Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dinan Boost upgrade: Fuel and Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Nomios_SLC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dinan Boost upgrade: Fuel and Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator?

Tons of people here already know the facts about boost upgrading. Dinan is quite late to the game with their new kit. What I find interesting is the fuel pressure and fuel tank pressure regulators include in the kit. This is something I have not seen before (but maybe I just have not looked hard enough).

Here is what Dinan has to say:

The increase in boost pressure is accomplished in typical fashion, employing a smaller supercharger pulley. Unfortunately, extensive testing revealed that the stock fuel delivery system simply can’t keep up as boost and rpm increase. In order to address the lean condition at higher rpm, Dinan has developed fuel pressure regulators designed to ensure that adequate fuel is available in order to take full advantage of the additional boost pressure for maximum power output and reliability.

It seems like most folks are trying to address these fuel issues mainly with modified ecu's. Are new regulators going to be better? Are they really necessary or not?

Old 02-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The JCW upgrade kit addresses probable lean conditions with bigger injectors. These are two different approaches with a similar goal.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:50 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nomios_SLC
Here is what Dinan has to say:
The increase in boost pressure is accomplished in typical fashion, employing a smaller supercharger pulley. Unfortunately, extensive testing revealed that the stock fuel delivery system simply can’t keep up as boost and rpm increase. In order to address the lean condition at higher rpm, Dinan has developed fuel pressure regulators designed to ensure that adequate fuel is available in order to take full advantage of the additional boost pressure for maximum power output and reliability.
This sounds just like a couple vendors when the pulleys first came out. They said you had to buy their ECU or the engine will run too lean. Well pulleys have been out for two years now - and they've been testing not only by numerous vendors/companies, but street tested with millions of miles. A 15% pulley does NOT run lean with stock ECU or fuel delivery. Even the 17% and 19% doesn't run lean. Larger injectors are only meant to extract more power at the very top end. But the 15% pulley doesn't need this. I think it's just a way to market (make the aftermarket's pulley upgrades look bad) and to make their package look like it might be worth the extra money b/c it has "more stuff".

I'm not a big fan of companies that give misinformation, disinformation or downright lie. This is sort of in the middle. They lie by claiming the pulley creates a lean condition. They give misinformation by saying "the stock fuel delivery system simply can’t keep up as boost and rpm increase. " - this is true if you keep adding boost but the 15% pulleys don't run into this problem. So it's not the WORST thing (others lie completely) but it's enough to steer me away.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:08 AM
XAlfa
Banned
Sorry for the ignorance, but I thought that injectors precisely metered the amount of fuel ultimately entering the mixture. Can increasing fuel line pressure upstream of the injectors really increase the F in AF?

Old 02-19-2005, 03:12 PM
jlm
6th Gear
you can boost the fuel line pressure and get more gas per pulse. the limit is usually reached by the flow capacity of the fuel pump and fuel lines.

My current theory about the twincharger sub-300hp headwall is that it was fuel supply starved.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:00 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by jlm
you can boost the fuel line pressure and get more gas per pulse. the limit is usually reached by the flow capacity of the fuel pump and fuel lines.

My current theory about the twincharger sub-300hp headwall is that it was fuel supply starved.
sigh*********
it's the ONLY thing holding me back
somebody's been telling secrets....

Old 02-20-2005, 07:04 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
sigh*********
it's the ONLY thing holding me back
somebody's been telling secrets....
I could have told you that El before even starting the project I live by the code:

Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance

Now get that uprated Bosch fuel pump on there with 530cc injectors and get haulin' a$$!!

Henry

Old 02-20-2005, 07:06 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by supercoopers
I could have told you that El before even starting the project I live by the code:

Prior Planning Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance

Now get that uprated Bosch fuel pump on there with 530cc injectors and get haulin' a$$!!

Henry
Not to mention BMW's great insight of 5/16" lines..... sigh***

Old 02-20-2005, 07:17 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Not to mention BMW's great insight of 5/16" lines..... sigh***
When I said Pump I meant the lines to support the increased flow as well ( I live by my own code you see ) You have everything else under the sun to smash through the 300whp barrier. Keeping that fuel pressure high enough and regulated is very important. That is why I am having a DEFI fuel pressure sensor installed with a whole bunch of other gauges so I can see exactly what is holding me back from making more power

I can recommend the new DEFI VSD (heads up display) which is relatively cheap and comes with a whole heap of sensor inputs. You only need that and the DEFI controller to have alot of powerful diagnostic readings at your fingertips (EGT, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp...basically everything bar boost readings )

Henry

Old 02-20-2005, 07:23 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
When I said Pump I meant the lines to support the increased flow as well ( I live by my own code you see ) You have everything else under the sun to smash through the 300whp barrier. Keeping that fuel pressure high enough and regulated is very important. That is why I am having a DEFI fuel pressure sensor installed with a whole bunch of other gauges so I can see exactly what is holding me back from making more power

I can recommend the new DEFI VSD (heads up display) which is relatively cheap and comes with a whole heap of sensor inputs. You only need that and the DEFI controller to have alot of powerful diagnostic readings at your fingertips (EGT, fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp...basically everything bar boost readings )

Henry
Yes, we are working on it after Hubie finishes another turbo project today. You are right we made 280whp on 20lbs of boost. This car will easily make 30lbs of boost. BTW... great choice of gauges. SPI is making gauges for them.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
You are right El is going the opposite way
As long as he's getting there its ok

Henry

Old 02-21-2005, 07:22 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by uae mini
You are right El is going the opposite way
As long as he's getting there its ok
well,
when I started this project I had no idea I would end up here. That is why I am trying to educate people who want to go for a radical ride to learn from my mistakes. IT's much cheaper!