Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What aftermarket turbos are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
What aftermarket turbos are out there?

Probably going to be in the market for a bigger turbo at some point this year, so I'm starting my research now. Already set on an Aquamist Meth kit to go with it as well. I'm thinking relatively small, 42mm compressor. So far I've looked at JMTC, Frankenturbo (not sure of the compressor size though), and the Borg Warner K03-2074 that RMW sells but is cheaper elsewhere, which apparently is a direct bolt on upgrade to the JCW from BW.

Also, who has needed a new clutch going Manic stage 3? My clutch plate is relatively new, was replaced this past September but I will likely be leaving myself enough of a financial cushion to get an appropriate clutch if needed.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:11 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Probably going to be in the market for a bigger turbo at some point this year, so I'm starting my research now. Already set on an Aquamist Meth kit to go with it as well. I'm thinking relatively small, 42mm compressor. So far I've looked at JMTC, Frankenturbo (not sure of the compressor size though), and the Borg Warner K03-2074 that RMW sells but is cheaper elsewhere, which apparently is a direct bolt on upgrade to the JCW from BW.

Also, who has needed a new clutch going Manic stage 3? My clutch plate is relatively new, was replaced this past September but I will likely be leaving myself enough of a financial cushion to get an appropriate clutch if needed.
Aquamist is a great choice, just don't use cheap / low-grade methanol --- it'll plug up the FAV. I've got about 40K miles on my HFS-4.

I've read good things about FrankenTurbo. Manic tuner works a lot with Owens turbos --- I've heard good things about them too. BW has several others that will "bolt on", but may have characteristics not desirable for our MCS. Maybe check with your tuner for a turbo recommendation.

I can't say enough good things about my OS Giken clutch / flywheel. Over 50K miles and 6 years of use --- and this is in a stage 4 package!

Old 02-18-2017, 08:11 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Aquamist is a great choice, just don't use cheap / low-grade methanol --- it'll plug up the FAV. I've got about 40K miles on my HFS-4.

I've read good things about FrankenTurbo. Manic tuner works a lot with Owens turbos --- I've heard good things about them too. BW has several others that will "bolt on", but may have characteristics not desirable for our MCS. Maybe check with your tuner for a turbo recommendation.

I can't say enough good things about my OS Giken clutch / flywheel. Over 50K miles and 6 years of use --- and this is in a stage 4 package!
Is the meth kit hard to install? I've installed every piece of hardware I have listed in my signature so I'm pretty confident with a wrench but it's the wiring that scared me a bit.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:18 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Is the meth kit hard to install? I've installed every piece of hardware I have listed in my signature so I'm pretty confident with a wrench but it's the wiring that scared me a bit.
Installing an Aquamist HFS kit is similar to installing a stereo speakers and amplifier. Took me about 6 hours to install and another 1 hour fine tuning the controller unit

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-18-2017, 08:35 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Installing an Aquamist HFS kit is similar to installing a stereo speakers and amplifier. Took me about 6 hours to install and another 1 hour fine tuning the controller unit

Never done a stereo but I could probably figure it out.

What turbos do you recommend Mario?

Old 02-18-2017, 08:54 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Never done a stereo but I could probably figure it out. What turbos do you recommend Mario?
I have had good luck with the JMTC 42 and 47 as well as my own 43 turbo. I sell all three. FrankenTurbo haven't been very consistent

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
Well since your wanting to stay small our 51mm hybrid at Prototype-R is out of the running lol. In the smaller size you truly can't beat the Owens for quality. They hit performance target time after time. I've tuned several other turbos that can't say the same. The big problem with the Owens is the cost. Which will make a serious hit to your wallet. The flip side is you usually get what you pay for just like with the Aquamist.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:57 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Well since your wanting to stay small our 51mm hybrid at Prototype-R is out of the running lol. In the smaller size you truly can't beat the Owens for quality. They hit performance target time after time. I've tuned several other turbos that can't say the same. The big problem with the Owens is the cost. Which will make a serious hit to your wallet. The flip side is you usually get what you pay for just like with the Aquamist.
Which Owens turbo specifically should I look at?

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
The Owens Challenge Turbo P/N is OD-0163-H-63.5
Price is 1742.76 GBP which with the exchange rate is ~ $2172.60
Call Scott or Kevin at Owens
011-44-1865-821062

Old 02-20-2017, 06:10 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
The Owens Challenge Turbo P/N is OD-0163-H-63.5
Price is 1742.76 GBP which with the exchange rate is ~ $2172.60
Call Scott or Kevin at Owens
011-44-1865-821062
Damn I can get a Borg Warner 42mm for $1200 on amazon free shipping.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Be very careful of something that sounds too good to be true. 99.9% of the "Borg Warner" turbo's for sale online are anything but. The easiest way to tell is to look for the Borg Warner logo cast into the turbine housing. There are exactly two sources for this type of housing Borg Warner and China. If you don't see whats pictured below you are getting a turbo built with Chinese cloned parts. Cloned turbine housing made from who knows what alloy, cloned bearings, cloned turbine and cloned wheels, etc. Believe me I wish there were a US source for these because it's very expensive to start with a factory new turbo to build a hybrid out of.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:22 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Be very careful of something that sounds too good to be true. 99.9% of the "Borg Warner" turbo's for sale online are anything but. The easiest way to tell is to look for the Borg Warner logo cast into the turbine housing. There are exactly two sources for this type of housing Borg Warner and China. If you don't see whats pictured below you are getting a turbo built with Chinese cloned parts. Cloned turbine housing made from who knows what alloy, cloned bearings, cloned turbine and cloned wheels, etc. Believe me I wish there were a US source for these because it's very expensive to start with a factory new turbo to build a hybrid out of.

Good to know, Lou, thanks. If I go with anything claiming to be Borg I'll shoot them and email with pictures to ensure it's real before I put it on the car. If it's not genuine I'll return it.