Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain *the sprintex owners thread*

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by rs53
I have been looking to get a sprintex for my car but am confused by your post. Are you saying 80whp is not a realistic gain with stock parts?
I'm saying we have seen a delta of 120whp from "stock" to "extreme" and that 80hp gains are not unheard of (which means it's quite possible -depending on your tune). If you don't have a good tune, then you can risk hurting the motor.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal
First of all, I don't have any intentions to be mean but... I would like to see what is the torque gain. Can you provide this information?

We all know HP sells cars and performance parts but Torque wins race (ie: electric car like the Tesla Roadster doesn't have alot of HP but instant full torque (alot!) at 0RPM. The 0-60, the 1/4mile and 45-75 are very impressive)
I bet you an all electric car will beat a Ferrari from 0-60mph That's beside the point.

Here are some testing results on the "Sprintex Stage II" and "Stage II Plus":
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...03-post17.html

Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 PM
rs53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
I'm saying we have seen a delta of 120whp from "stock" to "extreme" and that 80hp gains are not unheard of (which means it's quite possible -depending on your tune). If you don't have a good tune, then you can risk hurting the motor.
who else has made 80hp gains with just the sprintex? I have only seen 40hp on other forums. Even your own data shows 20hp in the link below. What am I missing here?

Here are some testing results on the "Sprintex Stage II" and "Stage II Plus":
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...03-post17.html
From looking on other forums it looks like $4000 of add ons to make 20hp less. I'm new to this so could you please explain? Should I just stay with stock parts then?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
It depends on how heavily modded your car is... if it's stock, then you'll have more "potential" gain. If your car is already heavily modded, then squeezing the last 40 extra hp is going to cost a lot more.

I put up the data as they are, you can read from it what you want. If this unit is not worth it to you, then stay with the stock parts

Old 12-20-2012, 02:10 PM
rs53
1st Gear
It depends on how heavily modded your car is... if it's stock, then you'll have more "potential" gain. If your car is already heavily modded, then squeezing the last 40 extra hp is going to cost a lot more.

I put up the data as they are, you can read from it what you want. If this unit is not worth it to you, then stay with the stock parts
My car is bone stock down to the pulley. I'm even more confused now. You are saying I will make 80hp on a stock car but only 40hp on a modified car?

Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 PM
HeavyMetal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet you an all electric car will beat a Ferrari from 0-60mph [/URL]
Just for the lewls!

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=electric+car+beats+ferrari

Old 12-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rs53
My car is bone stock down to the pulley. I'm even more confused now. You are saying I will make 80hp on a stock car but only 40hp on a modified car?
Read about the principle here and apply that towards car modification :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Magurczek
Neutral
You can put me down on the list, I have about 300 miles so far on the kit without any problems. I have only seen a peek boost of about 12.8psi as read through my scangauge, BUT I haven't really rung it out yet. Also I am running this without a tune on the supplied pully until its broken in and sealed up.

Now as far as my impressions of install and the kit quality itself.... Well I strugled for a couple days with a leak issue at the radial O-ring interface between the water pump and the block. I found that no matter what I did there was a constant missalignment of the water pump, and that if the pump itself was shifted by even a half of a degree it would cause it to leak. Eventially using shims and only two of the three mounting points I was able to keep the pump sealed up. After very close scrutiny I have concluded that the finish machining of the intake tube seems to be off. This I feel wouldn't be a problem but the O-ring spec'd for the interface has a high shure value and therefore is thinner than what would be optimal for a design that, more or less, relies on flexibility of the joint. A softer fatter O-ring I believe would solve this problem, something along the lines of a A50-55. I have to take the tube off and with it the water pump in a couple weeks so when I do I will measure and order an appropriate O-ring for reassembly.

Also I can't say I am blown away by the casting quality of the the intake tube or the ic horn. I managed to strip the threads from one of the holes for the throttle body with very very little force as the aluminum used is very soft. I feel as though a pressed in threaded insert would have remedied this with very little added cost.

Overall even with the hickups the kit is a pretty well thought out package and so far I am enjoying the change.

Last edited by Magurczek; 12-28-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:22 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
Glad you got it taken care of, welcome to the club.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM
rs53
1st Gear
Can someone explain to me why these superchargers won't make peak boost right away? Explain exactly how they seal up.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:33 AM
crikee1969
Neutral
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Ok so I know there is another thread about the Sprintex S/C that is ment for general discussion. I am starting this thread to be a list of owners who actually have the S/C and actual experiance with the production units. NO blabbering about pre-production pices! Just a list of owners, and their experiances and results GOOD or BAD.

Please keep the discussions to a minimum on this thread! SPRINTEX discussions and questions shuld be directed to the other SPRINTEX thread.

I will add the names as they become avalible.

1.) DICKS GARAGE R53
2.) blumini
3.) BlwnAway
4.) daveke
5.) Mad Maxxx
6.) Socalsurf4life
7.) R53 Mini SRT8
8.) Wheelspin
9.) racerx999
10.) Kavs
11.) Magurczek
12.)
Hi - I am about 500 mies into my Sprintex ...and already the serpentine belt has disintegrated...the torque tensioner appears to be doing a crap job...my mechanic has come up with a fix...back on the road. Please add me to the thread. Thank you.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
There was a tech bulletin out about a replacement tensioner piston for those who have had problems, not everyone had issues, basiclly it was a fix for those who did, I'll try & find the info & post it up.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
I have my S5-210 installed. Car runs but belt keeps hopping on the SC pulley. Anyone else have this problem ? Using the Gates belt provided. I am going to try to see if I can find a v ribbed belt instead of the flat rib and if that doesn't work I will be going with a 5 rib belt as suggested by Bill at AndysAutoSport. Has anyone else had this issue ? What was the resolution?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you have a problem with the alignment of the S/C or A/C compressor. I would not try a narrower belt... It will snap.

I would use your warranty.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fr0mmagna
I have my S5-210 installed. Car runs but belt keeps hopping on the SC pulley. Anyone else have this problem ? Using the Gates belt provided. I am going to try to see if I can find a v ribbed belt instead of the flat rib and if that doesn't work I will be going with a 5 rib belt as suggested by Bill at AndysAutoSport. Has anyone else had this issue ? What was the resolution?
Double check & see that your pulley(s) are all lining up, if so call Sprintex & check to see that you had the upgraded tensioner piston that I mentioned earlier in "your" kit, could just simply be a slightly weak tensioner piston allowing some bounce in the belt.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 PM
fr0mmagna
2nd Gear
Found a duralast belt that fit better and gave it a try.. its 5 mm shorter but got it on. It hopped also. It looks like the SC pulley is sitting closer to rear of the motor than the others which seems like why it bounces over. Its only ever the one groove and the tensioner doesn't flex at all even when taken to 4000 rpm. No idea what's going on with this thing. I've contacted AndysAutoSport and theyre working with me every step of the way. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If its an alignment issue call the seller and get it warrantied.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you can... Pull the pulley and make sure the spacer is there. Sometimes it sticks in the pulley, but if you whack it on a board or semi solid surface it will normally pop out.

If no spacer is there, somebody somewhere screwed up.

The reason the spacer is even there is beyond me, but given the shop that did the original prototyping...
Sprintex was supposed to correct the problem by doing a redesign of the front housing, but probably never did. I still dont know why they just didnt machine the pulleys at a shallower depth. But hey, Im no mechanical engineer and Im not the one who supposedly spent $250K on development on a S/C kit for a minor market car.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Given the design of the front housing, if it's out of alignment the way you say, it almost has to be that the spacer that dicks mentioned is missing, because of the way it all mounts to the engine, there is virtually no way the unit itself can be out of alignment, like that.

Also, if this is the problem as we suspect, go back to the original belt, the shorter belt may compress the tensioner piston too much & shorten it's lifespan.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 01-17-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
racerx999
1st Gear
Checking in for the new year.

Hi Gang !,
Welcome to the new Sprintex owners. I am just checking in to update my experience. My Mynes remote tune for the 550cc injectors and 60mm pulley is finally complete. I will soon be posting an in depth report with dyno results about my Sprintex journey. The abridged report is this. I am very happy with the Sprintex with near 3500 miles logged. The install is not for the faint of heart or novice. I feel I am an experienced home mechanic and the install was a challenge. I had the same issue someone posted earlier with the water pump not sealing and coolant leak. I went to a different O ring and it fixed the issue. Not fun to keep pulling the car down to maint. Mode. The Mynes remote tune was a good deal. They worked with me for almost 5 weeks and I made over 100 WOT logs they gave me 17 different tunes to load until we had the perfect tune.
I did a pre Sprintex base line dyno session with a 15% pulley and stock Eaton SC with all the basic mods. My base was 205WHP . I did another dyno session on the same dyno when my tune was near completion and got 285 WHP with 19.8 psi boost at 7200 rpm. The Sprintex w/60mm pulley ,550 injectors and Bytronik tune netted me 80 WHP. I am going to do one more dyno session to confirm the completed tune results and compile an in depth report and list all my mods and dyno numbers. So far I couldn't be happier with the results and the performance. Hope winter passes fast. Not happy with 12 degree highs we are having here in Indiana. Godd luck to all with your Sprintex's and your Mini's

2005 MCS Sprintex/60mm. 550inj. MYNES remote tune. GP I/C. DDM divertor, Alta cat back. Craven CAI, DT BPV, MSD coil. Plugs supplied by Mynes. BSH catch can, K-sport coil overs, H-sport 25mm rear sway bar. Megan short shifter with Helix bottom, M-7 strut brace,M-7 aerogel heat shield,Magnecor plug wires, Craven boost/oil pressure gage kit.. 285WHP 245tq. 19.885 psi boost.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Those are great numbers for a car w/stock head.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
FA-Lite with CRM

Racerx: Good to hear that we are all dialed in for your MINI... Now it's time to enjoy your mini.

For others reading this thread, just a clarification:
  • Racerx999 has the FA-Lite Tuning Kit ($450) with the CRM (Custom Remote Mapping) service ($300 per one set up). In order for us to perform this CRM service, customer must have a compatible AFR gauge (Innovate MTX-L or the DB Gauge Kit) with the serial patch cable (typically $200 for the AFR set up).
  • We also sell the FA53 Kit, which allows your tuner (or yourself if you're knowledgeable in the art of ecu tuning) to tune your own MINI , priced at $750
  • But at Bytetronik, all of our CRM service is out-sourced to the tuners at Mynes Tuning.
    1) If you're in the UK, you can contact 1320MINI to have the CRM service done by them.
    2) If you're in Greece, you can contact GPR and he will get it done for you.
When it comes to FA Tuning Kits, you have many options... but our CRM service is done exclusively by Mynes...

Old 01-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Minian
5th Gear
Hello all
I can't wait to be added to the list. I have the latest version of the Sprintex w/69mm coming in a week or two from down under. After a long an agonizing wait I took the plunge and also ordered a TPR2, Cam, ACG, PP intake manifold, GPIC, FA-Lite Tune Kit, B550cc injectors, AFR Kit, CRM, NGK cooler plugs, 64mm pulley, New Struts, Megan Roll center adjustment spacers, and a rear seat delete kit. My question? What's missing and should I use the OEM o-rings rather than the new ones? I'm being told I shouldn't have any issues with this version. Having said that, I've read this whole thread and to me this is a good kit, but not perfected yet. I thank all of you who've posted your experiences allowing others to have an informed start.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:42 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Personally I'm not up on any changes in the kit, so really can't comment on anything about it, but from my experience with it, if they offer you a replacement part (o-ring, gasket, etc.) USE IT, there are little things that they have worked out that may not seem too obvious to you. Even the fist kits, like mine, were pretty well thought out.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Minian
5th Gear
The only change to the Sprintex may be the proper fitting o-ring.
Once I get the kit I'll post, until then I'll learn.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain *the sprintex owners thread*