North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain (Cooper S) (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s-191/)
-   -   Drivetrain Stock R56 airbox. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/186922-stock-r56-airbox.html)

min1984 04-08-2010 11:18 AM

Stock R56 airbox.

Does anyone know where i could get the stock airbox for my 08 mcs ? The engine light came on so i would like to have my dealer check it out, but afraid they might deny my warranty cause of my DOS intake.

09MellowJCW 04-08-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by min1984 (Post 3025158)
Does anyone know where i could get the stock airbox for my 08 mcs ? The engine light came on so i would like to have my dealer check it out, but afraid they might deny my warranty cause of my DOS intake.

I saw one on Ebay for $130 the other day. It was one of those LONG buy it now auctions. Might still be there...

Mini'mon 04-08-2010 12:27 PM

Two questions:

1) Do you have a scan tool?

2) If so, any idea what the ECU code is?

min1984 04-08-2010 01:59 PM

I dont have a scan tools and have no idea what the code is. It came on about about 2 weeks after i put in forge intercooler and 3 weeks after DoS intake. The funny thing is the light came on for 2 days and goes away on its own for 3 days. Now it is on again

Mini'mon 04-08-2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by min1984 (Post 3025271)
I dont have a scan tools and have no idea what the code is. It came on about about 2 weeks after i put in forge intercooler and 3 weeks after DoS intake. The funny thing is the light came on for 2 days and goes away on its own for 3 days. Now it is on again

I would check your clamps and connections. It could be that the code is related to something in the charge/intake air tract. If you don't have a 'cool' MINI dealer, they'll flag you on both the CAI and the intercooler in your file or blame the CEL on those parts (even though it may have nothing to do with said parts).

I'd check the codes yourself before you bring it in because pulling your bumper cover off again is no fun. Places like AutoZone and Pep Boys may allow you to rent a scanner just in case you want to check the code(s) yourself before involving the dealer/taking-off parts.

willsblackmini08 04-08-2010 07:44 PM

I think autozone will check the codes for you free of charge.

Davidoyo 04-08-2010 10:57 PM

advance auto parts will check the code for free too

Mini'mon 04-09-2010 08:24 AM

Cool! That's great to know. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

jcauseyfd 04-09-2010 10:22 AM

IF the intake (or your other mods) caused the problem, don't you think it is fair that they deny warranty coverage?

joshknot 04-09-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mini'mon (Post 3025286)
...If you don't have a 'cool' MINI dealer, they'll flag you on both the CAI and the intercooler in your file or blame the CEL on those parts (even though it may have nothing to do with said parts).

Hey Clint- in the Bay area, do you have any insight on local dealers that you'd call 'cool' enough to handle some light modifications?

I've been taking my car to EastBay MINI in Pleasanton without any hassle- but I've had nothing done to the car to raise any questions...yet.

-Josh

Mini'mon 04-09-2010 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd (Post 3025869)
IF the intake (or your other mods) caused the problem, don't you think it is fair that they deny warranty coverage?

Hopefully you're raising this point to have a productive conversation about aftermarket parts and are not simply writing this because you're bored on a Friday afternoon and want to pick on min1984.

I've never seen a correctly designed CAI throw a CEL unless the owner completely over oils a K&N or foam filter and this gets sucked into the MAF. Taking shop towels to the filter to soak-up the excess oil and then promptly spraying some MAF sensor cleaner though the MAF element will usually clear up this issue. Don't over-oil air filters, folks.

Intercoolers don't throw CEL's unless the intercooler itself has a leak in it, a leak in one of the intake hoses, or a loose hose clamp.

When correctly functioning and maintained, these types of parts don't cause downstream issues. However, because the car has been modified, the dealer has the right to deny warranty coverage. -- Those are the rules and they vary from dealership to dealership. It is a good idea to make nice with your service advisor/manager and know which rules your dealership plays by.

Mini'mon 04-09-2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by joshknot (Post 3025882)
Hey Clint- in the Bay area, do you have any insight on local dealers that you'd call 'cool' enough to handle some light modifications?

I've been taking my car to EastBay MINI in Pleasanton without any hassle- but I've had nothing done to the car to raise any questions...yet.

-Josh

Most service managers at dealerships are very straightforward with the dealership's policy on aftermarket parts. MINI of SF has been pretty nice to me and customers thus far, but I know that they do have their limits.

iwashmycar 04-09-2010 11:27 AM

sounds like your in Cali?... if you were local you could borrow mine. Im sure there are people out there who'd let you do the same.

jcauseyfd 04-09-2010 05:55 PM

because the car has been modified, the dealer has the right to deny warranty coverage. -- Those are the rules
I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion.

I'm just wondering whether the OP is ok with doing something he apparently thinks voids the warranty and then trying to conceal that fact from the dealer in an effort to maintain his warranty coverage.

Tata Steva 04-09-2010 06:22 PM

I have one for sale (only 7K on it...)
$140 shipped to you...
Let me know:thumbsup:

joshK 04-09-2010 06:28 PM

This is a good example of why it's always a good idea to keep your stock parts.

ashboomstick 04-10-2010 02:15 AM

^This.

hemmingway_bg 04-10-2010 03:12 AM

Magnuson- Moss warranty act

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd (Post 3026146)
I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion.

I'm just wondering whether the OP is ok with doing something he apparently thinks voids the warranty and then trying to conceal that fact from the dealer in an effort to maintain his warranty coverage.

The dealer cannot just pull an excuse out of his butt to not honor a warranty. Make him prove that the fuzzy dice etc. caused the car not to start . I have an RX-8 and like many owners we have lots of after market parts on our cars. Some dealers would question a mod now and then but no harm no foul.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Mini'mon 04-10-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by hemmingway_bg (Post 3026384)
The dealer cannot just pull an excuse out of his butt to not honor a warranty. Make him prove that the fuzzy dice etc. caused the car not to start . I have an RX-8 and like many owners we have lots of after market parts on our cars. Some dealers would question a mod now and then but no harm no foul.

I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly.

A simple call to your dealership's service department will clear up their policy on mods. You don't even need to tell them your name if you feel at all awkward about this question. Whether you deem their rules fair or unfair, cool or uncool, at least you know their stance and can make your own decisions accordingly.

Also, if you spend money at your dealership and/or at least treat your MINI service advisors and techs kindly, it goes miles toward building a relationship where they will treat you kindly as well.

joshK 04-10-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by hemmingway_bg (Post 3026384)

While I agree with this, it's never really that easy. Universal City Mini tried to blame a bad temp sensor and a defective cylinder head (verified to NOT have been my fault by MINI USA and Nick Alexander MINI) on the fact that I had red Alta hoses. First they tried to blame it on the parts, then they had the gall to blame it on me (apparently one who mods their car probably abuses it...or so their logic went).

They didn't just not want to work on the car, they wanted me to pay for them to continue to "diagnose" it out of pocket to the tune of a couple grand...for "diagnosis"...on a car with 5k miles that was under warranty after they had already had the car for almost a month. I paid out of pocket to have it towed to Nick Alexander where it was promptly repaired with no hassles.

Dealers get less per hour $$ to reimburse them for warranty work than they do for customer paid work, so crappy dealerships will do whatever they can to get out of big warranty jobs.

Could I have "made them prove it?" Yes. But that would have meant being without my car for who knows how long, and they sure as hell weren't going to provide me with a loaner.

Research your dealer. Keep your stock parts. If you have any doubts, return it to stock when you bring it in so you don't have to deal with the headache.

Sketch 04-10-2010 04:18 PM

[quote=joshK;3026553] First they tried to blame it on the parts, then they had the gall to blame it on me (apparently one who mods their car probably abuses it...or so their logic went).

This almost happened to me on several occasions, but I know now to always put my car back to stock as far as bolt on parts (it is completly stock atm anyway). Its funny your dealership tried to pull the 'you abuse your car' card. My dealership repeatedly tells me to drive the car as hard as I want (and beleive me, I do :wink: ).

Research your dealer. Keep your stock parts. If you have any doubts, return it to stock when you bring it in so you don't have to deal with the headache.
^This is very important advice. I had a fuel pump go bad as well as a completely carborated head, and because I had put the car back to stock (CAI, boost tubes, BOV) they did not question my car's trouble as much. Without doing that, I might have gotten stuck with a $2000.00 bill. I know exactly what my modifications can do to the car, and I know for a fact that a CAI would not blow out a fuel pump. Its a good idea not to give your dealership a reason to question your car.