Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:14 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!

Dyno results from Euro Styles East!
Euro Styles East, a BMW/Mini tuner recently purchased a Mustang MD AWD-500
dyno and has been Breaking it in!

Brian used his 05 Mini S to do some independent testing of our intake
systems. His car is an 05 MCS, with:
Alta 19% Pulley
GIAC 19% Software
JCW 380cc Fuel Injectors
Milltek Catback
Denso IK22 Spark Plugs
And stock intake (for now)

Peak WHP with the stock air box was 158WHP at 7000RPM
Peak Torque was 144.6 ft-lbs at 3500RPM

Since Brain had the time he threw on the panel filter first.
Peak WHP with the ALTA filter and stock air box was 159WHP at 6750RPM Peak
gain of 1WHP
Peak Torque was 146.1 ft-lbs at 3500RPM Peak gains of 1.6ft-lbs
Special notes: 5WHP and 3ft-lbs were gained at 6600RPM

Next up is the ALTA intake with out the silicone tube.
Peak WHP with the ALTA intake and stock intake hose was165.4WHP at 7000RPM
Peak gain of 7.4WHP
Peak Torque was 149.6 ft-lbs at 3500RPM Peak gains of 5ft-lbs
Special notes: 10WHP and 8ft-lbs were gained at 6750RPM

Finally is the ALTA intake WITH the silicone tube.
Peak WHP with the ALTA intake and silicone hose was171.6WHP at 7000RPM
Peak gain of 13.6WHP
Peak Torque was 149 ft-lbs at 3500RPM Peak gains of 4.4ft-lbs
Special notes: 15WHP and 10ft-lbs were gained at 6750RPM

This is all done on the Mustang dyno which is one of the lower reading dynos out there. If done on a dynoJET or Dynapack, the numbers would have been closer to 200WHP. Generally they read about 10% higher numbers. The gains seen would have been about the same, just the HP numbers would have been about 10% higher. I am giving this comparo because it seems many of the guys getting their mini's dynoed are going to a dynojet.

Attached are the dyno graphs!

Attached Thumbnails ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!-altanohose19chip.gif   ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!-altapanel19chip.gif   ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!-altapanel19chip.gif  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice data!

Old 06-17-2005, 09:37 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I'm glad to see that the claims are able to be duplicated
Go Alta!!

Old 06-17-2005, 10:01 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
This past weekend, some of us were working on our cars and someone was installing an intake. We got to talking about the tube and the differences between stock and the Silicone from an Alta intake. Looks like from above, it is something like a 5 WHP difference, that is amazing.

It would be intersting to see if just a new intake tube on the stock box could give similar gains.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:12 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by LeeL
It would be intersting to see if just a new intake tube on the stock box could give similar gains.
Interesting idea. That would be something to test for those on a small budget for mods.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:58 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Like we have said many times before, we don't have anthing to hide. Expect to see more dyno runs like this showing real data on back to back runs. I know Randy Webb has been busy, but you will soon see our crank pulley dyno runs he recently did.

As for the tube with stock air box. It was never meant to fit that way, but there is no reason why it couldn't be made to work. The only problem with the stock box is the surface are of the filter. Since it is so small, this may hold up the HP.

When we did our initial testing on our intake, stock car, we threw on our panel filter, and saw the same 1HP gain. Since it was easy to do we removed it and got about 2-3HP. This was an average, but still not much. This shows that the box becomes the restriction, and the filter SA and tube is why we get the power we do.

Soon you will see this setup with a TB before and after. Should be pretty cool to see!

Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
mini d
5th Gear
Silicone hose question.

Jeff,

Do you sell just the hoses? I have a JCW intake and would like to use the ALTA hose on it. Any info is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:17 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
We do sell the hose separately, but since it isn't really meant to fit to the stock box, we can't really gaurantee it will. Our retail price on the intake hose is $99.99. We have them in red, black, and blue.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
Jeff, did you get the fax I sent you with my dynojet results? I'm not sure if the graph would be clear enough to read.

04MCS, Alta Cai, 15% Alta pulley, Milltec exhaust and densos. Stock ECU, 179WHP, 156 max torque.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:31 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
I sure did, its in my dyno file! It is kind of cool to compare one car to another using the 2 different reading dynos. Yours using a Dyno Jet and reading higher and EuroStylesEast, low reading Mustang. I hope the more dyno graphs posted the more people will look at what type of dyno is being used. This will really help people understand why some people get significantly lower numbers than others(pending engine isn't blown), when in the end they both are making similar HP on the same dyno.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 PM
SCA
3rd Gear
This is the way to run a performance company!

No hype, no spin, no BS, just good hard data backing up your product claims. Great job ALTA . Very impressive.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 AM
jlm
6th Gear
I agree the deltas are very useful, however, from what I have seen, cars with the same equipment have dyno'ed around 185whp on a Mustang (Helix) and Dynojet (SPI). Eastcoast is showing about 35hp less; that is quite a bit of difference.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:13 AM
Brian Spielman
3rd Gear
Our dyno will always read lower numbers than a dynojet or dynopack due to the way the mustang dyno incorporates actual street conditions. It takes into account vehicle weight and essentially a "drag coefficient" (power@50) ...to simulate the drag caused by air when you are actually travelling 50-100 mph. The weather station also corrects the numbers to a set temperature and humidity to ensure folks don't get higher numbers on colder days and vise versa.

Though they are a little harder to read, we have a different printout on our website that doesn't smooth out the graphs as much as the ones posted by Alta and also display min/max/avg readings:
http://www.eurostyleseast.com/pages/...aketesting.asp

We just finished testing the Alta 19% SC + 4% Crank combo and will posting our results on our website this week

Old 06-20-2005, 09:58 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
Sounds like there are at least a couple tests out there of the 19+4. Although no one is saying much about what the results are, just that they have "done it". Wonder who will be the first to post the results on NAM. Brian, can you say anything at least qualitatively? Or are you gonna make us all wait?

Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 AM
Brian Spielman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bouray
Sounds like there are at least a couple tests out there of the 19+4. Although no one is saying much about what the results are, just that they have "done it". Wonder who will be the first to post the results on NAM. Brian, can you say anything at least qualitatively? Or are you gonna make us all wait?
We just performed the testing on Saturday, so we're compiling the results as soon as we can. The HP gains were marginal (peak was lower, but under the curve was improved) and the torque band shifts lower. More data like AFR/PSI/Timing/Temp/SC Revs needs to be looked at before deciding if this is a combo that anyone should be running :smile:

Here's a teaser...more graphs with afr, psi, and detailed hp/tq to follow.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:39 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very interesting to see the silicone hose actually nearly double the efficiency of the intake despite the fact there was no enlarged tb...

hm..... maybe that's in my future plan now....

Old 06-20-2005, 12:10 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
One thing to keep in mind with the dyno runs is this car has no IC on it. Which normally is bad on a 19% combo, let alone a 23% combo! Can't wait to see that! It should get rid of the dip at 5700 where it may have knocked and pulled timing. Belive it or not the AFR's with this setup are very good. Looks like the added boost is something the ECU is somewhat mapped for. What we don't know is what the ECU timing does when it sees this boost. Like most stock ECU's the timing is optimized for a certain area, and above that, the timing drops way of for safety reasons.

Either way, thanks to Brian again for the hard work, expect to see more hard data like this between now soon!

Old 06-20-2005, 09:59 PM
AINASUV
1st Gear
Are there any AGS buyers in the PA area who want to replicate the before-and-after-install runs on the Mustang dyno? I'd love to see the area under the curve results and determine my next purchase. Better yet, are there any AGS buyers who also want to perform the tests +/- throttle body, too?

Come on...we all want to see it!

Old 06-20-2005, 10:25 PM
LAMINI
Banned
Could these be the fault for those gains?

Alta 19% Pulley
GIAC 19% Software
JCW 380cc Fuel Injectors
Milltek Catback
Denso IK22 Spark Plugs

Old 06-20-2005, 10:42 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Good results Would have been interesting to see runs of the car stock for comparison too.

By the way, from my experience (what I have seen and what the perf. shop guys confirmed while I was there during runs of several types of cars) the Dynapak independant wheel Dyno shows lower numbers then the Mustang/Dynojet types.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:59 AM
jlm
6th Gear
in my opinion, it murks the waters to apply any correction factors, such as a 50mph air drag correction. Obviously, the deltas are still useful, but the inevitable comparison to other cars and dynos is made worse.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:15 AM
bouray
3rd Gear
Did they forget to program in a road composition correction factor? Or is that in there as well. We all know that concrete has a much different tractability coefficient than asphalt.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
AINASUV,
I too would like to see the results of the AGS with a stock TB. I don't think i am the only one!

LAMINI,
Not sure what you are trying to say. All those parts were already installed prior to the intake changes. So all runs shown had, those parts installed.

eVal,
From my experience, the Dynapacks read about 12% higher than the mustang. They are one of the highest reading ones out there. But of course that all depends on the comp numbers they have typed in.

jlm,
The drag numbers don't change things a hole lot for the actual HP numbers. On the mustang you can change Vehicle weight (load), and HP@50 (progressive load as RPM increases). Changing the weight really only makes the run take longer, but doens't change the HP much. The only reason why is does make the HP lower is because the car heats up slightly more than a shorter run. To give you an idea on a WRX, with 380WHP, the load changing from 3250 to 5500 makes the WHP change about 3-5WHP. So as a % that isn't much. The HP at 50 changes are acutally less. But the difference is the car will rev up quicker and get slower as it increases to redline. On a turbo car this all effects spoolup, so the low end torque numbers change a little, but all the upper end stuff is virtualy the same. Brian can correct if i am wrong, but the comp numbers that really effect the HP readings are not something that can be changed easily. This is some magic number that Mustang inputs specially into each dyno after installation.

Sorry this turned into a long one, but what i was trying to say is that the numbers are very comparable with all these add on loads. The idea with the loads is mimic real world 4th gear pulls.

bouray,
With the way the dynapack works, you might be able to mimic that!

Old 06-21-2005, 12:10 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Brian From ESE, was nice enough to forward me the OBDII data from the 19% and ALTA intake runs. Just like we suspected, there is much more power to be had here. The charge temps were nuts, and the care was detonating in 2 differen areas. 5500, and 6200 both saw significant drops in timing indicating some noise. I can't wait to see the IC on this car!

Old 06-21-2005, 01:14 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Jeff,
What kind of gains are there with the Alta intake and tube on a totally stock MCS? Just wondering if opening up the intake side will make a nice difference with everything else stock in place.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Drivetrain ALTA dyno results from Euro Styles East!!