Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain FMIC or AP

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FMIC or AP

I know it's been brought up before, but I'm still undecided on the issue.

Basically I just bought my '07 S a few months ago and thus far have only bought some summer wheels and rubber for it. Now that the weather is getting nicer (and before the Le Mans series is at Limerock Park, CT) I would like to either get a FMIC or an Alta AP.

I definitely can't afford to do both this summer (teacher's salary) so I'm debating what to do first....otherwise I would tune after the IC. I feel the intercooler will be better for the longevity of my turbo/engine but the AP would hands-down be the best $$ spent for performance.

Can the AP hurt my engine in the long run running just a stage 1 tune stock?

Opinions/thoughts?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are all going to be personal opinion. I don't think you will find any conclusive evidence either way that the Tune over-stresses these engines; or is just fine. Anecdotally - there are plenty of people who have been running tunes for years with no problems - including on cars that are still under warranty....

The IC is really best to deal with heat-soak. So unless you live in an extremely hot climate that would essentially de-tune your car - my vote would be for the AP / RMW Tune. You won't be able to wipe the grin off your face.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Start with the Forge Intercooler, it will give you gains now and work even better when you get your tune, plus tuning is always developing, the intercooler is already a solid part.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Zephyrgtw
These are all going to be personal opinion. I don't think you will find any conclusive evidence either way that the Tune over-stresses these engines; or is just fine. Anecdotally - there are plenty of people who have been running tunes for years with no problems - including on cars that are still under warranty....

The IC is really best to deal with heat-soak. So unless you live in an extremely hot climate that would essentially de-tune your car - my vote would be for the AP / RMW Tune. You won't be able to wipe the grin off your face.
Have you ever hooked a Scan gauge to the car with the stock IC? heat soak is an issue ALL the time, especially if you track the car. What the point of a Alta tune, if after 1 min on the track the intake temp is so high that the computer starts pulling timing?

If you can only afford 1, get an intercooler. I would bet that with track time, a stock tune with IC is making more power than a Alta tune with a stock IC.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:39 AM
teamrubixcube
4th Gear
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm definitely leaning towards intercooler. I don't plan on tracking my car really, just for street fun and going to WATCH races. Forge or Helix? I think those are the two that fit best...any benefits of one over the other?

One last question: If I am just using it for around town transportation, would my loss in boost pressure mean I lose power? Or is it the case that since it is a cooler temp I get better flow and even though the boost is down the engine actually gains? Thanks again guys.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got Alta, it's less expensive and works well.

An IC will help in every way, every day. You actually shouldn't see a loss of boost.

And yes, cooler is better as is more flow.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
Forge or Helix? I think those are the two that fit best...any benefits of one over the other?
As Zephyrgtw said, this is going to be personal opinion all the way. If you were to ask me, performance-wise between Alta, Forge, or Helix, you can't really go wrong with any one of them. Each will give you some nice gains in any situation. Regarding the differences between the three, those have to do with the way they are installed and mounted more then anything else.

If you were to go for the Alta, you'd be required to trim some plastic here and there. Also, from what I understand the IC is held on using the boost tubes and not much else. Personally, I wouldn't be super happy about that. The paranoid side of me would always be worried it'd fall off if I hit a particularly nasty speed bump or take a super hard turn. The trimming kind of turns me off too. That being said, plenty of people have been running this IC problem free for a long time, so it's possible my reservations are unfounded.

As far as the Helix, you won't be required to do any trimming and if you're able to get in on one of their many group buys you'll be able to snag one for a good deal. It is, however, held on using the boost tubes much like the Alta. If that doesn't bother you, maybe you'd want to look at a Helix since people around here seem to love them.

Finally the Forge. This IC is installed and held on using both the factory IC mounting points and also by the boost tubes. They also provide a replacement lower grill, so that's another plus. If you're paranoid like I am, this is probably what you should be looking at .

Sorry for the long essay, but hopefully this answers your questions

Old 05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
Have you ever hooked a Scan gauge to the car with the stock IC? heat soak is an issue ALL the time, especially if you track the car. What the point of a Alta tune, if after 1 min on the track the intake temp is so high that the computer starts pulling timing?

If you can only afford 1, get an intercooler. I would bet that with track time, a stock tune with IC is making more power than a Alta tune with a stock IC.
I'll give you that

For me though - 95%+ of my driving in on public roads. I did the Tune first; IC later. With just the Tune and no IC: I never noticed heat-soak nor had a lack of boos/power. Whenever I wanted it - it was there in abundance. I probably looked like an idiot some times speading up and slowing down (but really didn't want to earn any tickets )

Either way - modding these cars is a blast. Either of the two will be fun.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The forge intercooler is an inferior copy of our intercooler, which has features and performance that the forge doesn't, including cast end tanks and bull-nosed bars, both on the ambient face and inside the tanks. You can read more about it here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...group-buy.html

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 AM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Wait, is that a pic of one of the brand new units? Stick that puppy back in its box and put her on a truck. I've been waiting for that cooler since December!

I got a tune before the IC but if I did it over again I would have gotten the IC first. When Jan tuned my car it was hard for him to get solid dyno runs because it was so wicked hot that day (summer time in L.A.). As soon as I saw the Helix group buy I jumped all over it.

Last edited by silhouette88; 05-11-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM
dwebber18
3rd Gear
I have both of these items on my to get list, but its definitely intercooler first and then get the tune that corresponds to it. I think it would be best that way.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
I agree with silhouette. I got the tune before I ordered my Helix (on the group buy as well), but knowing what I know now I'd get the FMIC first if I had to do it over again. The engine will always get hot and summer happens pretty much everywhere so the FMIC will always help.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
*Sneak Hint*

We will begin calling and shipping tomorrow (in the order of paid deposits).

Old 05-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@Helix13mini

Will there be another group buy? I PM about the backup list but I guess that is not happening right?!

Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM
silhouette88
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
*Sneak Hint*

x 1,000,000 Excellent news!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by teamrubixcube
Opinions/thoughts?
i purchased an alta fmic a couple of weeks ago but have been holding off on installing it for a couple of reasons. first off, i want to get the garmin with the bluetooth obd2 adapter so that i can get some before and after readings for the fmic. secondly, i want to install an oil catch can so that the new fmic doesn't pick up any of that gunk that is evacuated through the pcv. the problem is, no one has given a definitive answer about installing the oil catch can on a 2011 n18 engine. as soon as we get some information about that, i will likely buy/install the oil catch can.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:01 PM
sooper_cooper
5th Gear
*Sneak Hint*

Great news! I paid my deposit immediately!

Old 05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
*Sneak Hint*

Will you notify with tracking #'s as well? Paid in full 03/31/11.
A rare stroke of luck .

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Maugre
Will you notify with tracking #'s as well? Paid in full 03/31/11.
A rare stroke of luck .
Yessir

Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Maugre
5th Gear
Thanks Ralph you made my day .