Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bytetronik vs Vipec

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1qwkmini
Does Vipec connect directly to any aftermarket dash--- AIM or Racepak etc?
Why of course!

Things to note:

When you order the vipec you get the vipec v88 in a factory-fit and plug case, the software (which you can download on-line as well), and a temperature sensor (not needed for us).

What you do not get (standard) but can purchase
  • expansion cable
  • CAN out

the expansion cable - You WILL want to get it when they ship the ECU from NZ. It is used to add gauges / sensors into the vipec (wideband, egt, EtOH % sensor etc)

I looked and looked on mouser and called up vipec in NZ and they did not know the part number for the plug (so I could make the harness myself).

So i ended up paying $57.50 (USD) just to SHIP a $40 cable / harness.

The can out requires you to drill a small hole into the ECU case, but it is already "piloted" for you (there is a ball-mill dimple where to drill)
Case is very easy to take apart, and the hole is drilled into the "top" of the case (the part that comes off when you open it, electronics stay on the other side)

Hope this helps!

Old 11-08-2013, 02:50 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Subscribed, as I'm interested in a consolidated thread as well. Thanks everyone

Old 11-08-2013, 05:55 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
how badly is the bytetronic affected by the adaptations?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
We will put that this way...

When I was using it with some of MYNES settings, every time I went up a thousand or so feet in elevation, the car would go into limp because their map was throwing some of the adaptives out of whack.

Got that fixed, and would have to play with the tune every day because the ECU would change the tune on me.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
so you would have to reset it every tank of gas?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
The same thing happened to me when "I" was changing things, but once I let them take over & do it for me, I NEVER had an issue again.
In a nutshell, that's why tuning the factory ECU should really be left to someone who really knows what they're doing & not just anyone can tune BMW/Siemens. The tuner needs to be well versed in working with the adaptives. Which again is the main reason our tuning options are so limited as opposed to other communities.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
The same thing happened to me when "I" was changing things, but once I let them take over & do it for me, I NEVER had an issue again.
In a nutshell, that's why tuning the factory ECU should really be left to someone who really knows what they're doing & not just anyone can tune BMW/Siemens. The tuner needs to be well versed in working with the adaptives. Which again is the main reason our tuning options are so limited as opposed to other communities.
Agreed. Some people jump in head first and take a huge hit during the learning curve.

But in relation to this thread. I think we are comparing Apples to Oranges here. Vipec seems to be an amazing option, but amazing for the guy with basic bolton mods? not likely needed. I would rather see the Vipec compared to the 1320 standalone or other standalones out there.

The stock DME has its limitations, but Bytetronik is a great option for those who understand the effects of the changes they are making. My own personal experience is with a big valve head and schrick cam. My adaptations have not changed in any negative ways from the start of the tuning process.

In my best Forest Gump voice " And that is all I have to say about that "

Old 11-08-2013, 09:47 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
So let me get this straight...

Bytetronik, even though upon its release and well into the first year after was marketed as the ultimate tuner tool for the R53, and that it gave the end user the ability to do ANYTHING or the tuner of their choice to do it for them...

Now from recent posts here...
The tuner needs specific knowledge of the Boch/Siemens ECU to be able to tune it, end users cant get it to work right, MYNES is the only ones that can be trusted doing the actual tune, and my personal favorite: Its good for basic bolt ons but not for the extreme!

Wow now I really want my money back!

ViPEC needs none of that, as long as your tuner is competent! It is still something you dont want to mess with if you dont know how, but hey they dont make a self tuning ECU that is idiot proof...

Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Raven Mocker
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Idk maybe Im wrong but it almost sounds like an advanced piggy back system now. lol

Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53

Bytetronik, even though upon its release and well into the first year after was marketed as the ultimate tuner tool for the R53, and that it gave the end user the ability to do ANYTHING or the tuner of their choice to do it for them...

The tuner needs specific knowledge of the Boch/Siemens ECU to be able to tune it, end users cant get it to work right, MYNES is the only ones that can be trusted doing the actual tune, and my personal favorite: Its good for basic bolt ons but not for the extreme!

ViPEC needs none of that, as long as your tuner is competent! It is still something you dont want to mess with if you dont know how, but hey they dont make a self tuning ECU that is idiot proof...

Old 11-08-2013, 11:13 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear

Basicly yes, as long as the end user or tuner of their choice knows what they are doing, problems arise simply because of having that knowledge or finding someone who does.

End result is that it's just not as easy as the Vipec, but as a tool it works well, just as always. From the begining, before the current Bytetronik team & infastructure, it was always made clear that it was a tool for control, not a teaching tool, even though, myself included, tried to use it that way.

I think Prof.'s analogy is correct, while the Vipec can be tuned by any tuner, the Bytetronik system is closer to those using an RMW or Way tune, when used by someone who has expierience tuning the OEM ECU, the end results are absolutely there. Just with the Bytetronik system there's more user control, options & accessability, like more options as to who can do it and more immediate accessability if needed.

As was stated earlier, 9 times out of 10, in a "performance application" a stand alone will be better than OEM, it's just wheather and/or how easily it can be acclimated into everyday or street use, and wheather the amount of effort or money is worth it for that individual.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 11-09-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
With that said, I was included in the firs shipment of ByteTroniK kits, its not very friendly even to experienced tuners. The OE ECU has limits which can not be altered, adaptives will always interfere. And for Tech Support... Well thats a long story, but I will need a new ECU either way. IMHO it is not worth the cost, or problems.
Wow, we are honored to have our 'reflashing' tuning kit compared to a ViPec stand-alone ECU. If someone is going to run that comparison, then this is truly an "Apple to Orange" comparison (to say the very least).

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but would like to present some facts for those who care to find out.

Category 1: Stand-alone ECU = not OBD2 compatible and not street-legal. They include (but not limited to) AEM, MoTeC, Vipec, 1320ECU, etc.

Vipec ECU = From what we have read, this is a great stand-alone ECU. Why would we hate a great product that offers an additional alternative to the MINI world.

But if someone wants to do an "Apple to Apple" comparison, then they should compare the Vipec to the MoTeC and the 1320ECU.

The 1320MINI crew just set the new world record for the fastest and quickest MINI on the 1/4 mile using their 1320ECU... so to me, their ECU works

Category 2: Piggyback ECU = this is like the Unichip. It is an auxiliary device that sits on top of the Stock ECU and it sends signals to 'trick' the stock ECU into performing certain operations.

Category 3: Reflash Tuning Kits = these communicate with the stock ECU and allow operators to customize maps and upload these changes back into the OEM ECU. Products in this category include Bytetronik, Dimsport, Shark-Injector, MTH, etc.

So out of all the reflash tuning kits in Catergory 3, we would have to say that the FA Tuning kits are the most capable (with Data-logging feature, code clear and adaptation clear). The other tools in this category does not come close to offering the features that we have, nor the number of maps available.

With regards to the other crying points, here are some 411...

Tech Support: We offer by far the best tech support to our customers. With our CRM service, we deliver what we promise in a timely fashion, and we take our time with each Custom Remote Mapping session.

Tuning Support: As was stated when FA was first released a couple years ago, this is a tuning tool, it does NOT teach you how to tune. From the very beginning, it was 'buyers beware, if you don't understand the MINI ecu's logic, then do NOT buy the FA Kit."

And for the initial customers who bought FA when it was first released, we did try to assist with some. But for a few who would rather "DOING THINGS RIGHT THE WRONG WAY...", they didn't want to listen to our guidance. Hey, it's a free country, if you want to do it your way, then go for it... but don't come back and say that we didn't try to help.

If someone go out and buy Autocad software, is it the software company's job to teach you how to become an engineer? So don't expect Bytetronik to teach you how to tune a Siemens ecu simply b/c you have purchased the FA53 tuning kit. There are "EFI 101 Classes" that does just that = how to tune.

Adaptation: If someone using FA53 truly understands how the MINI ecu works, then the adaptation feature on the stock ECU shouldn't have any negative effects the tune. We have many cars out there that were tuned 3 to 4 years ago and they don't have any issues with adaptations affecting their performance.

If you want to understand 'long term and short-term fuel trims' (that's what Adaptation is all about), then watch this video and find out more:

With all of our Custom Remote Mappings, before we finalize the tune, we asked that customers drive their car for a week and provide us logs so we can check adaptations. If something is 'off', then we know what to adjust; and in the case of any hardware issues, the data-logs will point to the right direction and assist in the trouble-shooting process.

So if your adaptation is "out of range" after each tank of gas... well then, you either have hardware issues or your maps are not adjusted correctly.

Bigger than 550cc injectors: If you need something bigger than 550cc, then your MINI is at the upper limits of the stock ecu. Remember, the stock ECU was built to work with 340cc injectors from the factory. So upgrading to 550cc (1.5x more than what it was designed to do) while still making the car run smooth like an OEM unit, we think that's pretty darn good.

The FA Tuning Kit is not for everyone... if you're making (or planning) to make close to 300WHP, then either upgrade the ECU to Standalone unit, install a "return fuel system", or go with bigger injectors.

For the Bytetronik team, we think our Tuning Kit will satisfy 95% of the MINI enthusiasts out there...

Happy motoring

Old 11-14-2013, 04:28 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Wondered if the old record would ever fall.

Those guy's @ 1320 know their stuff.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
soccerbummer1104
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
although FYI, it is rumored ViPEC is working on OBDII support ... probably not true but it would be nice.

For now I just live in SC where we have no vehicle inspections or emissions checks.

woohoo!

Plus if you build the car yourself (rip it down and assemble it) you technically can register it as a kit car and get around the regulations.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 PM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Wow, we are honored to have our 'reflashing' tuning kit compared to a ViPec stand-alone ECU. If someone is going to run that comparison, then this is truly an "Apple to Orange" comparison (to say the very least).
Unfortunately for some of us, we live in areas or countries where car tuning is not at such an advanced level as the US, Germany or Japan. We have to rely on information we find on the net or from more experienced people who are willing to share their knowledge about these things in order for us to make informed decisions about how to get our cars safely and smoothly to the level we want.

In saying this, the comparison of this thread was not saying that your product is the same as Vipec, it was simply taking the 2 most popular tuning products available to R53 owners and kicking off a discussion on the pros and cons of each in the hope to allow less experienced people like myself to make an informed decision.

Where i live it is basically impossible to find a stock R53 and some are pretty highly modified but all except for 1 (running a Viesu) are all using JCW ECU upgrades at best. No one knows about these options because no one is prepared to be a guinea pig in a place where there's no reliable support for these products.

Personally i am leaning towards Vipec not because i want to get over 300hp, but because its easier to find information and support on tuning and its a system more similar to most ECU options for other cars currently on the market, meaning easier to find a tuner.

You guys do offer a superb remote tuning service from what ive heard but like me, people love their cars and want to know what is happening to them during modifications and not just blindly give up all control to a tuning place. Not just for peace of mind but also for when someone asks you about your car you dont just stand there like an idiot and admit you dont know the details. Im sure a lot of people can appreciate that they want to be kept in the loop with things.

Everything about the Bytetronik DIY tuning and "support" all seems a bit secret squirrel to me and although you guys emphasize that the product was years in the making, rights need to be protected and money needs to be made, the other side of the coin is that some people arent going to be into this stand point you've made. On the other hand, for those who are willing to let you guys handle things and not worry to much about what they know about their car's tune then Bytetronik is great choice. I understand even the maps people pay for from your remote tunes are sealed so the customer doesnt have access to the details?

Anyway, i think this is a fair comparison and is aimed at educating others about these 2 options for their cars in the name of motoring enthusiasm and sharing information without personal gain.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by llzeRoll
Personally i am leaning towards Vipec not because i want to get over 300hp, but because its easier to find information and support on tuning and its a system more similar to most ECU options for other cars currently on the market, meaning easier to find a tuner.
It's a free country (and a free world, for the most part)... people can decide what they want to do with their car mods.

Vipec probably has a "locking" feature and your tuner will likely have his/her tune on "lock" once they are done. It's unlikely that the tuner will allow others to read or adjust their maps.

cheers

Old 11-24-2013, 10:09 PM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
It's a free country (and a free world, for the most part)... people can decide what they want to do with their car mods.

Vipec probably has a "locking" feature and your tuner will likely have his/her tune on "lock" once they are done. It's unlikely that the tuner will allow others to read or adjust their maps.

cheers
That is what i was referring to. You guys are way too much about money and this oozes from all your posts and replies. And thats kool, im not about to tell you how to run your business or give a lesson on karma, just not surprising to read a some of the bad experiences from other customers expecting more from your product and service than 'pay, get a remote tune, and dont expect any other support or info'

Last time i had my golf's AEM tuned i was in the loop at all points cuz i am 'paying for a service' which should be my right IMO. No one would have anything bad to say about you guys to make the money from selling your kits and then provide decent info and support on tuning instead of offering a tunable kit and then deliberately limiting tuning and support info leaving customers 100% reliant on you.
Youre already making the money off the kit, the kit cant be used for more than one car and the majority of people cant tune your kit even if you supplied more information with it anyway... so i really dont know why you guys are so stingy and security orientated. No one cares... they just wanna have fun with their cars.

Its enough to scare me off. I like to work with and buy from people with similar principles. And those are a love of cars, knowledge and sharing. But thats just me bro. No need to get worked up on it. As you said its a free world and everyone's different. Congrats on making a great product.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:29 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
cant wait for my byteronic tune!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:56 AM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
Has anyone heard or used Viezu? It looks about the same as bytetronik (ECU remapping) but I've never seen anyone discuss it on the forums. Anyone know anything about this?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Personally I've never heard of them, and from what I saw, doing a quick search, it appears to be nothing like Bytetronik, seems to me to be more like the old MTH "canned" tunes. Maybe the tables look similar, but so do 99% of all fuel & tuning tables. They only "mention" custom tuning, but of course it's a "contact us" situation.
This may be just me, but I really don't trust anyone who mentions "chip" tuning in reference to our cars.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
90intherain
1st Gear
As a Vipec owner, I couldn't be happier. Best investment I ever made.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 PM
llzeRoll
1st Gear
A friend is asking a question on Vipec someone may be able to answer for me.
Vipec doesnt support OBDII so what effect does this have when servicing and checking for problems? What does Vipec use in place of this? thx!

Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 AM
90intherain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by llzeRoll
A friend is asking a question on Vipec someone may be able to answer for me. Vipec doesnt support OBDII so what effect does this have when servicing and checking for problems? What does Vipec use in place of this? thx!
The Vipec can be read by your laptop computer for codes.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:32 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
If I'm not mistaken, your CEL still works, and you can program what triggers it.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 AM
90intherain
1st Gear
If I'm not mistaken, your CEL still works, and you can program what triggers it.
U r correct sir

Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I gotta tell you fellas, I have two cars and both have Bytetronik. Mynes has set up a local tuner/shop owner/racing enthusiast in my area and it's pretty simple to run the car to the shop, pop it on the dyno, hook it up and check it out and if it needs anything it's easy to adjust. He loves it and so do his customers. It helps support his shop, his techs and since his customers can afford his services everyone wins.
In my opinion Bytetronik works for the majority of us folks who just want a reliable/simple way to tune to our mods and it seems to work well in our area with the tuner Mynes has supported.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Bytetronik vs Vipec