Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Inexpensive exhaust - CNT, OBX and??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Inexpensive exhaust - CNT, OBX and??

So after removing my mid muffler and really not liking the sounds, and more so in sport mode, i am ready to pick up an exhaust. Decibal levels are ridiculous, and it just sounds like some 4-banger where the exhaust fell off. Though all the noise is in the back.
CNT Racing sounds rather stock-ish from the videos i can find though may have more flow?
OBX Racing, yeah what few are out there, sound loud as hell, but they do warn its an off-road , non daily driver type exhaust.

does anyone have an OBX catback (down pipe back) that can share their experience in how it sounds?

other than that, putting the midmuffler back in is always an option, but i will buy a new one to ensure good flow.
Just a normal muffler is also an option too, though with a cat less downpipe there isn’t much going to reduce noisen without restricting flow?
though just a change in audio tone could do it for me maybe? I guess i would have to hear it to know if it was what i was looking for.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:37 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I like the factory JCW muffler, more aggressive tone but no drone on the highway

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18307646678/

The following 2 users liked this post by 3lusive:
co0p3r (05-21-2019), ECSTuning (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The CNT is basically a clone of the Invidia Q300, which I have. The Q300 is a very mild note but definitely louder than stock. My only issue with it is that it drones if you don't add a resonator.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:56 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Thanks guys
the jcw muffler is just ridiculous expensive and thats the muffler
Youtube is not known for its audio and exhaust but the Q300 and CNT sound completely like polar opposites there so i rely on comments like this
BUT
no one ever says if they have the resonator in and few say if its a catless or highflow downpipe

i will bear that in mind though for sure thanks for the tip

Old 05-25-2019, 07:42 PM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Facebook messaged cnt and they said with the catless downpipe its very loud
i messaged back and said compared to what? Stock is pretty loud too?

they havent replied in like 3 days that tells me their communication and support is **** if they cant even respond to me

Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM
JC Kent
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the CNT turbo back exhaust for several months now - under 55-60mph, it's manageable with an aggressively good tone. 75+ can get excessively loud, stock is not (ever) unless catless.

Overall happy about the exhaust but will be installing a Vibrant resonator soon. Calculate that in with your cost.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:07 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Why not take a trip to your local muffler shop and talk to them about options. They can easily provide product at a much better price, and should have the experience to suggest a muffler / resonator package that will produce the sounds you want. And don't forget to satisfy your local emissions requirements.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:17 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Why not take a trip to your local muffler shop and talk to them about options. They can easily provide product at a much better price, and should have the experience to suggest a muffler / resonator package that will produce the sounds you want. And don't forget to satisfy your local emissions requirements.

100% @oldbrokenwind i just havent had the time
when i had Midas weld the pipe in after i cut the resonator they didn't have any that would fit but yes that option has not been taken off the table and is where i am leaning

@JC Kent do you know which resonator you are getting and more importantly for the accustics of the mini, have you decided where in the exhaust you will mount it because where it is installed greatly effects the tone and level of noise

for the sake of my wallet my plan now is only a resonator, there is nothing wrong with the pipe, zero rust, and though maybe a muffler is needed, the catless downpipe is demanding i put the resonator back. As oldbrokenwind stated i need to bring in someone who knows this stuff, can recommend a good aggressive resonator and where inline to mount it

Old 06-01-2019, 09:11 AM
JC Kent
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyberlunacy
100% @oldbrokenwind i just havent had the time
when i had Midas weld the pipe in after i cut the resonator they didn't have any that would fit but yes that option has not been taken off the table and is where i am leaning

@JC Kent do you know which resonator you are getting and more importantly for the accustics of the mini, have you decided where in the exhaust you will mount it because where it is installed greatly effects the tone and level of noise

for the sake of my wallet my plan now is only a resonator, there is nothing wrong with the pipe, zero rust, and though maybe a muffler is needed, the catless downpipe is demanding i put the resonator back. As oldbrokenwind stated i need to bring in someone who knows this stuff, can recommend a good aggressive resonator and where inline to mount it
I was planning to add the Vibrant 1141 resonator. Seems it'll fit well in the mid pipe straight section just in front of the back seats. Haven't pulled the trigger yet with business and travel, but it will be in this summer.

If you're after a custom tone, I'd agree with oldbrokenwind - a local shop (not Midas) may be your best bet. The CNT works for me due to price and ease of install.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:40 AM
cyberlunacy
3rd Gear
Yeah midas was a we can get you in and weld the pipe in kind of thng i wouldnt have them do an exhaust.
there are a few places in town i need to stop by and talk to and price them