Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain **Riss Racing** R56 Mini Cooper/Clubman S Sequential BOV System! (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**Riss Racing** R56 Mini Cooper/Clubman S Sequential BOV System! (Video)

Hey guys,

We had some great progress this weekend with the full sequential system. I am very happy with the system and the functionality of the new sequential valves. We were able to do the full test and check boost/vacuum on our test car. We're boosting right at 13psi on Mini S. Also, the sequential system has been rated to relieve pressure up to 30psi without ANY Leaks. Tested and working perfectly fine. We've also been able to install a Riss Racing Noisemaker delete. This will be included with every kit BOV kit

There are also going to be vast improvements with the full system. Also, there will be no leaking from the valves due to the 2 channel pull type valve. Most BOV's on the market are a push only so the sequential system is much different in terms of performance. Even under vacuum or high boost conditions, you will not see any leak/surge/spike from the RR Bov system. The Sequential system keeps the valve closed against the plate during vacuum. Since the BOV system is regulated by change in pressure, the system ensures an extremely quick response under all boost conditions. The great thing about the sequential system is it can work for extremely high boost applications.

** minimizes turbo lag/quicker response from turbos
** turbos do not drop off after shifts, pressure stays up
** fits all stock/HEAVILY modified turbo applications
** no boost "flutter" under daily driving conditions

The charge pipe can be polished or powdercoated.

additional info:

**If you HAVE a noisemaker still attached and would not like to delete, we can add the 2nd fitting so you can attach the noisemaker directly to the BOV system. Please contact us for before ordering.

** Production pieces will include:

1. RR charge pipe
2. Sequential BOV system
3. noisemaker delete
4. Silicone hoses/fittings/hardware

Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
reserved

Old 01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adam

Nice Work

Think I will wait until my riss o2 sim ships before placing a order for a bov.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
Adam

Nice Work

Think I will wait until my riss o2 sim ships before placing a order for a bov.
Thank you so much! I hope to have another update for the o2 sim later this week. All material was ordered last week so the boards are going to have the software uploaded this week!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM
tfuhst
2nd Gear
looks like this long wait will pay off! very excited to recieve mine

Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
Originally Posted by tfuhst
looks like this long wait will pay off! very excited to recieve mine
Absolutely! I could only thank you for your patiences with us! I'll make sure to have all the pending orders ready to go out asap. The pipes are made to order, so we will have at least 8 sets completed to go out within the first 2 weeks. Prep time is very short, roughly 2 weeks for another 10 set after!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:21 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why did Riss make a 4" tube to the HKS SSQV? Piping losses could have been avoided if the HKS SSQV was mounted directly to a hardpipe...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Adam@RissRacing
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Why did Riss make a 4" tube to the HKS SSQV? Piping losses could have been avoided if the HKS SSQV was mounted directly to a hardpipe...
Great question! We actually just installed the unit as is to see if there was any pressure loss/leaks. We've already shortened the length of the tube so the total length is about 1.5" off the BOV. We don't want to make a permanent flange off the BOV so you can swap BOV's if need be

Old 01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
danielo
4th Gear
er..... how is this different from the HKS BOV kit?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
HKS SSQV kit for the R56 has a small hardpipe with the valve mounted directly to it. The silicone couplers are a bit longer than NM-Eng's or Exhaust Depot's. You can still take the valve off and replace it with the snap rings that it uses. Exhaust Depot's kit is still seems to be the hot choice with it's longer hardpipe and direct mounting for reduced piping losses and less pipe expansion under boost.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Adam@RissRacing
Former Vendor
The full system will be priced exceptionally well. Also, we will include a noisemaker delete mod with every system. Custom orders can be made to keep the noisemaker attachment on the BOV if requested.

The snap ring is virtually impossible to take off unless you have a snap-ring tool. Same goes with taking the system off. We use the silicone connectors because its 1" in travel does not make any difference in regards to a performance standpoint.

This is a Z-Shift BOV system for the N54. The car boosts around 13psi and the system works pefectly fine. The R56 system will have less travel and a much better BOV.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
So a lot of us would like to know when we are going to see some dyno results from your company for the R56. Anthony once promised this, but will Riss ever deliver? It seems as though Alta does this, but it's not done by a third party and can be viewed as questionable. Why not set the bar Adam?

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
So a lot of us would like to know when we are going to see some dyno results from your company for the R56. Anthony once promised this, but will Riss ever deliver? It seems as though Alta does this, but it's not done by a third party and can be viewed as questionable. Why not set the bar Adam?
Shane,

The dynos will get done. We will have the full results posted within the next week. We're testing several configurations of the exhaust/downpipe along with stock. I will be posting results as soon as they're completed w/ video/graphs

Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riss Racing
Shane,

The dynos will get done. We will have the full results posted within the next week. We're testing several configurations of the exhaust/downpipe along with stock. I will be posting results as soon as they're completed w/ video/graphs
Hi Adam, could you please include the results of installing a catless downpipe on a Factory JCW with the stock JCW catback?

Thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Riss Racing
Banned
Originally Posted by etalj
Hi Adam, could you please include the results of installing a catless downpipe on a Factory JCW with the stock JCW catback?

Thanks
Hi etalj,

we only have the stock exhaust system here. I'll post and see if we can get a local test car!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
JamesHunt
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by etalj

Thanks

the only time the rr catless downpipe makes a huge sound difference on a jcw with oem exhaust is at 2000 to 3000 when the turbo is ramping up the boost .

best way to describe it is WRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP then as rpm picks up it tones down a bit.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JamesHunt
best way to describe it is WRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPP then as rpm picks up it tones down a bit.
lol

Looking forward to seeing this piece more in depth. Any chance of a driving clip?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:35 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Adam can you explain this setup in more detail? It looks like this is just a normal hks ssqv? What benefits are the actual users seeing from other designs? What benefits if anything from the stock bov?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Adam@RissRacing
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by skippydog
Adam can you explain this setup in more detail? It looks like this is just a normal hks ssqv? What benefits are the actual users seeing from other designs? What benefits if anything from the stock bov?
Hi Skippydog,

We are going to be running a 304SS charge pipe instead of the aluminum. We want to run durable piping because we've actually seen some aluminum pipes bent where the clamp went around the inlet. We want to run a thin gauge steel and have a polished/ceramic/powdercoated finish.

The sequential valve is the same setup, but we're giving options to which system to run. We've completed more testing on the stage I and stage II system and they've been working like normal. After re-installing the systems on the stainless charge pipe we haven't had any kind of leaking issues. There might have been a leak in the charge pipe during initial testing. This will allow you to interchange the system depending on supporting mods.

Also, the benefits over stock are the spool up and lags between shifts. The stock BOV performs as it should. Like a stock OEM part. There is no special functionality.

RR BOV System
-no boost flutter (may have compressor surge if the valve does not open properly)

-quicker shifts (boost stays up and doesn't fall on its face like the stock unit)

-Quicker turbo spool/minimize boost lag (Although the turbos are small, you will notice a difference in acceleration alone)

-Noisemaker Delete (most of the people I speak to already want to get this taken care of and its included in the kit)

The stock system is SPECIFICALLY designed for a stock Mini. Once mods are installed/boost levels are brought up, you will need something to support the other modifications you have. The system will be in place to meet all expectations. Thank you!

-

Old 01-23-2010, 03:40 AM
danielo
4th Gear
To be honest, mine was a direct replica of the HKS kit and I am experiencing pipe loses.

I feel that with the vent to atmosphere bov the boost gets lost and it takes time again for the turbo to charge up the pipes.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by danielo
To be honest, mine was a direct replica of the HKS kit and I am experiencing pipe loses.

I feel that with the vent to atmosphere bov the boost gets lost and it takes time again for the turbo to charge up the pipes.
Thats what you get when you put a VTA BOV on a car that is meant and designed for closed recirculation of boost.

But BOV's will always be money makers because people love to waste money on them.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
skippydog
3rd Gear
The optimal bov for the mini recirculates the dumped air back in after the afm. That way the metered air that was registered going into they car is not lost and does not cause a hickup when the air gets dumped back.

Some cars handle it better than others. Thats not to say that I dont love the sound of a open bov. I think they sound great! I love the sound of the SSQV!

Last edited by skippydog; 01-23-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:08 PM
danielo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Thats what you get when you put a VTA BOV on a car that is meant and designed for closed recirculation of boost.

But BOV's will always be money makers because people love to waste money on them.
I know there aren't any real world gains for a VTA BOV for our MINI but even with the turbo lag, I still have it on as I just like the sound.

I just wanted to make clear that having a BOV of our cars will not improve turbo lag even though tuners are saying that it will.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:09 PM
MrCooperS
Damn, that video clip alone makes me want a R56.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Adam@RissRacing
Former Vendor
STAGE I AND STAGE II VIDEOS!

STAGE I BOV SYSTEM!

STAGE II BOV SYSTEM!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain **Riss Racing** R56 Mini Cooper/Clubman S Sequential BOV System! (Video)