Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Little Car That Could: Another Dyno Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 09:55 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Little Car That Could: Another Dyno Thread

Greetings! Well, I've bit the big one and ordered a Cosworth package (P&P SC, 16% pulley, Cosworth head [with valves and spring goodies], Schrick cam, AGS w/ 65->62mm velocity-stacked TB + CF heatshield, Cosworth port matched intake manifold, plugs, 400cc injectors, and MTH tune). I'm adding all of this to my stock '04 EB/W Cooper S [three packages, S Lites w/ runflats, etc]. I will also be doing the VGS mod, adding an M7 hood scoop, and their springs.

In preparation for delivery of goodies in the next week or so , I decided to go run my car on the local dyno tonight for a baseline. The runs were with a fan blowing from the front of the vehicle. Here are my quite pleasing results . SAE corrected, WHP:

run 1 (84.94 F, 30.03 inHg, 57% humidity, SAE=1, sea level): 155.43 WHP @ ~6700
run 2 (85.18 F, 30.04 inHg, 57% humidity, SAE=1, sea level): 150.30 WHP @ redline

The guys who run the dyno are friends of mine, so I decided to use their roller in spite of the fact that they don't have a wideband O2 sensor yet. It is coming next week, but even so it will be no good for my car anyways cause I have my cats, right? I did not get torque measurements for the run. I forgot to ask . Anyways, I'll scan/photograph the graph tomorrow, hopefully, and post it.

When my parts come, it's all going on, and then it's back to the dyno. I intend to go back to the same place for continuity's sake, so please no flaming. Constructive criticism is always welcome .

Please understand, I'm only posting this for the good of you, my friends in the community. Play nice and don't hate what I'm doing.

Last edited by ingsoc; 08-30-2005 at 04:32 AM. Reason: obsessive perfectionism...the stuff of champions!
Old 06-30-2005, 10:02 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sounds interesting I cant wait to hear what type of gains you see

Old 07-01-2005, 02:56 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no pulley?

Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
oops. yes, M7 16% pulley. good catch!

Old 07-01-2005, 04:18 PM
jlm
6th Gear
you should get a 200+ wheel hp reading, done on the same dyno that gave you 153whp.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
you should get a 200+ wheel hp reading, done on the same dyno that gave you 153whp.
155...and yes, I'm shooting for an even 205 !

Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
I'm excited, too, about the MTH tune cause it allows revving to 7300 rpm. Yummy!

Old 08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Hey guys. A little update is in order. I received all of my M7 parts in the mail, as promised, for install this weekend . Peter was quite awesome to deal with, and he has taken many of my phone calls over the past few weeks. Great guy!

It's all here [well, cept my oil catch can and springs, they're back ordered]! . All of the stuff looks awesome. The supercharger is coated, ported, full of love! The AGS is now RTVed [that was simple but fun]! I don't understand what the big hold up around here about RTV is. For those who don't know, RTV is for making gaskets, and many true gear heads use it all of the time for that purpose. It needs to sit for 24 hrs, but that ain't really hard to do . I'm going to be opening the head and intake manifold tomorrow when it's time for install, but they're packed gorgeously. All of the stuff arrived really well packed, with not one issue.

I now have: injectors, plugs, intake manifold, AGS, CF heatshield , throttle body, head, pulley, lots of pipes/tubes/connectors, Schrick cam, and supercharger! It all looks so beautiful. Anyways, my good autocrossing buddy Luis is opening the first and only MINI tuning shop in Miami called Precision Autowerks [land of mucho MINIs!!], and he's gonna be doing my install this weekend. He's a GREAT mechanic, and I'm very happy to say my car is the first one getting engine work in his new shop . I even get to watch/help out with the install, which is mondo cool!

I'm waiting on the software from Franz [apparently he's on vacation, but M7 pulled some strings so everyone else who is still waiting on a tune, please don't hate on me when I get mine early ...], but it should be going on Monday. Peter says it'll run fine, just a bit rich but still ok. I'll take it pretty easy. Can't wait to post more! Thanks for reading, wish me luck !

Ingsoc, signing off!

Old 08-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Sounds exciting, that's cool that you get to participate in the install. I just finished getting done installing my friends NISMO CAI in his G35 Coupe and that was fun, i couldn't imagine how it would be to install your Cosworth Package. I live in Miami also, looking to get my car pullied soon and was wondering if you could tell me the address to the shop. Is it already open? I would love to pass by and see the shop and your car (if your there). Thanks and Good Luck.

Old 08-05-2005, 07:43 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Some details on the shop doing the work, Precision Autowerks:

Address:
7254 NW 25th St.
Miami, Fl 33122
(305) 591-7434

The owner, Luis Sanchez, is a buddy of mine. He has worked for years in Miami, and now he's bought a friend's shop. He's an awesome guy. He races his own MINI @ autox around Florida [he's incredibly fast and top 3 ranked in the region!], and he develops his own parts, too. He fabricated a front mount intercooler for his last MCS that was _sweet_. I wanna get one sometime. And, shh, but he's thinking of developing an entirely invisible [from the top!] twin-charge system... If you're ever around, come over to his place and just chat with him. He's a MINIac for sure.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Long-overdue Updates

I'm sorry that this thread has gone silent for so long. That's my fault. Below, I will adapt a post that I just made yesterday, regarding the status of my car. Life has been a lot more hectic than I had hoped, and so the project is on hold until this summer. Here's my update:

My car is being used to develop some really novel software technology, so bottom line is I haven't gotten final dynos yet, since dynos cost money and I can see better uses of my money in the meantime ! My hope is that one day soon it'll all be set and my own numbers will be available. [answering a question posed about dyno runs for my car]... If you search around here, you'll find some info about the car on which the kit was developed, but I'll paste links here to the relevant dyno data. What information is available is, as you can see, plainly featured....

before and after dynos of the car:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1&d=1127704880
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2&d=1127704880

The kit made a huge difference in my car, when it went on originally, minus the M7/MTH software. I got a quick dyno with stock software and the M7 400cc injectors done before embarking on the software journey, and it made 188 whp [I think I remember], with AF ratios WICKEDLY RICH- with sensor behind the cat, below 10:1 from like 3-6.5k rpm [again, off the top of my head]. There was clearly a ton of power to be gained. Motorsports3 ["Fastest non-nitrous..."] apparently gained about 30 whp just by using an APEX-I to dial in his fuel after installing the Globalmotorworks head, for a final figure of 210 whp or so [see https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...64&postcount=7 regarding his buildup].

I have every reason to believe that, with software, mine will be right up there, which will be pretty awesome for a pullied car . But, when I originally purchased the kit last summer, I decided not to use the MTH tune that M7 has on their project car, out of a desire to have someone closer to me do the job. I wanted something different.

It definately would have been easier and quicker to just spring for the included software, but I think that right about now I'm quite happy I didn't. I hope to have everything ready sometime this summer and then will let everyone know all about it!

I will gladly answer any questions, via pm or here. I couldn't be happier with the kit and its output so far. I highly recommend it.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Nice work! . can u post some pics of the car?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:22 AM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Sure! Here's a favorite of mine. There are more in my gallery, but I haven't had time to take any really awesome ones, yet.