Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain How affective are the various upgraded intake pipes and tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How affective are the various upgraded intake pipes and tubes?

There exist aftermarket options to replace essentially every piece of piping that makes up the intake system. Buy everything and you're spending close to $500.

Is it really worth the money? Are their proven results?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
I take it you meant to say effective, not affective.

An upgraded intake is not very cost effective. You can gain a couple hp with the best systems, or you
could even lose some if it's taking in warmer under-the-hood air.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
got to it before i did.

They will give a little quicker spook time pricey ones are just the icing on the cake for a nice fitment/look, but a pipe is just a pipe.

Originally Posted by cristo

An upgraded intake is not very cost effective. You can gain a couple hp with the best systems, or you

Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an Alta hard turbo inlet pipe mated with a DoS CAI. Seems to get the job done and makes a nice sound. Nothing too noticeable in increased power but the turbo spools a bit quicker now.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I know intakes themselves are pretty much worthless. I was more interested in the intercooler piping and the pipe between the airbox and turbo inlet.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cristo

A big +1 for this thought!!

Also Helix said when I called them on the phone, "no need to replace the the muffler/resonator pipe on the IC since it does so little it is not worth it".
I have an IC on order and do not plan on changing the piping.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 PM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only change ive made to the piping was removing that intake muffler. it cost me $8 for a piece of aluminized pipe from autozone and it helps me sleep just a little better at night knowing i replaced that huge, bulky muffler with a smooth open pipe. lol

Old 11-10-2011, 05:21 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by p8ntbollr
the only change ive made to the piping was removing that intake muffler. it cost me $8 for a piece of aluminized pipe from autozone and it helps me sleep just a little better at night knowing i replaced that huge, bulky muffler with a smooth open pipe. lol
I sort of feel the same way but more noise in the cabin is not particularly good for me When I changed the exhaust system from just after the first CAT all the way back with the same diameter pipe as the down pipe it made my soul feel good but it made my ears search for plugs

Does the stock intake muffler have ridges on the ends of the pipe to make the connection more secure?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I can tell you that the inter cooler piping you speak of there is only 2 pipes that get replaced. There is another on that probably could use replacing but is over looked, this is the one that comes out of the inter cooler on the passenger side. Also though it would be difficult to make and work right the pipe that goes from there to the TB could really use some in larging and replacing.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:29 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Well I can tell you that the inter cooler piping you speak of there is only 2 pipes that get replaced. There is another on that probably could use replacing but is over looked, this is the one that comes out of the inter cooler on the passenger side. Also though it would be difficult to make and work right the pipe that goes from there to the TB could really use some in larging and replacing.
Yep, you are correct, enlarging the cold side pipe would be tough! The hot side is more of a slam dunk. There are several people making fancy, good looking pipes for that purpose.

Since we are talking about hanging an intercooler on those pipes alone it would be good for those pipes to have the ridges in the ends to keep the I.C. from slowly coming out of the engagement. Do the aftermarket pipes have ridges?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:50 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
NM pipes do, The pipes will give you quicker spool. That being said, if you are not super sensative to driving characteristic changes you will not notice anything.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I noticed a very slight improvement. But barely. Once you do other mods that kinda just fades and you can't tell at all.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
NM pipes do, The pipes will give you quicker spool. That being said, if you are not super sensative to driving characteristic changes you will not notice anything.
Thanks for the tip on the NM pipes! I personally think that ridge is important.

I might notice the difference in spool time since I seem to hear/feel lots of differences that most folks don't

Old 11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
If you have a high quality non "prosport" gauge you will see the spool difference.

Originally Posted by SMOG
Thanks for the tip on the NM pipes! I personally think that ridge is important.

I might notice the difference in spool time since I seem to hear/feel lots of differences that most folks don't

Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
i noticed more hissing if i am next to a wall or in an underground car park. i didn't notice any power gains. if i was doing it all over i wouldn't bother.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:14 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
If you have a high quality non "prosport" gauge you will see the spool difference.
For measuring OBD2 things I use a PLX sender and an i-Phone with REV. program to read all sorts of parameters.

I would prefer Marshall gauges but I have not felt I need to tear into the car that far, yet! Like oil pressure, engine coolant temp.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM
p8ntbollr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
I was taking a look at my friends 2011 MINI and it looks like they use the same size pipe for the nosiemaker that youre talking about however its just a straight through pipe with the noisemaker deleted. When i go to the dealer today i was going to ask if i could buy this pipe to replace mine with. I'll let you know what they say after i check with them.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
I was thinking about switching out the intercooler tubes just cause i feel like i want something more hanging on to my intercooler not just to flimsy tubes (even though i know there not the flimsy, they were a pain in the *** to take off the stock IC)

Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by turtle343
i noticed more hissing if i am next to a wall or in an underground car park. i didn't notice any power gains. if i was doing it all over i wouldn't bother.
The hissing would be OK, maybe something like a roots blower?

Why did you go with the Alta IC, especially with the RMW Tune? RMW really likes the Helix...

Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
I was thinking about switching out the intercooler tubes just cause i feel like i want something more hanging on to my intercooler not just to flimsy tubes (even though i know there not the flimsy, they were a pain in the *** to take off the stock IC)
You had new hoses to remove and that might make it more difficult.

How was getting the bumper cover off the front end of the 2011? Any suggestions?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
You had new hoses to remove and that might make it more difficult.

How was getting the bumper cover off the front end of the 2011? Any suggestions?
honestly for me getting the bumber off was hell. everthing goes fine until you get to those brake ducts.. then you have to wish for small hands and get the cut up. and remeber to mark your wiring so you dont get them mixed up. turned my headlights into a horn on accident lol

Old 11-14-2011, 02:02 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Funny about the lights/horn issue. Did the lights come on when the horn button was pushed??? I have been a believer in masking tape and a sharpie, for at least 20 years, when it comes to disassemble/reassembly of wiring and labeling same.

So, hazard warning on removal of brake ducts!! Gotcha Look for a competent 12yr. old with no nerve endings in his hands

I am trying to think if there is anything I should change while that bumper cover is off, don't want to do it twice

Stephen

Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Funny about the lights/horn issue. Did the lights come on when the horn button was pushed??? I have been a believer in masking tape and a sharpie, for at least 20 years, when it comes to disassemble/reassembly of wiring and labeling same.

So, hazard warning on removal of brake ducts!! Gotcha Look for a competent 12yr. old with no nerve endings in his hands

I am trying to think if there is anything I should change while that bumper cover is off, don't want to do it twice

Stephen
i think the markers went on when i beeped but i never actually looked.. but everyone did have a huge laugh over it. it was pretty rediculous lol but if i where you i would change the intake tubes while your down there or if your planning on changing any of the daytime running lights or foglights

Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Achilles honor
i think the markers went on when i beeped but i never actually looked.. but everyone did have a huge laugh over it. it was pretty rediculous lol but if i where you i would change the intake tubes while your down there or if your planning on changing any of the daytime running lights or foglights
NM Tubes maybe.

Moving my Hella 500 Fogs from the grill area to a lower position might be a good thing. I looked at those brake ducts and they are pretty small do do much cooling IMHO, so putting the fogs in that vicinity would not hurt my feelings. I saw someone on NAM who affixed them to the lower grill and claims "NO wiggle" which would certainly be better than stock driving lamp brackets or even the VIP Quad Lamp Bar (which I have) are a bit more solid.

Maybe a built-in video camera???

Old 11-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Built in camera would be sick but I would have to force you to go offload if your gonna have a built in camera lol

Quick Reply: Drivetrain How affective are the various upgraded intake pipes and tubes?