Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Stock R56 airbox.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
min1984
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock R56 airbox.

Does anyone know where i could get the stock airbox for my 08 mcs ? The engine light came on so i would like to have my dealer check it out, but afraid they might deny my warranty cause of my DOS intake.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by min1984
Does anyone know where i could get the stock airbox for my 08 mcs ? The engine light came on so i would like to have my dealer check it out, but afraid they might deny my warranty cause of my DOS intake.
I saw one on Ebay for $130 the other day. It was one of those LONG buy it now auctions. Might still be there...

Old 04-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Two questions:

1) Do you have a scan tool?

2) If so, any idea what the ECU code is?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 PM
min1984
1st Gear
I dont have a scan tools and have no idea what the code is. It came on about about 2 weeks after i put in forge intercooler and 3 weeks after DoS intake. The funny thing is the light came on for 2 days and goes away on its own for 3 days. Now it is on again

Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
I dont have a scan tools and have no idea what the code is. It came on about about 2 weeks after i put in forge intercooler and 3 weeks after DoS intake. The funny thing is the light came on for 2 days and goes away on its own for 3 days. Now it is on again
I would check your clamps and connections. It could be that the code is related to something in the charge/intake air tract. If you don't have a 'cool' MINI dealer, they'll flag you on both the CAI and the intercooler in your file or blame the CEL on those parts (even though it may have nothing to do with said parts).

I'd check the codes yourself before you bring it in because pulling your bumper cover off again is no fun. Places like AutoZone and Pep Boys may allow you to rent a scanner just in case you want to check the code(s) yourself before involving the dealer/taking-off parts.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I think autozone will check the codes for you free of charge.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
advance auto parts will check the code for free too

Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Cool! That's great to know. Thanks guys!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IF the intake (or your other mods) caused the problem, don't you think it is fair that they deny warranty coverage?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:45 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
...If you don't have a 'cool' MINI dealer, they'll flag you on both the CAI and the intercooler in your file or blame the CEL on those parts (even though it may have nothing to do with said parts).
Hey Clint- in the Bay area, do you have any insight on local dealers that you'd call 'cool' enough to handle some light modifications?

I've been taking my car to EastBay MINI in Pleasanton without any hassle- but I've had nothing done to the car to raise any questions...yet.

-Josh

Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
IF the intake (or your other mods) caused the problem, don't you think it is fair that they deny warranty coverage?
Hopefully you're raising this point to have a productive conversation about aftermarket parts and are not simply writing this because you're bored on a Friday afternoon and want to pick on min1984.

I've never seen a correctly designed CAI throw a CEL unless the owner completely over oils a K&N or foam filter and this gets sucked into the MAF. Taking shop towels to the filter to soak-up the excess oil and then promptly spraying some MAF sensor cleaner though the MAF element will usually clear up this issue. Don't over-oil air filters, folks.

Intercoolers don't throw CEL's unless the intercooler itself has a leak in it, a leak in one of the intake hoses, or a loose hose clamp.

When correctly functioning and maintained, these types of parts don't cause downstream issues. However, because the car has been modified, the dealer has the right to deny warranty coverage. -- Those are the rules and they vary from dealership to dealership. It is a good idea to make nice with your service advisor/manager and know which rules your dealership plays by.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by joshknot
Hey Clint- in the Bay area, do you have any insight on local dealers that you'd call 'cool' enough to handle some light modifications?

I've been taking my car to EastBay MINI in Pleasanton without any hassle- but I've had nothing done to the car to raise any questions...yet.

-Josh
Most service managers at dealerships are very straightforward with the dealership's policy on aftermarket parts. MINI of SF has been pretty nice to me and customers thus far, but I know that they do have their limits.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
sounds like your in Cali?... if you were local you could borrow mine. Im sure there are people out there who'd let you do the same.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:55 PM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
because the car has been modified, the dealer has the right to deny warranty coverage. -- Those are the rules
I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion.

I'm just wondering whether the OP is ok with doing something he apparently thinks voids the warranty and then trying to conceal that fact from the dealer in an effort to maintain his warranty coverage.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Tata Steva
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one for sale (only 7K on it...)
$140 shipped to you...
Let me know

Old 04-09-2010, 06:28 PM
joshK
4th Gear
This is a good example of why it's always a good idea to keep your stock parts.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:15 AM
ashboomstick
5th Gear
^This.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 AM
hemmingway_bg
1st Gear
Magnuson- Moss warranty act

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion.

I'm just wondering whether the OP is ok with doing something he apparently thinks voids the warranty and then trying to conceal that fact from the dealer in an effort to maintain his warranty coverage.
The dealer cannot just pull an excuse out of his butt to not honor a warranty. Make him prove that the fuzzy dice etc. caused the car not to start . I have an RX-8 and like many owners we have lots of after market parts on our cars. Some dealers would question a mod now and then but no harm no foul.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Last edited by hemmingway_bg; 04-10-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by hemmingway_bg
The dealer cannot just pull an excuse out of his butt to not honor a warranty. Make him prove that the fuzzy dice etc. caused the car not to start . I have an RX-8 and like many owners we have lots of after market parts on our cars. Some dealers would question a mod now and then but no harm no foul.
I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

A simple call to your dealership's service department will clear up their policy on mods. You don't even need to tell them your name if you feel at all awkward about this question. Whether you deem their rules fair or unfair, cool or uncool, at least you know their stance and can make your own decisions accordingly.

Also, if you spend money at your dealership and/or at least treat your MINI service advisors and techs kindly, it goes miles toward building a relationship where they will treat you kindly as well.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
joshK
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hemmingway_bg
While I agree with this, it's never really that easy. Universal City Mini tried to blame a bad temp sensor and a defective cylinder head (verified to NOT have been my fault by MINI USA and Nick Alexander MINI) on the fact that I had red Alta hoses. First they tried to blame it on the parts, then they had the gall to blame it on me (apparently one who mods their car probably abuses it...or so their logic went).

They didn't just not want to work on the car, they wanted me to pay for them to continue to "diagnose" it out of pocket to the tune of a couple grand...for "diagnosis"...on a car with 5k miles that was under warranty after they had already had the car for almost a month. I paid out of pocket to have it towed to Nick Alexander where it was promptly repaired with no hassles.

Dealers get less per hour $$ to reimburse them for warranty work than they do for customer paid work, so crappy dealerships will do whatever they can to get out of big warranty jobs.

Could I have "made them prove it?" Yes. But that would have meant being without my car for who knows how long, and they sure as hell weren't going to provide me with a loaner.

Research your dealer. Keep your stock parts. If you have any doubts, return it to stock when you bring it in so you don't have to deal with the headache.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
[quote=joshK;3026553] First they tried to blame it on the parts, then they had the gall to blame it on me (apparently one who mods their car probably abuses it...or so their logic went).

This almost happened to me on several occasions, but I know now to always put my car back to stock as far as bolt on parts (it is completly stock atm anyway). Its funny your dealership tried to pull the 'you abuse your car' card. My dealership repeatedly tells me to drive the car as hard as I want (and beleive me, I do ).

Research your dealer. Keep your stock parts. If you have any doubts, return it to stock when you bring it in so you don't have to deal with the headache.
^This is very important advice. I had a fuel pump go bad as well as a completely carborated head, and because I had put the car back to stock (CAI, boost tubes, BOV) they did not question my car's trouble as much. Without doing that, I might have gotten stuck with a $2000.00 bill. I know exactly what my modifications can do to the car, and I know for a fact that a CAI would not blow out a fuel pump. Its a good idea not to give your dealership a reason to question your car.