Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Dash Command Logs to Scan-XL Pro, Relevant PIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Dash Command Logs to Scan-XL Pro, Relevant PIDs?

Now that I'm able to email myself the logs in PM.lgf file format directly to Scan-XL Pro from my Android version of DashCommand using my Samsung Galaxy S5 what relevant PIDs do I need to log in order to troubleshoot my lean condition? I randomly chose PIDs not knowing there purpose, I don't know what PIDs I need to understand my lean condition, I don't know what O2 sensors to choose from like Oxygen Sensor Voltage Bank 1 - Sensor 2, Oxygen Sensor (Wideband) Bank 1 - Sensor 1 Equivalent Ratio (lambda). All of this is Greek to me. I'm sure I'll need Air Flow PIDs and whatever else to properly diagnose.

Any help appreciated!

Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Why do you think that you have a lean condition? And how do you know you're running lean?

Air to Fuel Ratios

calc.afr_actual

Fuel trims:

sae.shrtft1
sae.longft1

Fuel Rail Pressure:

sae.frp_c

Old 07-19-2015, 08:23 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
How do you select in DC what gets logged ? I tried yesterday and using the standard XL could not even see my boost.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear

If you are using ScanXL you have to select each PID individually. You do this on the setting tab -> PID Config.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Why do you think that you have a lean condition? And how do you know you're running lean?

Air to Fuel Ratios

calc.afr_actual

Fuel trims:

sae.shrtft1
sae.longft1

Fuel Rail Pressure:

sae.frp_c
Can you provide the full names of these PIDs as seen in DC please? No O2 sensor data? Which Fuel trims?

cerenkov I'm troubleshoot pre-ignition that happens when the weather is dry (50% humidity or lower) and hot, if I'm on the lean side of AFR's that could increase cylinder temps. I have been confusing detonation with pre-ignition, as my research has shown detonation is far more destructive than pre-ignition and would cause my spark plugs to look damaged.

My plugs don't show signs of detonation, plugs are light gray. They used to be light tan before I started using 15 cans of BG 44K, I have read fuel additives which form deposits on the ceramic part on spark plugs, this is what my plugs show. I'm assuming a wire brush can remove the fuel additives deposits from the ceramic part of plugs, my plugs have only 12K on them.

Last edited by Systemlord; 07-19-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:28 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
At WOT 20 plus boost in at 11.8 to 1

Old 07-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
At WOT 20 plus boost in at 11.8 to 1
Are you saying your boost measured 20 psi at WOT with an AFR of 11.8, I'm not experienced enough but from all the threads about Manic Tunes that seems a little on the lean side. Usually I read something like 10.5 at WOT, but 20 psi sounds more like a Manic Stage 2+. What is your sustained boost?

I'm troubleshoot pre-ignition that happens when the weather is dry and hot, if I'm on the lean side of AFR's that could increase cylinder temps.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:43 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Are you saying your boost measured 20 psi at WOT with an AFR of 11.8, I'm not experienced enough but from all the threads about Manic Tunes that seems a little on the lean side. Usually I read something like 10.5 at WOT, but 20 psi sounds more like a Manic Stage 2+. What is your sustained boost?

I'm troubleshoot pre-ignition that happens when the weather is dry and hot, if I'm on the lean side of AFR's that could increase cylinder temps.
Going off dash command boost may peak at 22-22.5 and sustains 20 which is why I'm trying to log this.

Ambient air is 100f today, running chevron 93 Octane. I got my tune yesterday , I have seen 21.5 with jb+ , that was only once, usually was 19.5 peak with a sustained 17.

But stage 1 Mao C I am peaking to 22.5 with it holding 20 so I started to watch AFR and today was first time really watching and WOT seemed to lock at 11.8

I just ordered a pro sport boost guage to more accurately monitor boost .

I'd be happy to email my DC log file for anyone to review. I looked at it briefly but something in the figures are misleading or I'm confused because I think I see boost at 34 which I'm pretty sure is not right.

Again manic said since I had no DP i could only have stage 1, I have FMIC, DV+ , cat back 2.5", ECS CAI, NGK 1 step colder

Old 07-19-2015, 04:49 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord

An AFR of 10.5 is definitely on the rich side. I prefer to see around 11.4 at WOT. When you start getting up into the 12's then you're becoming lean.

The PIDs that I listed earlier ARE the names listed in DashCommand. (See photo).

Go ahead and log a 3rd or 4th gear pull from 3000 rpm to redline at WOT.

Log these PIDs:

sae.rpm
calc.boost_pressure
calc.afr_actual OR sae.lambda
sae.catemp11
sae.shrtft1
sae.longft1
sae.sparkadv

I have a suspicion that you are not running lean but you are experiencing octane deficiency due to too much oil in the intake. This will quickly decrease the octane rating of the fuel. Add to that you only have 91 octane (great State of Cali). Put better gasoline in and you'll probably alleviate all your issues.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
An AFR of 10.5 is definitely on the rich side. I prefer to see around 11.4 at WOT. When you start getting up into the 12's then you're becoming lean.

The PIDs that I listed earlier ARE the names listed in DashCommand. (See photo).

Go ahead and log a 3rd or 4th gear pull from 3000 rpm to redline at WOT.

Log these PIDs:

sae.rpm
calc.boost_pressure
calc.afr_actual OR sae.lambda
sae.catemp11
sae.shrtft1
sae.longft1
sae.sparkadv

I have a suspicion that you are not running lean but you are experiencing octane deficiency due to too much oil in the intake. This will quickly decrease the octane rating of the fuel. Add to that you only have 91 octane (great State of Cali). Put better gasoline in and you'll probably alleviate all your issues.

The only time I see 10.9 is (hard acceleration) on initial WOT and just for a millisecond in 1st/2nd gear, then it stays around 11.4 -14+ on moderate throttle. I NEVER get pre-ignition in 1st or 2nd gear, 95% percent of the time it's in 3rd gear only under boost in very hot dry weather. The other 5% percent it happens in very hot dry weather in low 4th gear low boost.

Never have I had pre-ignition in hot humid weather, a few years ago it was hot and humid all Summer long, my Mini loved it and never had any pre-ignition. Rewind 1.5 years ago and I had pre-ignition all over 3rd/4th gear even in cold Winter weather, that is until I ran the first of many cans of BG 44K. When I first looked at my piston tops the amount of carbon was very bad, after many cans of BG 44k I started noticing a grey color to the tops of the pistons.

That's when a lot of pre-ignition was gone for good, now I'm attempting to log and troubleshoot the last bit of pre-ignition in hot dry weather and considering the horrible job Irvine Mini did performing a walnut blast we shall see in a little over a week to get the job done right and time for the ECU to adapt to the cleaning.

I totally believe you that 93 octane would solve all my problems with pre-ignition, of all places we in California deserve higher octane fuel for the prices we pay! More octane in hotter weather is a must especially in our turbocharged Mini's operating at 226F!

Thank you for the picture, tons of help!

Old 07-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Once I log these files to Scan-XL Pro for playback how do I paint a picture of what I'm seeing? All I see when playing back the log files is a ton of values for various sensors, I need to understand how to make any meaningful conclusions.

Last edited by Systemlord; 07-24-2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On this topic, when I data log then load the file and get the PIDS i want for turbo boost and spark, my graphs will not indicate the boost or spark adv. They are flat liners
When one data logs, are all the values automatically logged or does the user have to indicate what parameters they want logged? This stuff burns the limited remaining brains cells of us old timers.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:03 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
The terms are/can/have been almost synomous and interchangeable as one is a precursor; (I was a engine machinist for years)
Pre ignition leads to detonation. When the intake charge explodes suddenly rather than burning quickly, controllably and efficiently, that's detonation
Explosions causing shock waves. This shock waves are the rattle noise one hears from their poor distressed engine.

It can be caused by numerous things; bad fuel/low octane, oil in fuel/intake, carbon on valves or bad FI injector(s) causing poor atomization, too much ignition advance, too lean (12.2 and above under wot/heavy load i.e up a hill in 4 gear) hot spot in combustion chamber (that directly causes pre ignition but very unlikely unless u "made metal")
In any event, BACK OFF THE THROTTLE IMMEDITELY. Detonation kills motors.
When was the last time u cleaned the valves?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:06 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Indimanic
On this topic, when I data log then load the file and get the PIDS i want for turbo boost and spark, my graphs will not indicate the boost or spark adv. They are flat liners
When one data logs, are all the values automatically logged or does the user have to indicate what parameters they want logged? This stuff burns the limited remaining brains cells of us old timers.
After loading the log file into ScanXL, I believe that you still need to select the PIDs that you want to display. On the "Settings" TAB select PID Config (it's all the way at the bottom) then check the ones you want.