Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water alone won't wash the oil off of a K&N filter - you need the cleaner as well, which smells to me like 409 cleaner.

Also, the oil embedded in the filter medium will help to keep water from going through the filter. It will repel a great deal of waterspray.

In the Jeep world, lots of folks run open element K&N filters - a filtercharger setup or similar - and many of them stretch an old nylon stocking over the filter and swear that it repels all but a direct soaking of water.

I haven't tried that personally, but I've driven through many heavy downpours and a number of creek/river crossings and never had any problems with water in my Jeep intake system.

Old 05-14-2004, 07:04 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why do the rockcrawler-mudbogger types have stockings lying around?

Old 05-14-2004, 08:45 AM
caddman
Banned
i hope it is because all the naked ladies are mudwrestleing.....

Old 05-14-2004, 02:40 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
I had a ducati with a trimmed airbox and exposed panel filter. In a really heavy downpour about a third of the filter would become saturated.

No ill effect.

I remember a shop class teacher in high school squirting (with a spray bottle) water directly in an open carb. I can't for the life of me remember why he was doing this as it's been twenty years, but obviously it won't hurt the engine to ingest a water mist.

In fact, I'd wager that HAI is safer than the stocker in terms of water. The stock looks like a straw!

Jeff

Old 05-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Namooka
Neutral
Simple. It's a prefilter. The coarser sock stops the large particles (sand / mud) so they don't clog up the pleated element. Having this in series with the pleated element certainly increases DP, but once things get dirty, the sock helps, and the dirt "cake" should fall off the sock with the vibrations, and the sock can be cleaned quickly. You know this all since you were a filter process engineer in a former life, but some people may not.
BROWN!!

>>Why do the rockcrawler-mudbogger types have stockings lying around?

Old 05-14-2004, 04:06 PM
miniraider
3rd Gear
this is great we all have speend so much on our air intake.
now we can just put the filter right on the intake that is prety cool, thanks for sharing this info....

Old 05-19-2004, 10:36 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
I just drove around in fairly heavy rain, splashing through puddles, at speeds up to 60 mph. I pulled into the garage, popped the hood, and took a dry paper towel to the fliter. It was dry as a bone. In fact, the only water on the towel came from water dripping off the opened hood.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
hey Andy have you got any perf. increase #'s yet? HP differences, etc. thanks

Old 05-19-2004, 12:20 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Andy, have you done any acceleration comparisons between the HAI and another intake?
Or what does the butt dyno report.....?

How noisy, (SC whine) ?

<A HREF="https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/albums/album04/Mini_X_2b1.jpg" TARGET="_blank">
His, Chile RED over, Madness intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Helix 15% Pulley &amp; RDR Swaybar
Hers, Electric Blue / Union Jack on top and BONE Stock

Old 05-19-2004, 12:46 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
In dry weather, I'll do some runs, then swap the Alta and/or the stock intake back in for more runs. I'll post up change in speed-vs-change in time (acceleration) plots plus a BUNCH of other cool parameters.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
right on! Looking foward to them. take care

Old 05-20-2004, 04:05 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
yeah i just got the filter in today. i also installed it.. it really sucked to install it because the filter was partially over the TB. i had to saw off a piece of the OEM intake tubing just so it can have clearance. but now it is a lot better. wish i can show you guys pictures of the piece i cut but dont know how to put pictures up. anyways... throttle response... to me it &quot;feels&quot; the same. my friend says that im trippen. he says first gear picks up a lot faster now. i trust his word on that. but boy oh boy.... the supercharger whine is crazzzzzzyyyyyy. it is REALLY louder. what worries me is that i sorta hear a rice boy sound.. it sounds like a can when i accel. my friend was driving my car and i stood outside to hear it and you can hear the intake &quot;popping&quot;

all in all though i do like this new HAI. i wish i knew how much i gained on it though. ill dyno as soon as i get back from streets of willows this saturday.

-nam huynh

Old 05-20-2004, 04:47 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
speaking of which, in the installation process, all you have to do is take the airbox and tubing off, and clamp on the air filter, and thats it? what was that oil breather thing and i heard talk of nipples.

i saw the pictures from earlier in the thread, but they didnt show any pics of any nippleage, or where they were placed. i will read again to make sure.
and nam, you had to make cuts into the stock tubing?

did you have to do that, too, andy? (i dont seem to remember that you did, er at least mentioned anyway).

looking forward to your &quot;new and awesome&quot; parameters.

Old 05-20-2004, 04:49 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
&gt;&gt;In dry weather, I'll do some runs, then swap the Alta and/or the stock intake back in for more runs. I'll post up change in speed-vs-change in time (acceleration) plots plus a BUNCH of other cool parameters.

If you could post the quantum flux numbers that would be great!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:20 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
I didn't cut anything. It sounds like nammerz left the factory scoop in place. I removed mine.

The deal with the breather hose is it plugs into the stock rubber intake pipe. Since that pipe has been removed, that breather needs to go somewhere. The cleanest and simplest way to go would be to thread an elbow into the back panel of the filter, then attach the hose to it. I opted to attach a cheap breather filter to the hose instead.

dgszweda1,

I will measure the amount of plasma that is boosted in each scenario.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:58 PM
kapolani
2nd Gear
Pretty cool stuff andy...

You're a true nerd!

Seriously though - show me the numbers!

Oh.. and the flux capacitor needs tweaking....

Old 05-21-2004, 06:14 AM
samawil
5th Gear
The Continuum transfunctioner's power is only preceeded by it's mystery...dyno charts coming

Old 05-21-2004, 09:31 AM
miniraider
3rd Gear
this cool i am picken up my k&amp;n filter this weekend i will try to see how does this work...for me....
thanks for the great info..can you post pictuers onthe brether tub if you can.
what about steam cleaning engine , do just cover the air filter with a plastic bag, or is there a beter way .
what is next?

Old 05-21-2004, 10:31 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
I think I missed it....what is the number for the KN filter?

BTW, you guys rock!

Old 05-21-2004, 10:47 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Page 1.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:48 AM
scobib
5th Gear
&gt;&gt;I think I missed it....what is the number for the KN filter?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;BTW, you guys rock!

K&amp;N RU 1520

Which took about as much time to type as 'Page 1.'

Old 05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
doh!

zipped right past it!

Old 05-22-2004, 09:43 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
for those who are searching for a cheap source for this filter (i checked out the link andy provided (thanks andy!) and they charged $15 for shipping in the US. GAR!)

on that note: http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/knfilte...rt_num=RU-1520

$35.24 and free shipping and handling!

i havent purchased yet, as i dont want to remove my factory scoop, or cut anything to make it fit (since i dont want to remove the scoop). i wonder if there are other filters that are shorter that would fit and give the same performance.

yes, yes, i am very meek about my warranty.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
&gt;&gt;I had a ducati with a trimmed airbox and exposed panel filter. In a really heavy downpour about a third of the filter would become saturated.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;No ill effect.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;I remember a shop class teacher in high school squirting (with a spray bottle) water directly in an open carb. I can't for the life of me remember why he was doing this as it's been twenty years, but obviously it won't hurt the engine to ingest a water mist.

That's an old school trick for decarbonizing the spark plugs, piston crowns and valves. It's called chill shocking and was used when an engine continued to run after turning it off, a sure sign that it had carbon build up in the combustion chamber. The hot glowing carbon would continue to light off the fuel without a spark.

:smile:

Old 05-24-2004, 11:27 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
well, i went ahead and ordered the filter from the link i posted. the receipt said as advertised on their site, so we shall see.

anyways, did anyone get any performance numbers yet? i will install it if only for the sound enhancement (if it is good.. otherwise, back to stock i go). what does it sound like in comparison to the alta? i've heard from some people that the alta sounds like it has a blow off valve or something similar. i've also heard it &quot;screams&quot;? so what does our $35 wonder sound like, i wonder wonder.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake