Drivetrain Evolve Automotive | Mini F56 ECU Tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 PM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolve Automotive | Mini F56 ECU Tune

Introduction
The Mini Cooper platform is held so dearly to our team. We have had every generation of the modern day Mini Cooper S. The lates F56 Cooper S and JCW has been such an incredible vehicle to develop products for. We're excited about this new B48 engine as it is a modular engine from BMW that shares many parts with the higher BHP version of the engine. We have been busy developing our Stage 1 ECU tune for this car and truly believe the results speak for themselves.

Dyno Data
Stock Power | 211bhp 240 lbft
Evolve Stage 1 ECU Tune | 289bhp 350 lbft

VBox Data
Stock Vbox | 100-200 KPH | 18.05s

Evolve Automotive Stage 1 Vbox | 100-200 KPH | 12.19s

Tuning Process
With the advancement in our ECU flash tools, we are now able to offer a full OBDII userend flashing solution. With the purchase of our tune, you also receive our EvolveR cable. This cable allows you to take a read and write of the ECU, all from the convenience of your own home.

Inquiries and Orders
Feel free to contact us here via Private Message or click the EMAIL link in our signature below. We will do our best to respond to your inquiries as immediately as possible.

Last edited by Evolve Automotive; 01-10-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:53 AM
67morris
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi! You mention on the website that "Automatic cars make 50-60 hp due to the limitations of the gearbox." Can you please describe these limitations? Don't see a similar disclosure for Bytetronik or Manic tunes. Just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:09 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
What was the setup on the car? Completely stock?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:00 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Since your cabling into the laptop, is there the ability to datalog and send data back to you for fine tweaking to make sure everything is right? Much like one would do on a dyno to make sure the tune is more precise to ones individual car instead of a general "canned tune"? I feel this is important as not all cars are exactly the same, especially with a variety of modifications. Or is it a one tune, no revision type deal? (I like to make sure my stuff is spot on, especially turning it up with modifications)

Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 AM
GPMini
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini_Vinnie
From the video, it appears that the car was completely stock.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:49 AM
#Dragon#
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Imran
how did the stock intercooler cope with the tune as these cars run hot.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by 67morris
Hi! You mention on the website that "Automatic cars make 50-60 hp due to the limitations of the gearbox." Can you please describe these limitations? Don't see a similar disclosure for Bytetronik or Manic tunes. Just curious. Thanks.
Torque converter is a fluid coupling, you will never get a solid mechanical lock from the engine to trans, as a clutch.
Until it locks but never on acceleration.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:34 PM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
Originally Posted by 67morris
By mechanical design, the factory automatic transmission can only hold so much torque. We prefer to remain on the reliable side of the spectrum and not push the limit to far to avoid premature mechanical failure.

This car specifically was otherwise stock!

Originally Posted by GPMini
Since your cabling into the laptop, is there the ability to datalog and send data back to you for fine tweaking to make sure everything is right? Much like one would do on a dyno to make sure the tune is more precise to ones individual car instead of a general "canned tune"? I feel this is important as not all cars are exactly the same, especially with a variety of modifications. Or is it a one tune, no revision type deal? (I like to make sure my stuff is spot on, especially turning it up with modifications)
We remote tune cars on the dyno throughout the whole world. If you are able to send us datalogs, then fine tuning is certainly an option!

Originally Posted by GPMini
From the video, it appears that the car was completely stock.
Thank you for clarifying!

Originally Posted by #Dragon#
Imran
This is Alex from Evolve Automotive USA chiming in.
The stock intercooler on the R56 and F56 is no doubt a limiting factor in terms of consistent power delivery. We are amidst development of an intercooler upgrade that makes a HUGE difference in power delivery, temperature consistency, and cooling efficiency.

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Torque converter is a fluid coupling, you will never get a solid mechanical lock from the engine to trans, as a clutch.
Until it locks but never on acceleration.
Thank you for contributing to the thread and sharing your knowledge!

Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 AM
trentiles
4th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolve Automotive
By mechanical design, the factory automatic transmission can only hold so much torque. We prefer to remain on the reliable side of the spectrum and not push the limit to far to avoid premature mechanical failure.
Dervtech tuning in the UK has been flashing F56's for something like 3 years now (probably have been doing it the longest of any company out there), including lots of automatics. Their findings are to keep the automatic happy torque should be limited to a max of ~315lb-ft. They actually limit their manuals to that same torque limit I believe as well, but horsepower the auto's and manuals are making pretty much the same.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
Originally Posted by trentiles
Dervtech tuning in the UK has been flashing F56's for something like 3 years now (probably have been doing it the longest of any company out there), including lots of automatics. Their findings are to keep the automatic happy torque should be limited to a max of ~315lb-ft. They actually limit their manuals to that same torque limit I believe as well, but horsepower the auto's and manuals are making pretty much the same.
Thank you for sharing your findings!

We've been really happy with how the manuals have been holding up to the power and torque of our ECU tune. Power has been so consistent without any issues thus far from our long term testing. With the automatics, we do want to veer on the conservative side to assure long term performance for our clients.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:40 AM
Rockstar B
Neutral
Anxiously awaiting my tune to come back. Any word on supporting mods?

Old 02-19-2018, 03:11 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar B
Anxiously awaiting my tune to come back. Any word on supporting mods?
Yes. I am wondering the same. If there will be “map stages” for supporting Mods such as intake, exhaust, Intercooler, downpipe, etc.. or if it’s just 1 Map.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by #Dragon#
Imran
You cannot compare the R56 with the F56. The standard CAC is ok. For a cooper S you can consider to use a solution from Forge & Co, for JCW not necessary or better than than the heavy cubes.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
We have do have staged ECU tunes! Can write calibrations for downpipes, intercooler, intake, and future turbo upgrades!

Intercoolers make a massive difference on the F56. Here is a photo of our development Evolve Automotive Intercooler. You can notice the much bigger core!

Here is a graph showing our initial findings, comparing IAT between stock and Evolve Automotive Intercooler.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:09 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
We have do have staged ECU tunes! Can write calibrations for downpipes, intercooler, intake, and future turbo upgrades!

Intercoolers make a massive difference on the F56. Here is a photo of our development Evolve Automotive Intercooler. You can notice the much bigger core!

Here is a graph showing our initial findings, comparing IAT between stock and Evolve Automotive Intercooler.
very nice! I will be ordering as soon as this is released!

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Interesting... can you guys explain the graph a little? I see the drop in intake temps. But is this running your tune? Boost is nearly the same as stock, so I guess not? What's the advantage of the IC- can you actually boost more, or at the same boost it gives more power because lower temp? New to turbo tuning, thanks =)

Old 02-23-2018, 05:31 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
More boost = more power & also more heat
Cooler pressurized F/A mixture = more power
Better I/C = cooler F/A mixture

I saw an Australian car show on TV where they hooked up the windshield washer to misting jets mounted in front of the I/C. The fine spray of water mist on the I/C coils at speed and under boost reduced IAT dramatically. This resulted in increased power.
I'm thinking of using a spray bottle and spraying water mist on the I/C core when I dyno my car at the Dragon. That's the one weak point in dyno testing. No air being force into ducting of true CAI and very little air flow across the I/C core. Neither is conducive to making More Powah!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:37 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Misting IC is big in the subaru world. All my STi's has a nitrous mist setup in the intercooler.

Now that was fun!

Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
This is an external mister. I'm already looking into a meth system for cooling purposes. That's a future project though.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:08 AM
WhatV8
4th Gear
Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Another popular system is a CO2 spray system for intercoolers or even NO2 on the 'outside' of the intercooler to bring its temp down. Similar to mist spray systems, but much cooler media. They cost basically the same as a NO2 system and at that point you may just want to consider a regular NO2 system. Another option is to go with an alcohol injection system, like Snow or AEM, which pulls a ton of heat out of the intake charge. They all work to some degree, just be careful when you run out of CO2/NO2/Alcohol/Water, as your intake temps will return to stock levels and could create some issues.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM
Rockstar B
Neutral
The car is absolutely insane now. So glad I spent the money here.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
You guys are makin' me crazy. I'm puttin' around with my Dinan Sport and stock everything else and I feel like I'm missing the real party -- got a bit more to go on my current lease. Maybe next time I'll try the heroin and get hooked on chasing that high you all seem to continue enjoying.

i need to call my shrink and find out why I continue following this thread

Old 02-27-2018, 06:42 PM
Mini_Vinnie
Most of these flashes cant be detected at the dealership ....... just saying.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:24 AM
Clutch Wotan
5th Gear
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
I think the future is something else - ASC

Arctic Subcooling via a bypass from the evaporator, Mahle working on it others as well easy if you know how.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 AM
charrigan
3rd Gear
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
Most of these flashes cant be detected at the dealership ....... just saying.
not true... BMW ecu's record flash counts. So if you flash back to stock and back to the tune multiple times you could get to a flash count that the dealer could flag your vin as "tuned". This happened to many people on the BMW n54/n55 platform once port flashing and backend flashing started becoming mainstream.

Another factor is if you throw a CEL the ECU takes a freeze frame of when the CEL is triggered and multiple data points are recorded. IF the freeze frame happens during high load then the tech will know immediately you are significantly over factory boost.

I am not saying dealers are going into ECU's searching for tuned cars but if you have a major event with anything powertrain related expect the dealer to do some poking around.

The following 2 users liked this post by charrigan:
J_L (03-05-2018), Minnie.the.Moocher (03-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Evolve Automotive | Mini F56 ECU Tune