Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bytetronik vs Vipec

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 04:21 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by MonzMini
It's better info than what I had before. But I plan on going to the tvs900 by the end of next year. So I wonder if I should just bite the vipec bullet. Instead of having to be flip flopping platforms.
I feel like I should probably clarify something...

You don't "need" to use the Vipec (now Link) ECU with a TVS, would it be easier.and less time consuming overall, probably, but it's absolutely not needed, and if you need OBDII for your emissions inspection, it won't work regardless of induction or engine changes..

The ByteTronik Full Access on the other hand, would work now and in the future with the TVS, it may require the later VDO ECU, which ByteTronik can source, but it can be done.
They have tuned my turbo conversion, and those changes in engine sensor readings are far more wide range than what is seen with the TVS, and the degree of sensor reading changes are what determines the difficulty in tuning.

Old 06-16-2019, 05:20 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I feel like I should probably clarify something...

You don't "need" to use the Vipec (now Link) ECU with a TVS, would it be easier.and less time consuming overall, probably, but it's absolutely not needed, and if you need OBDII for your emissions inspection, it won't work regardless of induction or engine changes..

The ByteTronik Full Access on the other hand, would work now and in the future with the TVS, it may require the later VDO ECU, which ByteTronik can source, but it can be done.
They have tuned my turbo conversion, and those changes in engine sensor readings are far more wide range than what is seen with the TVS, and the degree of sensor reading changes are what determines the difficulty in tuning.
Last month I contacted Harrop about using Bytetronik and their response, “ The software shouldn’t make any difference as to the kit your using so I would presume that the software you have would be fine, Id recommend having a chat to our US dealer as he could clarify this further if required.”

Old 06-16-2019, 05:29 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Cable

[QUOTE=soccerbummer1104;3837863]Why of course!

Things to note:

When you order the vipec you get the vipec v88 in a factory-fit and plug case, the software (which you can download on-line as well), and a temperature sensor (not needed for us).

What you do not get (standard) but can purchase
  • expansion cable
  • CAN out

the expansion cable - You WILL want to get it when they ship the ECU from NZ. It is used to add gauges / sensors into the vipec (wideband, egt, EtOH % sensor etc)

I looked and looked on mouser and called up vipec in NZ and they did not know the part number for the plug (so I could make the harness myself).

So i ended up paying $57.50 (USD) just to SHIP a $40 cable / harness.

The can out requires you to drill a small hole into the ECU case, but it is already "piloted" for you (there is a ball-mill dimple where to drill)
Case is very easy to take apart, and the hole is drilled into the "top" of the case (the part that comes off when you open it, electronics stay on the other side)

If I am going to be using Bytetronik would the Expansion Cable be needed or is that just for Vipec?

Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 AM
co0p3r
4th Gear
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I would like to add to this you can now get a CAN based Wideband for the ViPec also you can buy just the Expansion connector from a few eBay sellers for about 9$ and build you own cable to save a few dollars.

[QUOTE=putttn;4476409]
Originally Posted by soccerbummer1104
Why of course!

Things to note:

When you order the vipec you get the vipec v88 in a factory-fit and plug case, the software (which you can download on-line as well), and a temperature sensor (not needed for us).

What you do not get (standard) but can purchase
  • expansion cable
  • CAN out

the expansion cable - You WILL want to get it when they ship the ECU from NZ. It is used to add gauges / sensors into the vipec (wideband, egt, EtOH % sensor etc)

I looked and looked on mouser and called up vipec in NZ and they did not know the part number for the plug (so I could make the harness myself).

So i ended up paying $57.50 (USD) just to SHIP a $40 cable / harness.

The can out requires you to drill a small hole into the ECU case, but it is already "piloted" for you (there is a ball-mill dimple where to drill)
Case is very easy to take apart, and the hole is drilled into the "top" of the case (the part that comes off when you open it, electronics stay on the other side)

If I am going to be using Bytetronik would the Expansion Cable be needed or is that just for Vipec?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by putttn
Last month I contacted Harrop about using Bytetronik and their response, “ The software shouldn’t make any difference as to the kit your using so I would presume that the software you have would be fine, Id recommend having a chat to our US dealer as he could clarify this further if required.”
What kind of numbers is TVS producing for the R53 upgrade ? Haven't seen a lot of data (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). And how much PSI with the various pulley sizes?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
What kind of numbers is TVS producing for the R53 upgrade ? Haven't seen a lot of data (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). And how much PSI with the various pulley sizes?
They produced a video on their site that shows results from a slightly modded R53 to a highly modded R53 used on the racetrack.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Last edited by Akumazeto; 02-14-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:23 AM
putttn
5th Gear
With a 70mm pulley and the TVS I was getting 14.8 psi. I had the TPR2 Head with NS1 Cam. I'm now changing out to the 55mm and RMW BVH and Dominator Cam. Should be completed next week so we'll see what the #'s are after that.

Old 11-04-2020, 12:46 PM
Timbo14
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Swapping in the Vipec / TVS / E85 combo this week, I will share a graph when I get it

The following users liked this post:
Sim0n0 (11-11-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 01:30 PM
Timbo14
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
One word.... WOW!

The following users liked this post:
Sim0n0 (11-11-2020)