Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Selectable Sprint Booster - highly recommended

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
BlueMax
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selectable Sprint Booster - highly recommended

I installed a selectable Sprint Booster in my 2004 JCW MCS just over 2 weeks ago. There has been quite a few posts on Sprint Booster, mostly very positive but also some negative ones, also quite a bit of misunderstanding on what exactly it does. I have tried all the move the seat closer, push down harder on the loud pedal etc, you cannot replicate what the SB does because these methods cannot remove the electronically programmed lag! I know it is expensive (even more so for me having to import it all the way from Canada to South Africa) but in my experience it is absolutely worth it. I think a lot of people spend huge amounts to make more power where they would probably have been fine with less power but with a fast throttle response.
HUGE difference in driveability. I have forever been frustrated by the lag when moving off in 1st gear, specially on the pre-facelift long ratio gearbox. The selectable model has 3 settings: Off (Stock), Sport (green LED, mid-sensitivity setting), Race (Red LED max sensitivity setting). I find Sport to be the best for everyday use, clean pull-off, fantastic throttle response. I know SB does not add power, it has never been claimed to add power, but it makes the power that there is so much more useable. The car is lively and responsive in every gear, no more waiting for the lag to pass! Sport is also a setting that allows very smooth driving. To cliché, it has transformed the car for the better!
I have used Race a few times. It is VERY sensitive and I find that more concentration is needed especially when up-shifting so as not to over rev. Good fun but can be a bit jerky for everyday use, a bit too ‘on-off’, so sensitive it feels almost ridiculous at first and incredible how quickly the mechanical bits can actually respond as well. Almost more amazing than driving with SB for the first time is to switch if off after driving with it on for a while. I only want to switch it off from time to time just to remind myself how terrible it is without it! Waited quite a bit before pulling the trigger on this one, glad I waited and got the selectable model. I cannot praise it enough, it is the icing on the JCW conversion and 3% CP. Love it!

Attached Thumbnails Selectable Sprint Booster - highly recommended-dsc00465.jpg   Selectable Sprint Booster - highly recommended-dsc00466.jpg  

Last edited by BlueMax; 03-08-2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Pasted from MS Word - removed Font etc comments
Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
How many more of these viral threads on this product are we going to get?

Once a month someone write one of these breathless, long testaments to the greatest product ever made for a MINI!

Gimme a break.......

Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIdave
How many more of these viral threads on this product are we going to get?

Once a month someone write one of these breathless, long testaments to the greatest product ever made for a MINI!

Gimme a break.......
Take your attitude somewhere else please and give us a break. It's funny, on my way to work this morning I thought to myself that I needed to do a write up on my selectable SB. I've had mine on now for about a week and it's awesome. I sold my older model to a fellow NAM member and he was happy with it. Said he wished he'd gotten one 2 years ago. I just liked the idea of being able to turn it on or off with a button, so as if my wife ever had to drive the car. Basically, this is the same SB as old, just has a milder setting and an off option. Definitely worth it.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:40 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
And it's BEEN written up several times since.......each thread is almost a carbon copy of the others - which tells me these are written by a marketing company, not the end users.

My attitude has to do with the way this product is being marketed repeatedly on this site. I think the marketing sucks, and I'm as entitled to to my opinion and to express it as you are.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
The same could be said about the countless threads on CAI's. Yes, you're right, you can express your opinion, but don't start a personal campaign against a product that 9 times out of 10 you've never tried, driven a car with one installed, or even understand how it works. To say that I or another member is secretly advertising for the SB company is just plain silly if you ask me. So the next time someone makes a thread proclaiming how great an Alta CAI is, I bet we won't see any comments from you. You obviously have a problem with the SB product. Unfortunately, it would seem you have no clue about it.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:08 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The simple fact is I am SURE many people said the same about 15% reductions when they came out....now everybody has them!! The SB seems to be an awesome product, just made better by the selectability of the sensitivity in the most recent product update!!
I am going to use the money I would have used on the SB, and put it towards a tune....JUST because a well respected tuner is coming to our parts for the first time in 5 years. If I was not getting a tune, the SB would be at the top of my list!!
I know of a few folks that have them....and LOVE it!!
I admit, the first time I heard of the SB, I was like....what a gimiick, or that's BS, etc....but now that I know it is better than that...I can say I believe!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
BlueMax
1st Gear
I find it very sad that there are people flaming posts on a Mini community site and inferring all sorts of rubbish. I wrote this to update on the selectable model, yes there has been numerous posts on the older model. It would have been wonderful if I was marketing the product, then I would not have needed to spend my own money (converted from a bad exchange rate to $ + shipping and taxes). No one is forcing anyone to read posts, if it does not interest you then move on, read something else and try and contribute something positive, life is too short to be so utterly negative! Thought we all visited this site because of a common love and interest in our Minis. Also quite pathetic that most people that knock the product has not tried it. I guess you flame all people reporting on their new Mini purchases because all has been said before. Might as well close NAM then!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:48 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Thanks for the write up...some will actually appreciate it
It is also the first thread to show what pics look like with the selectable cable/controller.
It also seems that most people that bag out these devices have never actually tried them...so before you slam it how about actually trying it

Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 AM
scolburn79
4th Gear
It would be interesting to see if you could do another test for us. This one is to leave it on all the time and not switching it off and see if it still feels the same in say about a month. I don't know if it applies to this one but I have heard that the ECU compensates for it and then overrides it. Like I said, I HAVE ONLY HEARD THIS so it would be interesting to hear your findings in about a month or so

Old 03-09-2010, 02:55 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by scolburn79
It would be interesting to see if you could do another test for us. This one is to leave it on all the time and not switching it off and see if it still feels the same in say about a month. I don't know if it applies to this one but I have heard that the ECU compensates for it and then overrides it. Like I said, I HAVE ONLY HEARD THIS so it would be interesting to hear your findings in about a month or so
I had the first generation sprint booster on my car for nearly 2 years and the ECU does not compensate for anything and does not overide anything.... I took it off a few times and really noticed the difference.

I now have the velocity unit for my car which is similar for over a month and once again - the nothing.....

Hope this helps

Old 03-09-2010, 02:58 AM
BlueMax
1st Gear
Will post back later. From other user experiences some of the edge is taken off as the ECU adapts over time. I have not seen anything that the ECU overrides it, I cannot see how it will be possible to adapt that much in any case. Then again it is easy to reset the ECU!

Something I forgot in my OP. In terms of sport and race modes I commented as regards to my car's performance. Maybe on a stock MCS race will be the default choice. Anyway as stated I am very happy, pity I had to drive for allmost 6 years without it. I even considered putting in a facelift gearbox to get the shorter ratios. Now very glad I did not waste that kind of money. Thanks for the last 2 replies, shows there are still enough 'normal' people on NAM to make it worthwhile.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:06 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
^ What you actually find is not the ECU "adapting" but over time you can become de-sensitised to the increased throttle response - so it feels "normal"

However when you take it off and put it back on you notice the difference.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:18 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
It's funny, on my way to work this morning I thought to myself that I needed to do a write up on my selectable SB. I've had mine on now for about a week and it's awesome. I sold my older model to a fellow NAM member and he was happy with it. Said he wished he'd gotten one 2 years ago. I just liked the idea of being able to turn it on or off with a button, so as if my wife ever had to drive the car. Basically, this is the same SB as old, just has a milder setting and an off option. Definitely worth it.
Glad you got both cause I had a question. Which mode setting do you think the old SB would be in, from new SB selection of "Sport" and "Race"?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
The race mode seems to be exactly like the err.....1st gen SB. I couldn't tell a difference. The less aggressive setting is definitely a lot milder. I keep it on the aggressive setting however. I'm thinking I'd probably use the milder setting somewhere like the dragon.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think there is any question on whether or not this product works or not.....what needs to be said is that a competent tuner can do the same thing while tuning your car. If a tune is in your plans don't waste the money.

The ECU adaptives are done in a very short period of time, say a day or two depending on driving time. But there has been no verification from those who can tell if this is affected by the adaptive nature of the ecu.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That is true, but in that case it's all or none--and having a twitchy throttle isn't the best for day to day driving, although it's perfect for the track.

I hear what you're saying though--I'm going to ask for a bump in throttle response when I get my next tune (I've had one tune already, and although throttle response is improved, it's still too slow--it's a pain to have to wait for the revs on a heel to toe on the track, it's like "c'mon already"!!!). If it's still not where I want it, I'll give this a shot. The ability to turn it up to eleven for the track, and back down to five for day to day, does make a certain amount of sense.

The flip side is not everyone likes what this thing does. For some folks--even a few track rats--the throttle is too twitchy, and some have had issues with throttle modulation. I think this thing has a niche, and will appeal to many, but not all.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
I don't think there is any question on whether or not this product works or not.....what needs to be said is that a competent tuner can do the same thing while tuning your car. If a tune is in your plans don't waste the money.

The ECU adaptives are done in a very short period of time, say a day or two depending on driving time. But there has been no verification from those who can tell if this is affected by the adaptive nature of the ecu.
A tune cannot do what an external device such as a sprintbooster or velocity booster type unit can PERIOD.

For throttle response the ecu gets an error signal and has to stop and calculate and send back a demand signal, however with an external unit this allows you to amplify or multiply the demand signal which is instantaneous it does not need to do the math like the ECU.

I have a Dimsport tume on my car that gave "better" throttle response yet it is nothing like what I have experienced with these devices.

As for the adaptive nature of the ECU it has no effect on these products another myth perpetuated by the anti-sprintbooster brigade.....

Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I can guarantee that the ECU does not "adapt" to the SB. The SB intercepts the throttle position signal coming from the gas pedal sender unit, and outputs a new signal that represents a higher throttle position (TP) to the ECU. The ECU is surprisingly "dumb." It takes inputs (such as TP, MAP, etc) and uses algorithms that look up tables to control actions of the engine (the R53 engine is pretty simple--you can only control A/F and ignition timing).
When you get a dyno tune (and I've had 2), the tuner loads a new lookup table into the ECU. He can't change the inputs, and he can't change the algorithms, just the values that link the inputs to the outputs.
So called adaptive ECUs are not artificial intelligence--they simply output control values for given input values. They appear to adapt, because they give different output values for different input values (say, as atmospheric pressure changes with elevation.)
There is nothing equivalent to the SB, other than going into the stock gas pedal sender unit and loading in another TP map--but this is all ROM based, so you can't do it.
The biggest myth is not about the SB, but about the adaptive ECU. Everyone who says that their ECU has adapted has actually interacted with the most adaptive system on the planet--themselves!

Last edited by DrPhilGandini; 03-09-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
I can guarantee that the ECU does not "adapt" to the SB....
The biggest myth is not about the SB, but about the adaptive ECU. Everyone who says that their ECU has adapted has actually interacted with the most adaptive system on the planet--themselves!
Spot on

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D-MAN
A tune cannot do what an external device such as a sprintbooster or velocity booster type unit can PERIOD.

For throttle response the ecu gets an error signal and has to stop and calculate and send back a demand signal, however with an external unit this allows you to amplify or multiply the demand signal which is instantaneous it does not need to do the math like the ECU.

I have a Dimsport tume on my car that gave "better" throttle response yet it is nothing like what I have experienced with these devices.

As for the adaptive nature of the ECU it has no effect on these products another myth perpetuated by the anti-sprintbooster brigade.....

It most certainly can.......you just need to talk with the right people.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:05 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the write up BlueMax Don't worry about these other guys, they don't like anything but what they have heard from the "right people". Thanks for the pics too.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bigshot
It most certainly can.......you just need to talk with the right people.
I assume you are talking about RMW....

Well here it is from someone who knows more about RMW products than you

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...67-post57.html

Once you have tried these products feel free to come back and add anything constructive to the posts...

Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Well guys, on my way home from work I decided to switch over to the less aggressive setting. I think i'm going to keep it on this setting. It was more than enough throttle response for a wonderful drive. It seemed to just drive right. The aggressive setting would be more for when there is less traffic on the road. It's overkill in 5 o'clock traffic. I'm really loving this thing.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
BlueMax
1st Gear
OK Tim so we agree on the sport setting for normal use. Very linear and not twitchy at all. Race setting requires concentration to drive smoothly, feels a bit artificial to me. Try switching it off for a while and then back to sport during the same drive, it will make you smile, feels like the handbrake was not fully released!

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueMax
OK Tim so we agree on the sport setting for normal use. Very linear and not twitchy at all. Race setting requires concentration to drive smoothly, feels a bit artificial to me. Try switching it off for a while and then back to sport during the same drive, it will make you smile, feels like the handbrake was not fully released!
I will definitely try it out then. Might not get to today. It's pouring down like crazy outside this morning. But you're right, the mild setting is the way to go. I'll put it on race mode when I'm on an open highway or when there is less traffic in the area.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Selectable Sprint Booster - highly recommended