air to freely flow through. They are meant to protect you from the rain, yet allow some water vapor (i.e. sweat) to evaporate through so you don't get too clammy and hot underneath.

Old 07-09-2005, 10:40 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
rkw, thanks for chiming-in. Actually, it's stuff like Gore-Tex that had me thinking about this! Being an avid mountaineer, I have plenty of gear with this stuff. As you alluded, it is not ideal for this application...

One of our NAM guys works for a jet ski company. He might be aware of something, again, like a nylon sock that slips over an intake filter... Thanks again.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:01 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Goretex only passes air and not liquid when one side of the layer is at a different temp than the other.

Tony: my highest peak was Rainier, highest point: West Col, 22k.(Nepal)

Old 07-09-2005, 11:44 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Heck, I might stop by REI today as well... John, I recall you before saying that you once lived out this way, and that's when you tackled Ranier. Still planning on Denali...

I'll report back later after I visit REI and a boating shop...

Old 07-10-2005, 06:28 PM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
check this out: http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

We use this on our jet ski's to prevent water from entering the engine. Works pretty good

Old 07-10-2005, 06:46 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you could stick a fire hose in there and there wouldnt be enough water to ever damage anything in there.

you will be fine, make a little mesh insert like the mesh they have on the M7 grille.

Old 07-10-2005, 11:58 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnD
check this out: http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

We use this on our jet ski's to prevent water from entering the engine. Works pretty good
John, a big thank you! I did much searching on various key words, yet never went to the K&N website. Boy, do I feel like an idiot .

rednwhitecooper, mesh insert like on the M7 grille? I have the M7 lower grille with no such meshing. Maybe it's on the newer ones, or maybe your're thinking of the AGS which was to offer something like this down-the-road...

And while you might be right about nothing happening regarding possible water damage, I don't want to risk it. On the driver side opening, it's virtually a straight shot to my UNIChip, which sits on top of the ECU, which is right above a butt-load of major fuses. If I can prevent water from entering here, I will do so, and feel better about it .

John, thanks again for the link!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:42 PM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
tony, you're wasting time and energy that could be put toward some real power or lightweight mods :smile: :smile: . anything with a weave tight enough to keep out water isn't going to flow diddly air through.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
time, energy and money also. I can get such a mesh sock for about 20 bucks, and how it will flow, I don't know. I sent an email to K&N late Sunday night, and have not heard back as of yet...

If I can find some easy way to check what cooling is had by them now (open, with no mesh), then I can easily close them up, and measure it again to get a delta. If minimal, I can assume that it would be even less with this mesh in place, and possibly not even bother...

After looking at thermometers (price), I'm going to pass on this experiment. Heck, I might just pass on this whole thing, and just plug-up the holes. Sorry for the bother guys...