Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Turbo heat control

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
el_chupo_
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo heat control

I have experienced the joys of a melted hood scoop recently, and am on a quest to resolve my problem.

Step 1. Visit dealer for a new hood scoop.

Step 2. Ordered a AEM intake with turbo heat shield.

Step 3. ????????? help.

My thoughts are varied - I know WMW makes a turbo wrap. But thats almost 200 bones, and I just spent $1500 on wheels and an intake. I need some relief for a few weeks while my spending money builds back up...

I was thinking about using this stuff around the factory turbo heat shield to help keep some of the temps from squeezing out. Not under the shield like the WMW wrap, but over the exposed part you can see.

Then have the AEM heat shield above that.

Also thinking I could wrap the hot side tube with some of the same stuff (or the 1.5" tape that is the same material) to help prevent a little more heat from invading my engine bay.

Am I barking up the wrong tree/wasting time and money on this?

I dont expect performance gains or to duplicate dedicated products, but if this will help and not cause problems, it seems like an inexpensive way to help lower the temps.

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:55 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The AEM looks pretty much the same as the DDMWorks version, so at least your scoop is truly open to the outside environment. The stock blocked off scoop is nonsense and I believe could be one of the major causes to the bending scoops besides cheap material. I went back to my stock painted scoop and have been using it in this record summer heat along with a track weekend this past week. No bending yet and I don't expect to see it since my hood scoop is open.

The WMW heat wrap is probably the best solution. It keeps all the heat in the turbo and maintains energy in the exhaust stream to promote better engine efficiency. Yea there are better looking solutions out there but wrapping the turbo directly makes the most sense.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Chris(CA)
2nd Gear
I'm kinda in the sale position, I tried trick on thermally reflective heat stuff on the inside of the hood but it didn't do enough.
I found that mini now makes an underhood 'sound deadener' that is being fitted to cars with factory stripes (to stop them going off white) and ordered one. It was $90 online plus shipping, still waiting for it to arrive.

I don't like wrapping the turbo up, it just cooks it more and seems to exchange one problem for another...

Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Malcon
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna work on some sort of air duct that runs to the turbo area... Maybe that will help somehow. Along with the opened hood scoop, and heat-shield.

Old 07-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Just installed Carbon Fiber hood scoop yesterday and it looks great! I was thinking of picking this up from Bluefox. Hood Vent Scoop.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ent-scoop.html

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
el_chupo_
1st Gear
Thanks for the thoughts. I dont want to do the full wrap yet, but may in the future.

Shane- I am thinking like you, actual cold air. As to the melting - we have 41K on the car before we saw a warp, and it was just there one day. Temps had been mid 90s to 100s for a couple weeks...

Chris - have a link to the piece? or know what it might be under on realoem.com?
is it the piece in the link Dozuki01 posted?

I dont plan on just doing the reflective stuff, but using it in conjunction with the scoop for the AEM and on the heat shield. I figure if I can cut a few degrees off each layer, I have a decent net effect.

Malcon - keep us updated, that would be cool (no pun intended.)

Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you removed the vent scoop grill and dremel'ed / saw-off the blocked holes?
Or have you looked at MiniFini hood scoop grill insert?

To remove heat off the hood scoop, I'm using the factory installed 'deadening' (black material), OEM aluminum heat shield (bright silver) and the stainless steel vent scoop (dark silver) I fabricate:

- Erik

Last edited by bluefox280; 07-06-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After you install the AEM, that will probably cure the hood scoop melting problem, so I'd wait on the wrap.
The WMW heat wrap is a good idea, but like you say, $200 is a tad steep. Contrary to some thoughts, it does not hurt the turbo at all, keeping the heat in where it should be, and helps the flow of the exhaust gasses. I swear I'm not making this up Chris (CA), honest. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Not sure if MINI offers this, but my Coupe S came with a sound deadening material that covers the entire underside of the hood.

After a hard drive the hood is warm, not hot at all.
I have added the NM heat shield for the heck of it and now after a hard
drive it is cool to the touch....no warmth at all.

The shield might have been overkill but I just felt like buying something

Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NM titanium heat shield along with the MiniFini grill keeps my scoop cool even after long Georgia summer drives.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
There are lots of options, but the $28 MINI part worked for me after I had the scoop replaced. In fact Mini included the shield with the new scoop at no charge. So now I have a brand new shield sitting in a box in the garage.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:34 AM
el_chupo_
1st Gear
I am waiting on Mini to call and tell my the scoop has been painted. I dont know about the Mini heat sheild - I had the black one seen above, but not the silver one.

NewCooperFanatic - Do you have a picture of the full hood coverage piece?

I have already installed the AEM intake so that would not fit with the air scoop piece anyways. I can see how the extra shield, coupled with the black "thermal blanket" piece would be good protection as well.

Melangell - I was thinking about dremeling out the holes in the factory scoop grill (it is removed right now), but I like the black Minifini one. Good call!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by el_chupo_
I am waiting on Mini to call and tell my the scoop has been painted. I dont know about the Mini heat sheild - I had the black one seen above, but not the silver one.

NewCooperFanatic - Do you have a picture of the full hood coverage piece?
Damn I can't believe I missed this thread, here are the photos you asked for...

Attached Thumbnails Turbo heat control-photo-1.jpg   Turbo heat control-photo-2.jpg  
Old 07-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Chris(CA)
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Damn I can't believe I missed this thread, here are the photos you asked for...
I bought that exact underhood piece for my 2009 MCS but unfortunately there are no holes to mount it with the clips. I'm debating drilling holes to fit it in place. What year is your car?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM
el_chupo_
1st Gear
No worries, appreciate the picture. That looks awesome, I wouldnt mind getting one of those.

The AEM heat shield seems to be doing well, hood is much cooler. I will drive it for a while and keep checking, then make changes as needed.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
speedkills66
3rd Gear
The only "heat control" I use is the Mini-Fini Black Stainless Intake Scoop Grill.
You remove the mostly cosmetic black plastic factory insert and install a real grill.

I no longer even use the underhood sheet metal retrofit thing.

Even after agressive driving my hood and scoop are only warm to the touch and it dissipates very quickly.

I think the sun shining on my hood while parked creates more heat on my scoop than driving does.

http://www.minifini.com/ShopDetail.aspx?id=64

Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Dozuki01
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chris(CA)
I'm kinda in the sale position, I tried trick on thermally reflective heat stuff on the inside of the hood but it didn't do enough.
I found that mini now makes an underhood 'sound deadener' that is being fitted to cars with factory stripes (to stop them going off white) and ordered one. It was $90 online plus shipping, still waiting for it to arrive.

I don't like wrapping the turbo up, it just cooks it more and seems to exchange one problem for another...
Chris(CA)

Where did you order the full under good deadening from and would you be able to share the part number.

TIA

Old 07-22-2012, 11:42 AM
cjm
3rd Gear
Dozuki01, there's a similar thread running parallel to this on the R58 coupe group.

I've just installed R58 MCS coupe underbonnet insulation on my '12 R56 hardtop MCS.

Bonnet part numbers are the same for hardtop, coupe and roadster so the insulation must be interchangeable.

If you look at RealOEM for R56 you'll be pointed at a diesel part with the turbo heat reflector at the back. The coupe part fits but has no heat shield in the 'wrong place'...

Last edited by cjm; 07-22-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: insert word
Old 07-22-2012, 11:47 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I bought the Way Motor Works turbo wrap just after I bought my car. I wasn't aware of problems with the hood scoop melting when I got it, it was to improve turbo efficiency.

I also removed the grill from the scoop, I can think of no reason to have anything in it's place.

My hood scoop remains unmelted.

Dave

Old 07-22-2012, 01:36 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cjm
Dozuki01, there's a similar thread running parallel to this on the R58 coupe group.

I've just installed R58 MCS coupe underbonnet insulation on my '12 R56 hardtop MCS.

Bonnet part numbers are the same for hardtop, coupe and roadster so the insulation must be interchangeable.

If you look at RealOEM for R56 you'll be pointed at a diesel part with the turbo heat reflector at the back. The coupe part fits but has no heat shield in the 'wrong place'...

Chris(CA)

It is a 2012 Coupe.....and yes, there is a thread in the R58 section about this heat insulation blanket.
Some cars came with, others didn't.

I was lucky to have it installed already and I have to say it works very well.