Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 19% + Larger injectors + MTH = All Smiles

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Morales
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19% + Larger injectors + MTH = All Smiles

I've been running 17% with MTH since last September.

Went to Helix last week to get the 19% and Injectors and I loaded the MTH when Eric was done.
This combination is fantastic. The car pulls hard. Acceleration is effortless. I did some 70mph-90mph bursts in 6th on the way home and the power is there. What would normally have best been done by downshifting to 5th is no longer necessary.
No official dyno numbers, but the infamous butt-dyno is pleased. Go out and get this done!

Old 06-25-2005, 01:05 PM
bouray
3rd Gear
Welcome to what others have previously referred to as the dark side. Congrad's, you now have THE hot setup for street driving, IMHO.

Old 06-26-2005, 11:54 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bouray
Welcome to what others have previously referred to as the dark side. Congrad's, you now have THE hot setup for street driving, IMHO.
Hot setup for the track too?

Old 06-27-2005, 07:10 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
Not necessarily. Folks with well tuned 15%-17% have done real well on various types of courses. Seems like where the 19% accels in adding more grunt down low in the rpm band, this is not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. Depends on what type of event one is running.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
I know this will start a arguement but.... IMO GIAC would of been better for that setup

Old 06-27-2005, 07:55 AM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... But GIAC would have cost 4x more ! Is it 4x better?

Old 06-27-2005, 08:17 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Exactly - sure you get a few more HP with the other choices - but MTH is a LOT cheaper!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:48 AM
Morales
4th Gear
I like the ability to switch files without needing to ship out my ECU or drive down to Helix. I agree the GIAC may be slightly better, but the price point and flexibility of MTH is what sold me.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can we all just agree...

that none of the "as bought" maps are perfect? And that for every tuning method out there there are good and bad points? There are lots of ways to skin the tuning cat, why complain that some of us choose a different knife?

We've heard all the names, Giac, Unichip, Shark, MTH blah blah blah blah blah.... And we all know that some have really nice features (tune timing and fuel, or easy re-maps whatever) and some don't (Apexi doesn't do timing, MTH can have some longggg waits for maps, Shark is a factory return.....)

But they all make SOME improvement, more if your car hits the mark that they are tuned for, but none are perfect....

Me, I'm looking for the easiest way to get control of my own tuning. That means I have to get access to wideband data, data logging, and remapping. I can spend a bit on the wideband (PLX R500 is in the lead, covers data logging too!), and then MTH gets me a bunch of programming other than the maps, but I have to use e-mail and patience, and I'm not too good at patience, or I have to go with Apexi, and give up timing tuning, but get control of my own fuel mapping. Then no more dyno needed! I can use an electronic one (the car is a mass too, so you can use your own 0-60 times or whatever.....) But I fully realize that both of these paths aren't perfect, and that if any of us were worth our salt, we'd just go buy a race computer and throw out the stock wiring harness!

I'm just looking to get control over my own tunes....

Matt

Old 06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Actually. After you are in GIAC's system...you can goto any GIAC dealer and get a reflash....or upgrade.

GIAC = used by all high end tuners... if cost is a major factor then MTH should serve its purpose. But isn't the MTH not a full flash? Like the GIAC is a full flash that means they actually worked out fuel maps and etc... isn't the MTH one of those.. "Lets trick the ECU" type of deals? I could be totally wrong though...

Old 06-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Huh????

Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
GIAC = used by all high end tuners
I'm sure all the rest of the electronic engine control supplieres would be happy to know that they'd screwed up!
Want a kick in the pants? Check this out.....
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/products/tec3.html
Oh, I forgot. It's not a GIAC

Matt

Old 06-27-2005, 04:56 PM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Pat_Cooper
Actually. After you are in GIAC's system...you can goto any GIAC dealer and get a reflash....or upgrade.

GIAC = used by all high end tuners... if cost is a major factor then MTH should serve its purpose. But isn't the MTH not a full flash? Like the GIAC is a full flash that means they actually worked out fuel maps and etc... isn't the MTH one of those.. "Lets trick the ECU" type of deals? I could be totally wrong though...
THe biggest issue I have with GIAC (if this wasn't an issue I would have done it over MTH even though it's 3x as much) is that it doesn't temper the traction control system. This is a major issue with a modded car and the stock TCS. I hated having to turn it off everytime I drove the car, pretty much every take off would trip it. MTH fixed all that, GIAC would not have. The driveability of the MTH is what sells it, not the HP gains like the other solutions.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I want it all!

Originally Posted by kaelaria
MTH fixed all that, GIAC would not have. The driveability of the MTH is what sells it, not the HP gains like the other solutions.
Point is, with proper programming one should be able to get the HP the others do as well. Get into the maps and you can make the computer do whatever you want it to! So if a data logger and some other stuff can help Franz dial in the tune, then we should be able to get the best of both worlds!

For those that are into real inexpesive ideas.....
look here for a $25 logger. I"m ordering one right now....

Matt