Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:02 AM
caddman
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually mac, its not completely disabled, if you look on the other side of the valve cover ther is another port running to just before the supercharger, i would say it has been modded and probably not as fuctional but still is some...

Old 05-11-2004, 02:07 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
hey great great stuff there but i got a few questions that is boggling my mind.....

ok so you get the same flow numbers and near same temperatures or better and stuff.... what gets me thinking is this... and dont worry im not bashing or anything im just wondering because like did you get these numbers when the car is parked and stuff.

hMM confusing huh? ok ill use an example.. ok the acura rsx type s.. there are two types of intakes ill use as an example. one of them is the AEM CAI and the other is the INJEN CAI. AEM claims 18 to 20 hp on their CAI and it maintains that number even on the tracks and stuff. so it performs as well as it has its numbers to back them up. INJEN on the other hand gets 15 hp on the dyno and stuff BUTTTTT it does nothing when people actually drive it. so even if they make great numbers on the dyno.. it gotta do well on the track because thats what it matters most right?

so again im not bashing but how does it do well on the tracks? i mean i as well as all of us are interested in this. i mean come on.. who isnt willing to give up 40 bucks to buy a filter and have that extra 180 dollars to lets say... go buy more mods with that?

-nam huynh

Old 05-11-2004, 03:27 AM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want to make it look nice, you could go with the Cooper intake from Moss

Old 05-11-2004, 03:32 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Andy: why don't you start a company? maybe have a contest to decide a name?

Old 05-11-2004, 03:48 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>hey great great stuff there but i got a few questions that is boggling my mind.....
>>
....>>
>>-nam huynh
Well, he is planning to do "butt-dyno" comparison testing soon. He also mentioned comparing a naturally aspirated engine and one with forced induction is like "apples & oranges." The NA engine is more affected for intake temp.

Andy: why don't you start a company? maybe have a contest to decide a name?
How about "Ross-Tech"?

Old 05-11-2004, 05:00 AM
jlm
6th Gear
heh, heh!

Old 05-11-2004, 05:51 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
>>hey great great stuff there but i got a few questions that is boggling my mind.....
>>
>>ok so you get the same flow numbers and near same temperatures or better and stuff.... what gets me thinking is this... and dont worry im not bashing or anything im just wondering because like did you get these numbers when the car is parked and stuff.
>>
>>hMM confusing huh? ok ill use an example.. ok the acura rsx type s.. there are two types of intakes ill use as an example. one of them is the AEM CAI and the other is the INJEN CAI. AEM claims 18 to 20 hp on their CAI and it maintains that number even on the tracks and stuff. so it performs as well as it has its numbers to back them up. INJEN on the other hand gets 15 hp on the dyno and stuff BUTTTTT it does nothing when people actually drive it. so even if they make great numbers on the dyno.. it gotta do well on the track because thats what it matters most right?
>>
>>so again im not bashing but how does it do well on the tracks? i mean i as well as all of us are interested in this. i mean come on.. who isnt willing to give up 40 bucks to buy a filter and have that extra 180 dollars to lets say... go buy more mods with that?
>>
>>-nam huynh

Nam,

You have to read the posts. The third post showed Andy's numbers. They were perfomed in 2nd gear at 65mph. There are no dyno numbers here. Frankly I don't care. These are the real numbers generated by the use of this intake (temp/pressure), not hp.

Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 AM
samawil
5th Gear
This is honestly the best thread in a while up in her...

So from someone else's post...you had to disasemble or relocate the emmissions system to use the HEI or was that for something else?

Mac, thanks for the answer, now I understand...boost will go up to a certain point and then drop due to different variables, one of which is air temp...right?

That said, if we could find a way to use the Alta foam filter (by finding a coupling device) would that/could that work better than the K&N?

L

Old 05-11-2004, 06:47 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cheese was being a bit dramatic about the emissions system. There are two vent lines from the valve cover that dispose of vapors and allow the crankcase to "breathe". One of those lines is routed back into the inlet to the supercharger. The other line is routed into the rubber inlet hose just upstream from the throttle body. By using a breather filter on the second line, vapors can escape into the engine compartment rather than being ducted back into the air intake. BUT, 99.9% of the time, that line experiences a mild vacuum. So, air is being inhaled through the filter rather than vapors being purged MOST of the time. Only under heavy load/boost, are vapors escaping. I may end up getting an elbow and threading it into the endcap of the K&N, but it's not super high on my priority list.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:16 AM
samawil
5th Gear
When you first did it, was there some sort of light that was trigered inside the car, (like a CO sensor or someting) or is this from experience? Also, what are the risks of emmisions under the hood? Can they leak back into the car and cause some problems?

No bashing, just heavy interest...I really want to get rid of the sound that the alta makes under low pressure, and am seriously considering doing this :smile:

L

Old 05-11-2004, 07:27 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
There are no sensors for the crankcase ventilation, so no lights have come on and there are no fault codes. In a holistic sense, my car may have slightly higher overall emissions, but it's nothing like removing the cat.

Old 05-11-2004, 07:34 AM
samawil
5th Gear

Old 05-12-2004, 10:07 AM
nammerz
4th Gear
Im not worrying about numbers, although i did bring up hp in my reply. i was just wondering does it maintain that flow number. AEM had better flow than INJEN thats why the RSX community went for AEM. it maintained its numbers and flow. so i was wondering about HAI VS CAI and how these numbers are... i guess you can say maintained. again im not bashing. i am just wondering about these numbers and how they are in real time situations.

-nam huynh

Old 05-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Sprydle
Neutral
>>If you want to make it look nice, you could go with the Cooper intake from Moss
>>
>>
>>
>>

Has anyone tried using this intake on an S? Looks like it could be an excellent cheap alternative intake if it fits.

Cheers,
Sprydle

Old 05-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Would this work with the Cooper as well? Its practically the same exact same position minus the tube connecting it to the TB The cooper's tubing even runs right to that area, so should i try this out on my cooper too?

Old 05-12-2004, 11:48 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
I'm not sure how efficient or inefficient the stock Cooper intake is. Someone may wish to measure the air pressure with a magnehelic gauge to see what they get for stock and modded values.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:01 PM
binkysmini
3rd Gear
Hi all,
Been following this thread, as well as others, about intakes. So now I have a question that may only garner theories and not hard evidence, but, here goes...
Is there any advantage to be had by having a tube of any length or shape between the filter and the TB? I remember the old days when a tunnel ram manifold was used on a big block V8. Does the tube increase airflow? Does it increase turbulence? Is that good? I am sure at some point there are diminishing returns. But where is that point?
So what I am wondering is if a short tube would help? Would a longer tube that bends more slowly be better or worse than no tube at all? In this thread there is the question of the Cooper aftermarket intake. In another thread active right now about K&N Typhoon, there is a photo of (buckeyemcs') an intake that has a cone filter in the regular aftermarket intake location, but with no front on the shield. Does that make any sense.
Again, I am only interested in theories now, not hard numbers. Because I figure nobody has numbers with all of those variables. But some people have some experience with flow dynamics, or at least slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 05-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
Andy,

I think to prove that the K&N filter connected directly to the TB creates less pressure than a Cold air intake with tubing, you have to test using the same filter. The K&N may just flow better than the Alta making your comparisons invalid. Can you test comparing the K&N directly connected to the TB to the K&N connected to the Alta Airbox? That would at least show if the Filter is the restriction or if the tubing is the restriction. You may even get better performance from the K&N/Alta combination. Either way I think it shows you don't have to speed alot of money for better performance. At least with the K&N connected diectly to the TB you have more room for a big turbo where the airbox used to be, or use the airbox for extra storage.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:07 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Yep, I'll do that when I put the Alta back on. I've been driving around happily with the HAI and am reluctant to throw the Alta back on there.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:07 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
>>Andy,
>>
>>I think to prove that the K&N filter connected directly to the TB creates less pressure than a Cold air intake with tubing, you have to test using the same filter. The K&N may just flow better than the Alta making your comparisons invalid. Can you test comparing the K&N directly connected to the TB to the K&N connected to the Alta Airbox? That would at least show if the Filter is the restriction or if the tubing is the restriction. You may even get better performance from the K&N/Alta combination. Either way I think it shows you don't have to speed alot of money for better performance. At least with the K&N connected diectly to the TB you have more room for a big turbo where the airbox used to be, or use the airbox for extra storage. :smile: or as in the pther post, a fuel pressure regulator and the pluming back...

Old 05-12-2004, 03:25 PM
jlm
6th Gear
i think the circuit through the blower and the intercoooler offsets any induction length tuning.

The most restrictivbe portion of the intake tract is the squeezed and tortured connector between the throttle bdy and blower; a real pos just begging for the experimental chamber at the secret lab.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:09 PM
caddman
Banned
i would have to agree with JLM, but i still have a question out there hanging, is there a possiblity the the restriction from the alta/stock and any other soft tube intake from colapsing? I know i am running the K&N with the metal tube, and curious if there were to be gains by simply removing the tube, i have no way of testing this due to not having the right equip, but am familiar in other cases of having a problem with the colapse of soft tube intakes, the charateristics are similar of the results Andy has, not saying that is the explination for his results, but something to check on.....I agree also with jlm on that nasty peice between the throttle body and SC, i feel that is a big part in the minimal gains from changing the throttlebody out, only if i could weld diecently, i would try and fix that one with a metal none contorted peice, also the fact the system is forced takes any resonace properties out of the equation, it turns to almost a sheer volume equation, only when it gets into the head/ cylinder chamber do we need to worry about HOW its flowing, up to that point it is HOW MUCH is flowing.......kinda the same with the exhaust on the way out, how it flows out, after the head how much.....

Old 05-12-2004, 05:58 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi guys....

I did some preliminary testing for our "new" CAI, and started with taking pressure readings from the
rubber down tube. And this is what I found:

1. Down tube pressure during 2nd gear WOT at 6000rpm -0.003psi negative pressure

2. Down tube pressure during 2nd gear WOT at 6000 rpm with scoop force feeding cowl area +/-0.00 psi

I would say force feeding the air in to the CAI is a plus (must).

peter

Team M7

Old 05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
macncheese
6th Gear

>>1. Down tube pressure during 2nd gear WOT at 6000rpm -0.003psi negative pressure
>>
>>2. Down tube pressure during 2nd gear WOT at 6000 rpm with scoop force feeding cowl area +/-0.00 psi
>>
>>I would say force feeding the air in to the CAI is a plus (must).
>>
>>peter
>>
>>Team M7

Peter,

What sort of instrumentation do you have that is capable of measuring with a tolerance of +/- .001 PSI?

Would you say that a .003PSI increase is "force feeding" ?

Thanks!

Cheese

Old 05-12-2004, 06:40 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Cheese.....my bad, low blood sugar, hungry, tired,Etc. Etc.

It's .3 and I use a Dwyer series 475 Mark 3 Digital manometer.

And yes I do beleive that the pressure difference is significant, as I was scooping in the air in a very rudimentary way
at fairly low speeds, and I was not connected in anyway with the airbox.
I would not say that .3 is a significant number by any means, but if the ram air would be connected in one way or an other to the air box, significant gains could be had adding possitive pressurized air to the throttle body.

peter
Team M7

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Operation Hot Air Intake