Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans: BSH vs. M7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Catch Cans: BSH vs. M7?

I'm going to be buying and installing an oil catch can on my R56. I've narrowed it down to BSH vs. M7. Which one do you recommend and why?

I have a stock intake and I'm not any kind of mechanical genious, so cutting hoses and the warning that it's designed for people who have an aftermarket intake on the M7 is a little daunting. On the other hand, the BSH instructions were one very short page with horrible photos and no captions or explanations, so being a relative noob wrencher, I'm a little intimidated there too. I've heard good things about the BSH, though. Just need some input to nudge me one way or the other.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:18 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We have really liked the BSH catch can, the baffle in the can makes the can collect oil much better, and fitting for the hoses are top notch. I keep them in stock cause we use them on customer cars all the time.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd go with BSH. The m7 one isn't baffled on the inside, and the connections aren't as good. The BSH has really nice connections that pretty much look stock and the m7 uses some ugly spring clamp things. Although the BSH can doesn't look as good I think it's a way better product for only a little more money.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Here is a real good thread here discussing the BSH catch can.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-install.html

They say that if you add the BSH dual boost port and use the supplied plug, it will force all the oil vapors through the catch can and negate the need for two catch cans.

Dave

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Maugre
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the BSH and dual boost tap. The BSH catch cans also now come with a dipstick. Very good quality. Honestly not that hard to install, I didn't get any instructions with mine, but managed to install it by looking at some of the threads in this forum. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Here is a real good thread here discussing the BSH catch can.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-install.html

They say that if you add the BSH dual boost port and use the supplied plug, it will force all the oil vapors through the catch can and negate the need for two catch cans.

Dave
I saw that one, and you're right, it is a very informative thread. Unfortunately I can't use the direct dual boost tap as it alters the PCV system. I autocross and the class I'm in doesn't allow alteration of the PCV.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Maugre
+1 on the BSH and dual boost tap. The BSH catch cans also now come with a dipstick. Very good quality. Honestly not that hard to install, I didn't get any instructions with mine, but managed to install it by looking at some of the threads in this forum. Good luck.
After seeing these responses and talking to a few people myself, it seems like the unanimous decision is the BSH. And ironically enough, using the M7 instructions, I think I can figure out how to do teh BSH install.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We have really liked the BSH catch can, the baffle in the can makes the can collect oil much better, and fitting for the hoses are top notch. I keep them in stock cause we use them on customer cars all the time.
Funny, I was on your site today looking for a lug-bolt-to-lug-nut conversion and I saw you sell the BSH. I think I'm sold.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by koitus
After seeing these responses and talking to a few people myself, it seems like the unanimous decision is the BSH. And ironically enough, using the M7 instructions, I think I can figure out how to do teh BSH install.
If you have any install questions or run into any problems let us know .

Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM
koitus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
If you have any install questions or run into any problems let us know .
Much appreciated!

Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 PM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for the ppl with a DOS intake, where did you guys get the extra hose to fit the BSH can?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:23 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
I have probably emptied about 20+ ounces of JUNK from my BSH can since installing. I cannot recommend a catch can enough. It blows my mind to see the stuff that this thing catch that typically gets circulated into the intake side of the motor (and we all know the problem direct inject poses with this). Order a BSH one asap....they are great.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
During the cold months check it more often. I get about .25 cup of nasty stuff out of mine every 5-7 days. I would put the dual boost tap on and when you run Autox take it off as it takes 2-3 minutes to remove and install. For the peace of mind, it is well worth it!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone installed a catch can on a 2011 MCS?

Old 12-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by oldcracker
for the ppl with a DOS intake, where did you guys get the extra hose to fit the BSH can?
You can get extra hose from your local auto parts store. (I've even seen it at Lowes and Home Depot sometimes too). They sell it by the foot. I'd measure the inner diameter and bring a sample of the hose with you. You're just looking for fiber reinforced and oil resistant hose for fuel line or coolant applications.

If you'd rather go the mail order route, you can find the hose at McMaster-Carr, Summit Racing, or from Vibrant (I think that Vibrant is up in Canada, actually).

Hope this helps.

-Clint

Old 12-21-2010, 10:02 AM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
noob question: does installing a catch can void the warranty?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
I just had warranty work done and they did not say a thing about the OCC or the Dual boost tap installed so I would venture to say no.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by VMCMDN
noob question: does installing a catch can void the warranty?
A catch can will not void your warranty, but warranty service may be denied if they can trace the cause back to the catch can.

This may be a good read.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:32 AM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
You can get extra hose from your local auto parts store. (I've even seen it at Lowes and Home Depot sometimes too). They sell it by the foot. I'd measure the inner diameter and bring a sample of the hose with you. You're just looking for fiber reinforced and oil resistant hose for fuel line or coolant applications.

If you'd rather go the mail order route, you can find the hose at McMaster-Carr, Summit Racing, or from Vibrant (I think that Vibrant is up in Canada, actually).

Hope this helps.

-Clint
thanks Clint!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fishbert
A catch can will not void your warranty, but warranty service may be denied if they can trace the cause back to the catch can.

This may be a good read.
Damn fine print!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with BSH for baffling & the dipstick option.

That said, they don't really want to sell the dipstick option because it's a custom build. My order took 4 weeks to ship & the owner said they weren't going to sell R53 cans soon because nobody's buying them.

The stainless steel bracket for the R53 & install picture on their website must be for an early model R53 because it wouldn't work on my 2006 car.

I drilled 2 holes opposite the coolant resevoir in the plastic wall that isolates the ABS system. I then used the 2 provided allen bolts & washers to mount the catch can inside the ABS cavity. It's easy to remove for cleaning & it looks OEM.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:48 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bahawton
... the owner said they weren't going to sell R53 cans soon because nobody's buying them.
The R53 isn't direct-injection, though, is it?
If not, it's not subject to the intake valve carbon buildup issues that so many are buying these cans to mitigate.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I realize this is an R56 thread & R53's don't have the same direct injection problems but the OCC still keeps blow-by from coating our intercoolers.

I just gave my $.02 because I didn't find out about the dip stick problem 'till after 4 weeks of calling every other day asking what happened to my order.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 PM
fishbert
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bahawton
I realize this is an R56 thread & R53's don't have the same direct injection problems but the OCC still keeps blow-by from coating our intercoolers.
Right, right… I was just saying that the market for catch cans seems to primarily be people worried about valve buildup. Intercooler sludge, while still a concern, doesn't seem to be the primary focus of people looking for cans.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to add a question, does anybody know how the Alta OCC stacks up?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Oil Catch Cans: BSH vs. M7?