Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 AM
DarkSideMINI
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanx for the quick reply! That is what i figured but I wasn't sure...very good location!
But I have to see if it will work with the DoS CAI as well!

Have fun in Japan!
Originally Posted by Tron Chief
On the cross bar you can see the silver bolt that came in the kit. All I did was slide the washer into the center of the frame and put the bolt down put the catch can onto the bolt and then attached. Having the cold air intake (I think Custom Mini Shop has one left) allowed me to remove the factory little tube that is the intake since I now have a large air intake thus allowing the catch can to be located there. I would be happy to take a photo of it from a different angle however I'm currently in Okinawa Japan and will not be back in the States until Mid July. Steve at Custom Mini Shop did the installs and has both of the major pieces i.e. intake and catch can along with the dual port boost plug and his contact information is in my signature line.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Tym2Relax
1st Gear
I was curious if someone could drain the can using a quick drain valve. Would something like this work?

Last edited by Tym2Relax; 05-27-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by DarkSideMINI
Thanx for the quick reply! That is what i figured but I wasn't sure...very good location!
But I have to see if it will work with the DoS CAI as well!

. . .
Several folks are using the BSH OCC with the DoS CAI. You can see a great example here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...728-post1.html

Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Clubmaste00
3rd Gear
There are a variety of ways to drain the contents. I just returned from a 4k round trip Michigan to AZ and back and drained mine of some foul looking brown stuff - probably 4 ozs. Problem was that I drained into a small plastic cup I had handy and left it on the work bench overnight. Fortunetly it was on a towel as when i looked at it the next morning the plastic cup had dissolved leaving just the very bottom of the cup and the upper rim. Not sure what type of plastic but that stuff must had some serious hydrocarbons in it.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Clubmaste00
There are a variety of ways to drain the contents. I just returned from a 4k round trip Michigan to AZ and back and drained mine of some foul looking brown stuff - probably 4 ozs. Problem was that I drained into a small plastic cup I had handy and left it on the work bench overnight. Fortunetly it was on a towel as when i looked at it the next morning the plastic cup had dissolved leaving just the very bottom of the cup and the upper rim. Not sure what type of plastic but that stuff must had some serious hydrocarbons in it.

SERIOUS INDEED !! If I remember right, that's why PCV systems were one of the first smog controls put on cars.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
DarkSideMINI
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
Several folks are using the BSH OCC with the DoS CAI. You can see a great example here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...728-post1.html
Well that spot is already taken...by the W2A-IC!

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Tym2Relax
1st Gear
I see this question to BSH was asked before, but also wanted to know if there are any consequence to not emptying the catch can. What happens when it fills up?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tym2Relax
I see this question to BSH was asked before, but also wanted to know if there are any consequence to not emptying the catch can. What happens when it fills up?
Cracked/blown cam cover, fouled/damaged turbo, clogged/cruded IC and major piston ring blow-by. Other than that, not much!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Tym2Relax
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Cracked/blown cam cover, fouled/damaged turbo, clogged/cruded IC and major piston ring blow-by. Other than that, not much!
Thanks Dwight for the info. That's way worse than I imagined. Even though I don't think I would forget, it's good to know what could happen if I did (forgetting IS a possibility for everyone). I suppose there isn't a way to design a way to release the contents if the volume exceeded a certain amount.

BTW, I see you are in San Marcos. I really like it down there. We have some friends there and love to go down and get on the lake.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tym2Relax
Thanks Dwight for the info. That's way worse than I imagined. Even though I don't think I would forget, it's good to know what could happen if I did (forgetting IS a possibility for everyone). I suppose there isn't a way to design a way to release the contents if the volume exceeded a certain amount.

BTW, I see you are in San Marcos. I really like it down there. We have some friends there and love to go down and get on the lake.
Glad I could help. BTW, if your thinking about an OCC system only 2 are worth considering IMO, the 42 Draft Design and the BSH. They're the only ones I know of with baffling inside, dip sticks and drain plugs. If your MINI's a turbo, go with the BSH as it'll push all the crank case phlegm thru the OCC before ingesting.

Yup, been in San Mucous since '74 when there were 4K folks in town. It's now 85K! GREWSOME .

Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
I just got my BSH Catch Can and Direct Dual Boost Tap in the mail yesterday and I wanted to mount it in the same place that onefish2 and 09MellowJCW has theirs in order to accommodate my DoS. It looks like they needed extra hose, though. Does anyone know exactly how much hose I'll need and what kind I need to get? I'm assuming it's something I can pick up at Home Depot or something... Otherwise I'll give BSH a call and see if they can cut me some extra.

Last edited by MaverickGun; 06-04-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
I just got my BSH Catch Can and Direct Dual Boost Tap in the mail yesterday and I wanted to mount it in the same place that onefish2 and 09MellowJCW has theirs in order to accommodate my DoS. It looks like they needed extra hose, though. Does anyone know exactly how much hose I'll need and what kind I need to get? I'm assuming it's something I can pick up at Home Depot or something... Otherwise I'll give BSH a call and see if they can cut me some extra.

Just give BSH a call and save yourself a lot of leg work. When I put my system together, I looked everywhere for .75"/19mm ID tubing that could handle harsh petrochemicals. Finally got it from BSH for $2.50/ft.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Well this is somewhat distressing... I tried sending an e-mail yesterday to minisales@bshspeedshop.com but it was returned saying the inbox was full. I also tried calling them at around 3:00 pm So Cal time and no one picked up. Not even an answering machine! It must have rung at least 15 times. Today I went onto their website to check their hours and it said they should have been open until 6:00 pm on Fridays. So this morning I try sending them a message through their Contact Us page on their website, and that was returned too. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Old 06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
onefish2
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try contacting Sushil Rao sushil@bshspeedshop.com. He is the MINI guy there.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Dwight Walhood
5th Gear
Try 42 DraftDesign.com. They've got the tubing at the same price ($2.50/ft.).

Old 06-05-2010, 03:14 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onefish2
Try contacting Sushil Rao sushil@bshspeedshop.com. He is the MINI guy there.
Originally Posted by Dwight Walhood
Try 42 DraftDesign.com. They've got the tubing at the same price ($2.50/ft.).
Awesome. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Sushil's inbox is full. That's a little too bad, since I wouldn't mind getting the tubing from BSH. I'll have try 42DraftDesigns.com instead. Hopefully about 10ft should be enough just in case I manage to mess up somewhere along the line. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by MaverickGun; 06-05-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-05-2010, 03:32 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Sushil is no longer with BSH.............. but I can't confirm that.

Hydraulic supplier !?!?? Wouldn't they supply the same type of hose ?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:35 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
The over-sized plug for the boost tap, does that have to be ordered separately?? I got my catcher can and boost tap but the over-sized plug is nowhere in the kit .....................

Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 PM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tominizer
The over-sized plug for the boost tap, does that have to be ordered separately?? I got my catcher can and boost tap but the over-sized plug is nowhere in the kit .....................
Mine came with the Direct Dual Boost Tap. Inside the little baggie there were ten things: the boost tap, the retention clip, two o-rings, two small silver pipe plugs, one silver buttonhead set screw, a 90 barbed fitting, a straight barbed fitting, and the extra large pipe plug. The pipe plug looks exactly like the two smaller silver ones, but it's black and (obviously) quite a bit larger.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
yeah........ like said, no extra large pipe plug in my kit. :(

Kinda was hoping to have this on for my drive from Toronto to Montreal this week. Oh well. This went hand in hand with the Joey mod I wanted to do but the two lower outside bolts holding the lights to the chassis both are seized and the PO must have torques them so hard they stripped them in the plastic bracket and so now they both spin but no come out. :(

My mod weekend is 0 for 2. Ballz.......

Old 06-05-2010, 06:08 PM
onefish2
6th Gear
Installed the BSH OCC on 4-22-2010. Six weeks later, this is what came out of the catch can this evening.

My wife is a nurse. So asked her to bring home some kind of syringe so that I could suck this goop out of the catch can from the dip stick hole.
Its a 2 oz/60ml syringe. I stuck a drinking straw into the bottom of the syringe and was able to remove all of the liquid from the catch can. In total I got about 6 ounces of this nasty stuff out of the catch can.

This stuff is nasty. I can only imagine what is going on down if the gulf with the oil spill from the Deepwater Horizon oil rig.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Fish

Is that just from street driving or track as well?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:40 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tominizer
yeah........ like said, no extra large pipe plug in my kit. :(

Kinda was hoping to have this on for my drive from Toronto to Montreal this week. Oh well. This went hand in hand with the Joey mod I wanted to do but the two lower outside bolts holding the lights to the chassis both are seized and the PO must have torques them so hard they stripped them in the plastic bracket and so now they both spin but no come out. :(

My mod weekend is 0 for 2. Ballz.......

Okay, so it looks like one of my e-mails must have gotten through to BSH. Despite Sushil's inbox being full, I got an email from a Phil regarding the extra tubing I wanted. Unfortunately, I've already ordered from 42 Draft Designs . Hopefully It's the right stuff.

I suppose that means you can try e-mailing phil@bshspeedshop.com about your missing plug pipe. Good to know someone's keeping an eye on things .

Old 06-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MaverickGun
Okay, so it looks like one of my e-mails must have gotten through to BSH. Despite Sushil's inbox being full, I got an email from a Phil regarding the extra tubing I wanted. Unfortunately, I've already ordered from 42 Draft Designs . Hopefully It's the right stuff.

I suppose that means you can try e-mailing phil@bshspeedshop.com about your missing plug pipe. Good to know someone's keeping an eye on things .
BSH made a vendor announcement that Sushil no longer on their team. They mentioned that we should direct all emails or inquiries to Justin@bshspeedshop.com or Sales@bshspeedshop.com

Old 06-07-2010, 10:54 AM
MaverickGun
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mini'mon
BSH made a vendor announcement that Sushil no longer on their team. They mentioned that we should direct all emails or inquiries to Justin@bshspeedshop.com or Sales@bshspeedshop.com
Oops. Must have missed that memo . Well, it's good to know for future reference . Thanks Mini'mon.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install