Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey BSH I sent you a PM.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Stimpy
1st Gear
I just finished the install of the OCC. I had a bit of trouble with the JCW strut brace. If I used both screws in the OCC, then it would sit too low to clear the intake tube. If I installed it like 09MellowJCW, then it would sit too high and touch the strut brace.
So I drilled another hole between the 2 existing ones and used the one bolt method from 09MellowJCW.
Here is a picture after the install

Old 03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
newbs49
Banned
Looks like a nice job. I'd really like to know what someone thinks about the R53 setup.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
I just got back from AMVIV and while there talked with BSH about the new catch can drain plug. I decided to see what I had in my can after running about 2000 miles almost all of that with out the Dual Boost Port installed. I removed well over 20 cc's of fluid water oil combo. I now have the new drain port installed and with a nice road trip of 401 miles back to the house the car ran great the boost port functions exactly as I would have expected and works well with the boost gauges sold by Custom Mini Shop. Here is a link to the gauge forum

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gauges-16.html

Thanks again for a product that works and looks great.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
thevelourfog
5th Gear
Just ordered a can and boost port, looking forward to installing!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Sales@BSH
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by newbs49
Looks like a nice job. I'd really like to know what someone thinks about the R53 setup.
The R53 setup is a little bit easier, but to make it look clean, we give you 2 rubber grommets to run your hoses through. Functionality is the same as the R56, big differences between the can lie in the hose size. The R53 uses -6 hose, and the R56 uses -10 hose. A good Catch can uses the same size hose as offered by the factory.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Sales@BSH
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Davidoyo
Hey BSH I sent you a PM.
Received and Replied... Sorry for the delay... AMVIV kept me busy!

Originally Posted by Tron Chief
I just got back from AMVIV and while there talked with BSH about the new catch can drain plug. I decided to see what I had in my can after running about 2000 miles almost all of that with out the Dual Boost Port installed. I removed well over 20 cc's of fluid water oil combo. I now have the new drain port installed and with a nice road trip of 401 miles back to the house the car ran great the boost port functions exactly as I would have expected and works well with the boost gauges sold by Custom Mini Shop. Here is a link to the gauge forum

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...gauges-16.html

Thanks again for a product that works and looks great.
I was wondering where all the oil from your CC went.. Thanks for emptying it It was great meeting you, and thank for all your input and support.

Originally Posted by thevelourfog
Just ordered a can and boost port, looking forward to installing!
A) It won't be long until you get it...
B) You won't be installing it for very long either..

ENJOY!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM
ENGINE 58
5th Gear
how about another group buy on the whole setup pretty please

Old 04-05-2010, 06:43 PM
zooki
2nd Gear
a look at what's going into the intake...

Here's what I drained out of my BSH catch can after roughly 3 weeks and a couple of thousand miles. Mostly water, but enough oil on top to make this thing mandatory, in my opinion. A sight glass on the side would be icing on the cake!

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-h1.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah that's about the same amount mine collects a month. To show folks what actually comes out I uploaded an old vid of mine with the pcv open.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
BBoshart
3rd Gear
Zooki,

Do you also use the BSH boost tap plug? I'm getting the catch can for sure but don't know how effective it would be without blocking one of the PCV ports?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:58 PM
cop1406
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Group buy... Group buy... Group buy....

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
It's nice to see a product that actually works. Catch cans from other companies look nice however don't perform except in the bling catagory.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
09MellowJCW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BBoshart
Zooki,

Do you also use the BSH boost tap plug? I'm getting the catch can for sure but don't know how effective it would be without blocking one of the PCV ports?
I have both, that's the major reason that I wanted their can. I love BSH. I'm getting their torque arm mount while I'm at Helix getting tuned Wed. too.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
JeffreyC
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So what happens if you forget to drain it a bit and it loads up with water/oil? Does it back into the hoses and ultimately foul things up?

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
With a 3 month trip with the Navy and my better half driving my car I decided that I should check on the contents of my new second generation BSH catch can.

When I installed this catch can I also installed the dual port plug and recorded the milage. Now with just over 32,000 miles total and 897 since install here is the results

BSH will tell you that for more money they could make a product that looks better, however when it works why mess with perfection. I plan on checking this again after I get back as it will only be driven once or twice a week as she really enjoys her cabrio better.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 AM
newbs49
Banned
From the previous posts, I guess every R56 should get one of the BSH cans. I can't believe the junk those engines pump out. No wonder there are so many problems with crude build up on valves. Looks like this product will help!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Tron Chief
6th Gear
Here is the contents after setting for 18 hours.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also interested in a group buy!

Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
newbs49
Banned
I think a group buy isn't going to happen.They had a special when it first came out. I think you'd have to get one of the vendors to handle a group buy now.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
So i just got the BSH occ and dual boost tap and have a noob question. I know that I have to cut the hose that it comes with, but do i just cut it in the middle or cut it to the needs of the placement of the occ?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
BSH OCC placement problem

Well I tried to install my BSH occ and found out the hard way that it would not fit. after I followed the instructions and was about to connect the occ to the Mini I realized that because I have the factory alarm installed on my Mini I cannot put the occ where BSH recommended. This is because the hood pressure switch that the alarm uses is in place of where the occ would go. Since I still have the stock intake I cannot put it in the other place either. So basically I have no idea where to put. It could possibly fit in the place with the alarm pressure switch, but I would need to find some kind of bracket that would put the occ to the left of the alarm switch. Other than that I am currently stuck. Any suggestions anyone? I have included a picture so you can see the problem.

Attached Thumbnails BSH catch can and dual boost port install-bsh-occ-problem-002-edited.jpg  
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
newbs49
Banned
Can'yyou move the switch?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
I could move the switch, but I would have no idea where to put it. Also if the switch is not depressed I think it would mess with my alarm when I tried to lock my car. I could tape the switch down, but that kinda deletes the point of the alarm. Plus I cannot freaking find out how to unscrew the switch because once you unplug it there is a plastic connector in the way that blocks the screw.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Sales@BSH
Former Vendor
Well I tried to install my BSH occ and found out the hard way that it would not fit. after I followed the instructions and was about to connect the occ to the Mini I realized that because I have the factory alarm installed on my Mini I cannot put the occ where BSH recommended. This is because the hood pressure switch that the alarm uses is in place of where the occ would go. Since I still have the stock intake I cannot put it in the other place either. So basically I have no idea where to put. It could possibly fit in the place with the alarm pressure switch, but I would need to find some kind of bracket that would put the occ to the left of the alarm switch. Other than that I am currently stuck. Any suggestions anyone? I have included a picture so you can see the problem.
You have run into a tricky situation! This is why we offer two different mounting locations, however you have a car/setup that doesn't have either available! We are currently working on an "upgrade" kit for a third mounting location, which tentatively will include an additional bracket and hardware so that it will be easier to mount to the plastic firewall at the back of the engine bay. Look for updates with DoS for this process as well If you get anxious, give a call into the shop and I we'll send you another bracket

So i just got the BSH occ and dual boost tap and have a noob question. I know that I have to cut the hose that it comes with, but do i just cut it in the middle or cut it to the needs of the placement of the occ?
Cut the hoses at the end to length depending on where you mount the can, the length of the hoses needed will change.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain BSH catch can and dual boost port install