Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain *the sprintex owners thread*

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:02 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Possible, but often times the larger throttle body's are a modified stock one and can sometimes have problems.
Id stay away from it till you get everything else running right then tinker.
It could be a boon though.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the GTT 64mm T-body on mine and it worked good with the system. Not really sure it did much though, the inlet tube is still an odd shape and lots of kinks, but still a little better than stock. I still think that the overall odd shape is a limiting factor to get the amount of airflow you would need to see any significant results.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:43 AM
03EmCeeS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any thoughts as to whether the larger throttle body could be used for increased boost levels?

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 255 Likes on 191 Posts
I will probably never know why I was seeing slightly higher boost levels, but I had also said that with the 69mm pulley, and I really don't have much info on comparisons with the other pulleys. But as far as factoring in cost-vs-gain I think that is where you have to look, and in that area I don't think it would really be worth while as an actual performance mod, there again thats figuring paying full price for one, and changing it just for that reason, if you could get a good deal on one or yours went bad, then it might be worth a try.

My Dinan is only 2mm larger or so and was $400.00 I'd have to see a pretty significant drop going back to stock in order to justify doing it again if this one went bad.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
03EmCeeS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BlwnAway
I will probably never know why I was seeing slightly higher boost levels, but I had also said that with the 69mm pulley, and I really don't have much info on comparisons with the other pulleys. But as far as factoring in cost-vs-gain I think that is where you have to look, and in that area I don't think it would really be worth while as an actual performance mod, there again thats figuring paying full price for one, and changing it just for that reason, if you could get a good deal on one or yours went bad, then it might be worth a try.

My Dinan is only 2mm larger or so and was $400.00 I'd have to see a pretty significant drop going back to stock in order to justify doing it again if this one went bad.
Cost vs benefit would have been the determining factor in whether I bought one or not. I really never considered actually buying one, as it did not seem like the throttle body was the point of issue. It just seemed like an interesting piece to discuss after seeing your comments on the somewhat-inexplicable increase in boost. The cost vs benefit is the same battle I'm fighting when looking at the GP intercooler. I'm leaning towards just go for it. There's got to be a way to have the system set up better though.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
The only way would be to move the water pump somewhere else, and plumb an entirely new intake system with round piping not the smashed up thing that comes stock or with the sprintex.

If you where going through the trouble of that though why even go with a modified stock body... You could adapt one from another car. VW uses VDO based equipment and they have T-bodies bigger than 75mm, that would really flow some air! The stock ECU would be giving you some fits with a setup like that though, but there are standalones for that now.

Even then you would have that whole topmount IC and spiraling intake tract post SC causing restrictions.

In order to see gains, size able ones anyhow you are talking major bucks to upgrade to see them.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:05 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
I always say start with the biggest one you've got. If for nothing else the break in, and ease of getting the tune done a little at a time.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
If I remember correctly, anymore than 7200 w/ the 60 & your overdriving the S/C, so bare that in mind with your pulley choice.

Another way to make sure you're not over doing things is to check your IAT pre-I/C, now that I've added my 1st sensor in the pre-I/C horn I can tell you that I'm seeing temps just over 225*f, under WOT boost (19.5) and in the 180's to 190's at cruise, w/ the 60mm.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 PM
racerx999
1st Gear
Bytronik logging help

I am running intial logs for the guys at Byetronik to do a remote tune for my 05 MCS with Sprintex and 60mm pulley. I have 380cc injectors current and they are having me make logs so they can make a base tune so I can install the 550cc injectors. Here is my problem. One of the logs they need is a 3rd gear WOT to redline. I am to let off if the AFR gauge goes higher than 12.6. When I do the run I see boost build on my in cockpit boost gauge up to near 20psi at approx 4800rpm as I saw the AFR reading go to 13 I let off the throttle. should be no problem. The problem is when viewing the actual log made during the run what is recorded on the map psi column shows at 17 psi the " map psi" drops to 11 psi and remains steady there to end of run when the boost gauge was actually showing near 20psi the entire time. Why would the boost gauge read different than what the ecu is recording ? The first log I ran I wasn't paying atention to the boost gauge and when I viewed the logs seeing the boost fall off after 17psi thought I had a vacuum/boost line leak. I checked all lines and connections. I ran the second run and watched the boost guage the entire time and never lost boost, but the ecu thinks the boost drops to 11psi soon as 17psi is attained.
I hope I am explaining this well enough. Any ideas or suggestions ? Feel frr to call if you want . Jim 812-572-2504

Old 12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Jim, got your message, trying to come up with a logical reason for this, I'll get with you tomorrow.

But....do you have access to a different boost gauge?, the 17 to 11psi your logs are showings almost sounds like it could be belt slip, only thing is with that much of a loss, you should really feel it in the loss of power.....?

Last edited by BlwnAway; 12-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
racerx999
1st Gear
Sprintex update

Hi, To update my ongoing sprintex /60mm tuning experience. I am working with Mynes and having them do a remote tune. I have gotten past a few little issues that were taken care of with the tune. I have now installed the 550cc injectors supplied by Mynes and am flashing different tunes in as they read the logs I send them. I finally got a 3rd gear WOT to 7000 rpm redline log run while the AFR remained in a safe range. The boost logged is 19.6 psi at the highest. I am waiting for them to read my most recent logs and tell me what is next. So far the process has been straight forward and the Mynes guys have been very helpful with me. My computer skills are a weak area. I am looking forward to having the tune completed and then doing a dyno session to compare my pre sprintex numbers to my current setup. I ran 205whp/187 tq with my mods and the stock eaton with a 15% pulley 380cc jcw injectors and an autologic canned tune. All the standard mods present. I am hoping to see at least 220whp using the same dyno maybe more. I am driving the car daily during the process.

2005 MCS, 54K miles, sprintex/60mm. Craven CAI,Alta catback, FA-lite,Mynes tuned,Detroit tuned BPV,BSH catch can,MSD coil, Bosch 550cc 52lb injectors,NGK iridium plugs BKR8EIX,M-7 heat shield, GP I/C ,DDM diverter, Coilovers, M-7 strut brace, H-sport 25mm rear sway bar,Alta lower control arms. Boost gauge,oil pressure gauge and AFR gauge.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts
racerx: thanks for supporting the FA-LITE product. Our CRM process requires a lot of owner-participation and you are doing a great job

Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sprintex on a near-stock MCS?

Hi experts:

Most, if not all of you Sprintex owners have also done what I'd consider to be extensive mods such as cam/head/injectors, etc. Are there any Sprintex owners with more "conservative" mods?

My MCS is bolt-on modded, with no work done to internals, or even injectors. But should my stock Eaton supercharger w/15% pulley sh*t the bed someday, I've considered getting a Sprintex instead...

Has anyone ever done this mod on a MCS with similar, minimal mods as mine, (see my signature below)? Asked another way, can this realistically be added to an MCS without necessarily having to have a new cam/head and possibly even injectors, and still have it show increased performance over the stock Eaton blower w/15% pulley mod?

Sprintex claims on their website that it is "Suitable for a standard vehicle without the need for any additional upgrades".

Are they over-promising, or is that actually true, in your experience?

Look, I definitely know that it wouldn't be ideal, and that obviously it'd be much better to also have these other more serious mods already done to my car first, but I'm more curious about Sprintex's claim that it can be done on a stock MCS. I want to know if any of you have done this, and what "delta" in horsepower and torque was the result of just the blower swap only.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Your council is much appreciated.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:39 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
As far as using it on a stock motor there are no problems, the kit itself, as is, was designed to be a straight replacement option for the M45, not really a performance mod, and in reality I think there are more S/C's actually on "non-BVH" motors than anything else, thing is, a lot of these people are non-posters, so you just don't read about them. Basiclly us "Power Hungry" were just the first that were willing to shell out the bucks to give it a try, early on.

As far as the #'s are concerned, stock M45-vs-stock Sprintex, the only thing I could do would be to look up the original test #'s, since I've only worked with a BVH car. Someone else will chime in about that, but as I stated in the other thread, if you're thinking about one, M45 rebuild/replacement time is the best time to really consider it from stricktly a financial standpoint.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 AM
racerx999
1st Gear
Sprintex/ Mynes tuning Update

Hi all,
I have been working with Mynes to get my 05 MCS tuned with the Sprintex running a 60mm pulley and 550cc injectors. The car has all the normal mods but I am running the stock head and cam. I ran a dyno session before the addition of the Sprintex. With the Mods I had the stock eaton w/15% pulley (15psi boost) the base line numbers were 205WHP/185tq. I added the Sprintex w/60mm pulley,550cc injectors,colder plugs and Mynes remote tuning. (Mynes is still finishing the tune) I ran some pulls on the same Dyno yesterday and the numbers were 285.1 WHP/245tq. They set the dyno 300rpm lower than your rev limit. Mine is set at 7000 rpm. , so the Dyno recorded to 6589 rpm and the WHP was still climbing. See the attached graphs. I will run one more session on the same dyno after Mynes tells me the tune is finished.

05 MCS 54k miles. Craven CAI, ALta catback, MSD coil, BSH catch can, GP I/C w/DDM diverter, Detriot tuned BPV, Sprintex S/C w 60mm, 550cc injectors, Mynes tuned, M-7 strut bar, M-7 aerogel Heat shield, K-sport coilovers,Altla lower control arms, Megan short shifter, H-sport 25mm rear sway bar, currently 285WHP/245 tq.(19.8 psi boost) Increase of 80 WHP since addition of Sprintex S/C, 550cc injectors and Mynes tune.

Attached Thumbnails *the sprintex owners thread*-after-sprintex-dyno-graph-05-mcs.jpg   *the sprintex owners thread*-after-sprintex-dyno-numbers-05-mcs.jpg   *the sprintex owners thread*-jims-285whp-mini.jpg  
Old 12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Whoa, nice numbers, racerx999!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work! I need to hit you up one weekend and check it out.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
racerx999
With all due respect those numbers seam to be too good to be true with a stock head, cam, header. Your setup prior to the sprintex seems feasable with a tune but I am having trouble seeing a increase of 80whp and 60 ft/lbs of torque with 5 lbs of boost. Especially at 6589 rpm.
I am sure that it is fun though, enjoy.
Steve

Originally Posted by racerx999
Hi all,
I have been working with Mynes to get my 05 MCS tuned with the Sprintex running a 60mm pulley and 550cc injectors. The car has all the normal mods but I am running the stock head and cam. I ran a dyno session before the addition of the Sprintex. With the Mods I had the stock eaton w/15% pulley (15psi boost) the base line numbers were 205WHP/185tq. I added the Sprintex w/60mm pulley,550cc injectors,colder plugs and Mynes remote tuning. (Mynes is still finishing the tune) I ran some pulls on the same Dyno yesterday and the numbers were 285.1 WHP/245tq. They set the dyno 300rpm lower than your rev limit. Mine is set at 7000 rpm. , so the Dyno recorded to 6589 rpm and the WHP was still climbing. See the attached graphs. I will run one more session on the same dyno after Mynes tells me the tune is finished.

05 MCS 54k miles. Craven CAI, ALta catback, MSD coil, BSH catch can, GP I/C w/DDM diverter, Detriot tuned BPV, Sprintex S/C w 60mm, 550cc injectors, Mynes tuned, M-7 strut bar, M-7 aerogel Heat shield, K-sport coilovers,Altla lower control arms, Megan short shifter, H-sport 25mm rear sway bar, currently 285WHP/245 tq.(19.8 psi boost) Increase of 80 WHP since addition of Sprintex S/C, 550cc injectors and Mynes tune.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Racer would have to chime in himself on the exacts, but don't forget, it wasn't just 5lb's of boost, it was 5lbs of boost, injectors & a tune, I've seen tunes alone net 30+ at tune parties. I'd have to go back & look again but I think I was net'ing approx 10whp per lb, on my pulley swaps.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by racerx999
Hi all,

RacerX: those are good numbers, but the bottom line is that you now have a car that you can enjoy more. With the FA53 and FA-Lite tuning kits, you have a lot of options on tuning, and we have sold our kits to shops/tuners around the world. What sets the FA kit apart from other 'map loading modules' is the Data-Logging abilities; this feature coupled with the Innovate AFR logging on FA really provides remote tuners the info that they need to fine tune your MINI. And the Mynes guy understands these cars and ECUs better than most.

Thanks for supporting FA

Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Bytetronik
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by THE ITCH
racerx999
With all due respect those numbers seam to be too good to be true with a stock head, cam, header. Your setup prior to the sprintex seems feasable with a tune but I am having trouble seeing a increase of 80whp and 60 ft/lbs of torque with 5 lbs of boost. Especially at 6589 rpm.
I am sure that it is fun though, enjoy.
Steve
Just to put things in perspective on WHP #s for your reference (all #'s based on the Dynojet dyno):
1) Stock R53 on 91 octane = 150 - 160 whp
2) Sprintex Stage I (69mm) = ~200whp (91 octane)
3) Sprintex Stage II (60mm) with mods = 230~235whp (91 octane)
With Thumper TPR1 head, MM cam, 550cc, FA53 with Mynes tune, Ported Intake Manifold, GP IC, Mynes V2 header, Sprintex 60mm

4) Sprintex Stage III Plus = 270 ~280 whp (with a whole bunch of mods)
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...44-post40.html

So from 1 to 4, the delta is 120whp. +40whp from the Sprintex is not unheard of, and +20 to 30HP from a good tune with injectors are quite common also... but that last 40 extra HP is going to cost a lot more $$$ to extrac (the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play here ).

Last edited by Bytetronik; 12-20-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: fixing a broken link.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM
miles_miles7
5th Gear
Rock on Mynes

Old 12-19-2012, 07:49 PM
HeavyMetal
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bytetronik
Just to put things in perspective on WHP #s for your reference (all #'s based on the Dynojet dyno):
With Thumper TPR1 head, MM cam, 550cc, FA53 with Mynes tune, Ported Intake Manifold, GP IC, Mynes V2 header, Sprintex 60mm

Stock R53 on 91 octane = 150 - 160 whp

So from 1 to 4, the delta is 120whp. +40whp from the Sprintex is not unheard of, and +20 to 30HP from a good tune with injectors are quite common also... but that last 40 extra HP is going to cost a lot more $$$ to extrac (the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play here ).
First of all, I don't have any intentions to be mean but... I would like to see what is the torque gain. Can you provide this information?

We all know HP sells cars and performance parts but Torque wins race (ie: electric car like the Tesla Roadster doesn't have alot of HP but instant full torque (alot!) at 0RPM. The 0-60, the 1/4mile and 45-75 are very impressive)

Old 12-20-2012, 01:14 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
but that last 40 extra HP is going to cost a lot more $$$ to extrac (the Law of Diminishing Returns comes into play here ).
Haa, Haa, ain't that the truth.....

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM
rs53
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock R53 on 91 octane = 150 - 160 whp

I have been looking to get a sprintex for my car but am confused by your post. Are you saying 80whp is not a realistic gain with stock parts?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain *the sprintex owners thread*