Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain catless DP install no tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:20 PM
obon3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catless DP install no tune?

so I have a bunch of mods installed but when I recently installed the catless dp with no actual tune except what I have from the alta accessport....ive been noticing some weird things. obviously I was told the check engine light would come on, which it did....but another weird thing is that car begins to putter when its warm, but not when its cold. the idle begins to jump from over 1000 to under 1000 when warm again. and I also notice a smell of burning... the feeling I get when I accelerate(again when warm) is like a huge lag, no power but rev goes up with out acceleration. anyone who has upgrades like such without a tune chime in please. just wanna know if this is normal or am I experiencing something that can be an issue. btw I have the catless dp, resonator delete, noise delete, helix fmic, cold air intake, and accessport. please help

Old 02-18-2017, 01:26 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
I haven't heard this happening or interfering with the way the car drives. Many stock Minis drive with a catless DP just fine. I wonder if your new DP is somehow blocking the wastegate arm

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-19-2017, 05:58 PM
B2FiNiTY
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check for leaks around your intake, fmic, charge pipe etc.

Doesn't sound DP related if it is at idle.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:46 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I agree, sounds like a boost leak. Check the piping connections at the turbo, intercooler, ect.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM
obon3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read other threads where guys explain similar symptoms to the diverter valve? Thoughts...

Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 214 Likes on 151 Posts
It's possible you've developed a new problem and intake leaks will make the idle hunt but... When in doubt go back to the last thing touched. In this case the DP. When you start the vehicle cold the ECU is in cat pre-heat mode. RPM is increased to 1100 and the ECU is in open loop mode running from predefined parameters. Once the engine warms it goes into closed loop mode. The idle drops and ECU aims for a lambda of 1.0. If you have a exhaust leak before the primary O2 sensor it can cause incorrect readings. In addition the hot air escaping make be what's leading to the burning smell you noticed. I'd pull the upper heat shield and looks for any signs of leaking.