Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New Intercooler - Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Intercooler - Manifold

There has been a lot of discussion here and elsewhere about intercoolers, with respect to type (a-a, a-w), temperature drop, pressure drop, efficieny, etc. The MCS that we know and love has a Roots type blower whose charge travels a circuitous and long path through the top-mounted air-to-air intercooler to the intake manifold. Perhaps the physics-oriented folks on this forum would comment on that design.

I recently had installed a novel product that avoids this path with its inherent turbulence and potential pressure drop. My intercooler (GRSmotorsport), plenums and intake manifold were removed. Then an Air-to-Liquid, Charged-Air, Intake Manifold was installed. The design is fairly straight-forward --- the blower releases its charge through a short, minimally-curved, tube into a new, cast, intake manifold that has a built-in air-to-liquid (ethylene glycol-water) intercooler. The air charge travels a very short distance through the IC to the intake ports. The heated IC liquid goes to a reservoir and is electrically pumped to a heat exchanger that is behind the lower front grill. From there the cooled liquid returns to the IC. I've attached some photos that may help in understanding the new system. The company did the install work, so I cannot comment on difficulty or ease of installation. The heat exchanger is fairly generous in size, so a part of the inner lip of the front valance was trimmed for fitment. A temporary grill was made, and a new metal mesh grill is being developed for both the regular MCS and those with an aero kit. BTW, the bonnet scoop has been relegated to decorative status only.

This product is from a soon-to-be announced company (@ 1 month), GINTANI, Inc., in Southern California. Gintani spent over 9 months and many $$$$ in the R&D of this patent-pending system. The company is dedicated to development and manufacture of high-performance products for the new MINI. I understand that a number of other items are also ready or soon to be released. Examples include a new header and exhaust, larger Roots-type supercharger, high performance pistons and rods, reworked head, cold air intake, individual cylinder coils, and wheels, amongst others. They also will be doing some nifty carbon fiber products and perhaps some body kits. In addition, GINTANI, Inc. may be offering Direct Dyno Tuning --- no piggy-back or generic reflashes. As soon as the company is formally announced, there will be a website and contact info. BTW, I was told the other day that the Air-Liquid, Charged-Air, Intake Manifold with Heat Exchanger, Pump, etc. will retail for about $2200.

Now for the bottom line --- results! My car has been dyno'd at Los Angeles Performance Division on 3 occasions prior to this new install (19% + MTH, 15% + MTH, 15% + Evotech). As soon as we get some dyno data with the new system, all results will be posted on the forum. I heard that a car with a 15% pulley, K&N CAI, Schrick cam, and MM exhaust went from 175 to 198 whp with the addition of the Gintani system. I'm sure that dyno details and lots of technical data will be presented once the product is formally launched.

I have notice an improvement in IAT, with the maintenance of fairly regular temps. E.g., when the engine is cool, the IAT is the same as ambient temperature. When the engine is hotter (coolant @ 180 deg F), the IAT is about 10-15 deg F > than ambient, with little variation throughout the powerband.

Just stay tuned for more information, and this should be coming fairly soon

Detailed pics are in the link below. Sorry about that, but I can't seem to get all the pics posted

http://community.webshots.com/album/368940551GGlGGd

Last edited by RECOOP; 06-13-2005 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Pictures didn't show
Old 06-13-2005, 05:12 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Oooppss....all the images finally showed up (I think!)

Last edited by RECOOP; 06-13-2005 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Picture didn't show
Old 06-13-2005, 05:18 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
(nevermind- I wasn't playing nice)

Last edited by binkysmini; 06-13-2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: not nice
Old 06-13-2005, 06:38 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow! Snoots-be-gone! Looks very interesting. Do you still have the GRS IC?

Old 06-13-2005, 06:46 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Andy,

I still have it, however, some friends are bidding on it. Any help I can get with the image posting would be appreciated. I've spent way too much time Fa**ing around already

Data on this system will follow...

Old 06-13-2005, 07:39 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks interesting. I love the concept of removing a bunch of the length to the air path. If said new company needs some hot weather (such as found in the desert areas in and around Phoenix) testing done, I might know of such a willing test car.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Old 06-13-2005, 09:06 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Sounds extremely interesting!

God help these poor b*stards if they renege on their commitment to post dyno results.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent concept.

Get to throw lots of parts away too! Wonder what peak flow is?

Matt

Old 06-13-2005, 09:52 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would certainly make doing the VGS easier . Seriously, this looks very interesting! Any chance that these guys are going to pursue CARB certification? I'm guessing/hoping they are in CA....

Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
God help these poor b*stards if they renege on their commitment to post dyno results.

They will present the dyno/torque data, along with other technical information. The people involved with this company are very knowledgable and sophisticated, and they recognize the importance of providing credible data. That should be a refreshing blast of air ... couldn't resist the pun :smile:

Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Get to throw lots of parts away too! Wonder what peak flow is? Matt
I'm sure that flow rates, etc. will be presented to the Mini community

Old 06-13-2005, 10:58 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
This would certainly make doing the VGS easier . Seriously, this looks very interesting! Any chance that these guys are going to pursue CARB certification? I'm guessing/hoping they are in CA....
Tony,

Gintani, Inc. is indeed a California company. I haven't discussed CARB approval with them, but I'll ask and let you know.

I forgot to mention that Gintani, Inc. will be at the next SEMA Show. They'll be displaying many of their products, as well as a couple of Mini's with various modifications. From what I understand, the company plans on offering various stages of modifications, with the parts being sold by a select network of dealers and tuners. Stay "tuned" for further details....

Old 06-13-2005, 11:02 PM
mini d
5th Gear
Hey Bob,

Are you going to be by Steves any time soon? I would love to see that in person. I would be very interested in that and did you mention Carbon?

Old 06-14-2005, 02:06 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
How much are we talking about for this new IC set up...........

Old 06-14-2005, 03:10 AM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
As soon as the company is formally announced, there will be a website and contact info. BTW, I was told the other day that the Air-Liquid, Charged-Air, Intake Manifold with Heat Exchanger, Pump, etc. will retail for about $2200.

Now for the bottom line --- results! My car has been dyno'd at Los Angeles Performance Division on 3 occasions prior to this new install (19% + MTH, 15% + MTH, 15% + Evotech). As soon as we get some dyno data with the new system, all results will be posted on the forum. I heard that a car with a 15% pulley, K&N CAI, Schrick cam, and MM exhaust went from 175 to 198 whp
I have notice an improvement in IAT, with the maintenance of fairly regular temps. E.g., when the engine is cool, the IAT is the same as ambient temperature. When the engine is hotter (coolant @ 180 deg F), the IAT is about 10-15 deg F > than ambient, with little variation throughout the powerband.
I hope the retail is a little lower than that. Even the Webb Motorsports air to water intercooler is only $1050.

So you mean to tell me they expect to have an 80 deg IAT (I assume after the intercooler) with 70 deg ambient weather?

Old 06-14-2005, 03:22 AM
04yellowS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minispilot
I hope the retail is a little lower than that. Even the Webb Motorsports air to water intercooler is only $1050.
But you have to remember, you are getting a new intake manifold as well, not just an a-w intercooler.

The $2200 price tag doesn't seem that outrageous....compared to some other aftermarket pieces.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:38 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I see they have a web site underway
www.gintani.com :smile:

Old 06-14-2005, 05:50 AM
rrdusek
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'ld be interested in your old (GRS) intercooler.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:03 AM
jlm
6th Gear
I like the idea of a new manifold and no snoots; hard to believe they can put together the entire package for the cost announced. more power to 'em.

why ethylene glycol? common antifreeze and actually inhibits heat transfer compared to distilled water.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:01 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jlm
I like the idea of a new manifold and no snoots; hard to believe they can put together the entire package for the cost announced. more power to 'em.

why ethylene glycol? common antifreeze and actually inhibits heat transfer compared to distilled water.
John,

I'm not sure how they'll do it for the mentioned price, unless it's related to the fact they are the manufacturer.

Good point about the coolant. I'll pass that on, and/or ask them to start reading this forum.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:08 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minispilot
So you mean to tell me they expect to have an 80 deg IAT (I assume after the intercooler) with 70 deg ambient weather?
The info I posted is not from the company, but some observations that I made on my car. Obviously, more data, including logging, will need to be done. However, the company may already have info that they'll probably be sharing with us. BTW, the system I described is not just an intercooler, but a completely new intake manifold with integral IC.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I see they have a web site underway
www.gintani.com :smile:
I hope the Air-Charger-Gizmo-Cooler-Vaporizer thingy works better than the web site !!!

G

Old 06-14-2005, 11:11 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
Agreed. The site is not ready for primetime.

But to keep things in perspective. If they're going to work on something first, I'd prefer it be the parts. They seem to be involved in some heavy duty R&D on the parts. Who cares if the website is good unless the parts are, ya know.

Last edited by eMINI; 06-14-2005 at 11:13 AM. Reason: re-wording
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Very interesting! I would also be interested - especially if it were CARB certified.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New Intercooler - Manifold