Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
cmross13
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
You can run a stage 3 tune with a catless downpipe, a 2.5" catless exhaust, an inter cooler, and an intake. That is what has been talked about here numerous times...
right, but what i dont understand is why Alta chose to provide dyno numbers for the AP with their intercooler and the exhaust, despite the fact that they advertise their own intake as a 10whp gain. if they had a car to dyno, and the parts laying around to produce dyno numbers, why not just slap on an intake and boost tube to show "full bolt-on" power increases?

[edit]: this is what leads me to believe that perhaps the numbers they are providing are, in fact, inflated. perhaps with some sort of intake, and maybe even their own boost tube(another claimed 10whp/10wtq) installed

furthermore, i'm baffled at how you personally only got 200/220, unless there is a major fuel quality or elevation difference. a dynapack shouldnt read THAT much higher, especially only on the torque figures.

i am still impressed with the 50hp/50tq gains tho lol

Last edited by cmross13; 10-15-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: misplaced a sentance lol
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Alta has said, in earlier posts in this thread, that a stage 3 tune can be used with their high flow, flat panel, drop in air filter, an oversize intercooler, a 2 1/2" catless down pipe and a 2 1/2" catless exhaust.

Most high flow air intakes only make more noise and at worse reduce power. The stock MINI air intake is already a very good cold air intake.

Dave

Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
cmross13
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave
Alta has said, in earlier posts in this thread, that a stage 3 tune can be used with their high flow, flat panel, drop in air filter, an oversize intercooler, a 2 1/2" catless down pipe and a 2 1/2" catless exhaust.

Most high flow air intakes only make more noise and at worse reduce power. The stock MINI air intake is already a very good cold air intake.

Dave
Admittedly, I was impatient and didn't read through the whole thing.

However, I did speak with someone at Alta moments ago and the tech confirmed that while their dyno results are in fact with their drop-in air filter, the AP would indeed compensate for a freer flowing exhaust and intake, thus further increasing power.

Thanks to everyone who replied

Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cmross13
right, but what i dont understand is why Alta chose to provide dyno numbers for the AP with their intercooler and the exhaust, despite the fact that they advertise their own intake as a 10whp gain. if they had a car to dyno, and the parts laying around to produce dyno numbers, why not just slap on an intake and boost tube to show "full bolt-on" power increases?

[edit]: this is what leads me to believe that perhaps the numbers they are providing are, in fact, inflated. perhaps with some sort of intake, and maybe even their own boost tube(another claimed 10whp/10wtq) installed

furthermore, i'm baffled at how you personally only got 200/220, unless there is a major fuel quality or elevation difference. a dynapack shouldnt read THAT much higher, especially only on the torque figures.

i am still impressed with the 50hp/50tq gains tho lol
Because that is their parts. Also an intake will not net you that much power. Never ever will. Also I am pretty sure I could have gotten higher had I not had boost cut issues. They did my run in 3rd gear which is not the full power gear in the MINI. 4th gear is what you want to dyno in our car. They boost cutted on 2 of the 3 runs until they went and did a 3rd gear pull.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 PM
NY_R56
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beau M
I don't want to read through 113 pages to find an answer, so I will ask. Can the access port fix the issues with the "lazy" gas pedals on the automatics? I tried the D1 spec throttle controller, but it didn't fix the delay between pushing the gas pedal and the car starting to move. It's driving me nuts, dealer says its normal.
I have a 07 MCSa and it works wonders. Usually I have to push sport mode to make the throttle more sensitive, but it still wasn't enough.
Now after the accessport I almost never use the sport button, I think it feels a bit too sensitive with sport on. I never knew how much throttle lag it had until I put it back to stock map a few day later because I was curious.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with NYR56, I rarely use my Sport Button now after I installed the AP. I've had the AP for about 2 weeks now and I love it. I notice myself burning through gas alot quicker, but I think that's because I have a lead foot.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM
MINIutia
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an Alta Billet Turbo and Stage4 tuning. If you keep your foot out of it, these tunes generate phenomenal mileage. I'm seeing 30.0 average, that's with no less than 60% city in SoCal traffic.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MINIutia
I've got an Alta Billet Turbo and Stage4 tuning. If you keep your foot out of it, these tunes generate phenomenal mileage. I'm seeing 30.0 average, that's with no less than 60% city in SoCal traffic.
I was seeing higher but Cali's **** gas and traffic is dropping my avg.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Richieb0y28
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Before the AP, I averaged 26-27 around town. My commute doesn't involve highways, so I never get to test highway mileage. With the Stage 1, I'm seeing ~25. I need to get through the first phase of excitement so I can get back to my normal driving habits.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
I have a Stage 1 Alta tune...

And I'm getting about 32-35 mpg on the hwy at approx. 75-80 mph, pretty good in my book. And the hp/torque is noticeably higher than stock. This is the most cost-effective way to get REAL hp/torque improvements...

-RW-

Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
What about their new 3" JCW exhaust and Akrapovic DP, Stage 3 or 2?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mcmmotorsports
what about their new 3" jcw exhaust and akrapovic dp, stage 3 or 2?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:50 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcmmotorsports
What about their new 3" JCW exhaust and Akrapovic DP, Stage 3 or 2?
You would run stage 2 if you're running the factory intercooler. If you have an aftermarket intercooler installed too, then you can run stage 3!

Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Creeve
6th Gear
And Creeve, the reason I am asking about the limits of the tuning and fuel is this thread is about the tuner itself, the software designed around it, and its limitations. I don't need to ask about the limits of the turbo, but if I did, it would be in a turbo thread.
The tuning controls the fuel and the turbo. You are asking about the fuel limits as it relates to tuning, but the fuel limits aren't really a point to consider because you won't reach them on the stock turbo.

Since we're on that topic, and again, i'm not trying to be a smartass, but you cant simply claim that "the pistons fail above 21-22psi". 22psi on a 14b isn't quite the same as 22psi on a GT60.
Obviously CFM has a great deal to do with it as well. However most of the piston failures I have read about have been on stock or modified-stock turbos.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Great Buy on Alta AP

After following this thread for some time, I just purchased the AP. Just thought I'd pass along the great deal I got because it was the cheapest I found unless someone knows something cheaper. I paid $716.89 total - free shipping.

I bought it at www.minidynamics.com and used coupon code OCT10 for an extra 10% off. Coupon is only good till the end of the month. Receipt is attached.

Attached Thumbnails The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread-screen-shot-2012-10-19-at-1.02.57-pm.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
nemeth
2nd Gear
downloaded the mac software and it wont open. it just does nothing. before i burn my ****ing house down can some one help me out ??

Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nemeth
downloaded the mac software and it wont open. it just does nothing. before i burn my ****ing house down can some one help me out ??
Are you running Windows? lol. Sorry, I cant help you with mac other than to say redownload it and try again.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Jlobb2
2nd Gear
On OSX:

Open the APManager.dmg disk image, then drag the AccessPORT Manager icon to Applications.

Open Applications, then run AccessPORT Manager.

Not sure if this helps or not.

Last edited by Jlobb2; 10-20-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: removed extra characters
Old 10-20-2012, 07:25 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
What jlobb2 said!

If that doesn't work let me know.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:14 AM
dustint
2nd Gear
Ok, I've read about 50 pages of this thread and it looks like the answer to my question has changed at least once. So, I'm posting up here.

If an AP is used and the stock firmware is reflashed before you take it in for service, is there any chance the dealer will know?

Also, I understand there's no pop and burble on a '09 MCS. And I can have the sport button programmed for fuel economy in normal mode and power in sport mode.

Anything else I'm missing here?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 AM
fastrack1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nemeth
I had the same problem. Mine got stuck while updating firmware. Turns out that the AP really hates Mac. Their advice was to try to use a Windows machine if you can get your hands on one. Even advised against using a Mac machine running Windows platform through something like Parallels.

My new AP got so messed up in the process of trying to use the Mac machine that I have had to send it back to Cobb Tuning for reprogramming and firmware updates.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by dustint
Ok, I've read about 50 pages of this thread and it looks like the answer to my question has changed at least once. So, I'm posting up here.

If an AP is used and the stock firmware is reflashed before you take it in for service, is there any chance the dealer will know?

Also, I understand there's no pop and burble on a '09 MCS. And I can have the sport button programmed for fuel economy in normal mode and power in sport mode.

Anything else I'm missing here?
As long as the AccessPORT is uninstalled, the dealer shouldn't be able to see that it was reflashed. But BMW can see that it was reflashed if a copy of the ECU is sent to them. Usually this is only done if expensive warranty work is done.

We can make a map that can have close to stock boost levels in normal mode, and our normal ALTA high performance map in the sport mode. That's not a normal map that's preloaded on the AccessPORT though.

Originally Posted by fastrack1
I had the same problem. Mine got stuck while updating firmware. Turns out that the AP really hates Mac. Their advice was to try to use a Windows machine if you can get your hands on one. Even advised against using a Mac machine running Windows platform through something like Parallels.

My new AP got so messed up in the process of trying to use the Mac machine that I have had to send it back to Cobb Tuning for reprogramming and firmware updates.
The AP Manager works pretty well for me using a Mac. I'm not sure when you were using it, but it's been a lot better the last year or so.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
dustint
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
As long as the AccessPORT is uninstalled, the dealer shouldn't be able to see that it was reflashed. But BMW can see that it was reflashed if a copy of the ECU is sent to them. Usually this is only done if expensive warranty work is done.
Well, that's good to know. Can I buy a replacement ECU from a recycler and swap it? Is there a way to reflash it so BMW can't tell?

Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
You could purchase a new ECU, but it would have to be reprogrammed for your car and key.

There isn't a way right now that the ECU could be reset that BMW couldn't tell it was reflashed.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:21 PM
dustint
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA_Chris
You could purchase a new ECU, but it would have to be reprogrammed for your car and key.

There isn't a way right now that the ECU could be reset that BMW couldn't tell it was reflashed.
Well, I appreciate your being forthcoming with me about this. I'll have to carefully consider how to use one. I'd really like the performance boost.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Official ALTA AccessPORT Thread