Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aftermarket exhaust and waranty issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:33 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Aftermarket exhaust and waranty issues.

I am looking for a nice sounding exhaust for the 06 MCS i'l be ordering soon. I will be doing a 15% pulley and CAI later on, but for now i want to keep my car mostly stock to avoid the waranty issues that may insue. I've looked around and i like the Borla Sport exhaust. My only concern is the waranty. Would the dealer only void the part of it related to the exhaust? Also, if they were to void the Borla, what would be the dealer's reaction to a one-ball exhaust?

-Blake

Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A one ball is just a cut up version of the stock exhaust, so yea, you'd definately be without a warranty on the stock exhaust once you get done with the sawzall and welding rods. Best bet is to get an aftermarket cat-back, and keep your stock exhaust or throw it away like the rest of us). There is really nothing to void with a cat-back, as there ain't no movin' parts on one, properly installed that is. The stock exhaust sounds sweet, as does the Borla, Miltek, Magnaflow, Scorpion/PlayMini, UUC, the list goes on and on. Listen to some in between now and when you get your MINI to help you define what you want, as an exhaust is personal choice. Go to a MINI meet or find someone in your area with one of the 'forementioned cat-backs and go for a ride.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 PM
AMPR
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla Issues

Blake,

I'd recommend you stay away from the Borla. It looks and sounds great, but in my experience is not the quality product it used to be. In fact, I've had my Borla exhaust welded twice. The hangers came right off both sides as if it were paper. Then when I called their customer service dept they told me welding it voided the warranty. That's BS! If I hadn't had it welded back together it would have ripped right through the little aluminum exhaust under pan/cover.

Anyhow, if I had to do it over again I'd stay away from the Borla and suggest you do the same.

A

Originally Posted by 1nf3rn0
I am looking for a nice sounding exhaust for the 06 MCS i'l be ordering soon. I will be doing a 15% pulley and CAI later on, but for now i want to keep my car mostly stock to avoid the waranty issues that may insue. I've looked around and i like the Borla Sport exhaust. My only concern is the waranty. Would the dealer only void the part of it related to the exhaust? Also, if they were to void the Borla, what would be the dealer's reaction to a one-ball exhaust?

-Blake

Old 06-09-2005, 09:38 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
MGCMAN: Thanks for the advice. I have driven a MCS in the past and i did like the sound. For now, im just trying to start the moding process while trying to keep my waranty intact. I love the sound of the borla, but i will look into some other options. I will probably give the Alta exhaust some serious thought as well.

AMPR: Thanks for the warning. All i know about the Borla is that it sounds great. I had no idea the quality was so bad. What do you think about the Alta or Miltec?

thank you
Blake

Old 06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
The Milltec is superb in quality and sound.

04 MCS, EB/EB, Sport pkg., Lapis Leather, 15% pulley, Alta CAI, Milltec, densos

Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Im going to go look at the exhaust thread again. So, just to clarify, i dont need to wory about voiding my waranty by adding an exhaust?

Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Your dealer has no right to void your warranty from an exhaust. They have to prove that the exhaust was the cause of the problem. If they claim its the exhaust then i would question their ability to peform the work as they are not very bright in the first place. The Magnuson-Moss Act is your friend and protects you the consumer from the dealership trying to pull your chain.

Garrett

Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
If you swap out the exhaust system, the only warranty that will be voided is on your stock exhaust system. So there are no worries anyway since you want to replace it! As the primary function of sitting underneath the car and channeling the exhaust gases out the back, dealerships would be hard pressed to pin a failure on the exhaust system.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
CooperSAZ,

I agree and forgot to add what you stated. The only thing that they will not cover is the exhaust itself. Since you removed that part from the car. Why should they have to cover that aftermarket part? But they can not assume that the aftermarket part was the cause of another problem with out backing up their claim with hard proof.

Garrett

Old 06-10-2005, 10:34 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im running a Milltek, but if Invidia came in earlier I would've used that
instead. Not that there's anything wrong with the Milltek. It's just
too quiet.

Old 06-10-2005, 04:15 PM
conehead
3rd Gear
The only time I have heard of a warrenty issue regarding exhaust was with regards to a WRX. This young man , not a kid went in with a cat back system and a blown clutch. Subaru claimed that the extra HP made my the cat back voided the power train warrenty. Subaru has been on a rampage since the WRX/ STI came out regarding warrenty issues so this is not a indicator of what Mini would do. I have not heard of any problems with mini exhaust modifications. Now the 19% pulley , That is another story.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
Well, i dont want to start the pully conversation (yet). I know I will do that at some point, but i also know that is a guranteed warranty voider. Im already geting ready for the CAI, injectors, ECU and 15% pulley for the day my warranty is up.

From that you have told me, the Miltec is quitet... The reason i liked the borla was the fact that it was loud. What would you recommend instead of it to allow for a nice loud tone? And please dont say Magnaflow.

Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by garretwp
CooperSAZ,

I agree and forgot to add what you stated. The only thing that they will not cover is the exhaust itself. Since you removed that part from the car. Why should they have to cover that aftermarket part? But they can not assume that the aftermarket part was the cause of another problem with out backing up their claim with hard proof.

Garrett

Old 06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
CooperSAZ
5th Gear
Originally Posted by conehead
The only time I have heard of a warrenty issue regarding exhaust was with regards to a WRX. This young man , not a kid went in with a cat back system and a blown clutch. Subaru claimed that the extra HP made my the cat back voided the power train warrenty. Subaru has been on a rampage since the WRX/ STI came out regarding warrenty issues so this is not a indicator of what Mini would do. I have not heard of any problems with mini exhaust modifications. Now the 19% pulley , That is another story.
I'll second this! I hear Subaru is very bad about this also... Takes the fun away from purchasing a car and messing with it!! (Within manufacturing reasons of course! )
I also heard that Mitsu has representatives going to various tracks (1/4 mile tracks) in some states writing down VIN numbers of Evos that are in the staging lanes...
MINI is pretty laid back for the most part...

Old 06-10-2005, 08:49 PM
blue agave
3rd Gear
I don't understand the "dealer has to prove it screwed the car" defense. I would imagine that at servicing the engine, the dealer would simply either refuse the service without an understanding that the customer pays, or perform the service and then hand the customer the bill. The whole deal becomes the customer's burden. The "defense" may ultimately succeed in a court case , but who wants to go there? I would suggest talking to your dealer before doing a mod and getting their agreement in advance about your warranty coverage.

Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
What "the dealer has to prove it....." means that if the dealer refuses to do warranty work on your car becuase of an aftermarket part installed and they have no proof that the part caused damage to what needs to be repaired under warranty, or refuse to give you any reason other then it being present on your car, they are technically breaking the law. The Magnuson-Act proctects the consumer from having that happen to them. Many people do not know about this act and give in on the dealer for false reason. If you do a google search for the Magnuson-Act there are many sites that will break it down for you and tell you what it all means.

Garrett

Old 06-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's even a link to it here.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=32569

Know your rights.

Matt

Old 06-11-2005, 06:25 PM
1nf3rn0
6th Gear
thanks for the info

-Blake

Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
blue agave
3rd Gear
I agree with you that there are consumer protections under the federal and state statutes. But if you are asserting their protection, it likely means that you are in court with the dealer. Litigation over my xxx h.p. upgrade would just ruin the great cosmic wa. I am just suggesting that an understanding up front is happier than a dispute when the deed is done.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
As far as the Milltec being "quiet", I'd say it's mellow, deeper in tone than a stock exhaust. It will not get tiring in the long run. I've heard other brands that are louder, but to me they would be a little "boomy" for a long drive.

Old 06-14-2005, 02:31 PM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
After speaking to many Audi, VW owners and seeing the sheer quality in person (also recommended to me by a shop that doesnt even carry miltek products) MILTEK takes the cake.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:00 AM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Milltek; quiet when you want it but impressive when you get on it. It also takes the (to some) embarrassing "tinnyness" from deceleration " pop,pop,pop"