Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56 Noisemaker Revealed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 11cooperS
I just triple checked my 2011, just because I couldn't imagine how my car wouldn't have it and other 2011's would. This includes taking great detailed notes and photos of the y-pipe which allows for pipe 10 in the diagram to connect.
Where the Y pipe apparently is for everyone else, I've got a hard plastic pipe that's straight thru.
My car is a California car which might be why, but I'm telling ya... No noisemaker.
Can you pull the air filter box some time and post a picture? It would be really cool to see what the OEM replacement for that y-pipe looks like.

Best,

-Clint

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
I posted back in January that the 2011's don't have the noisemaker. I'm surprised that some do - perhaps they were early build cars.

I know for a fact that mine doesn't have it because I purchased the NM replacement tube from Way Motor Works and when I went to install it, discovered it wasn't needed. Called Way and he asked for photos. Sent them to him and he refunded me for the NM tube.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Greg Davis
I posted back in January that the 2011's don't have the noisemaker. I'm surprised that some do - perhaps they were early build cars.

I know for a fact that mine doesn't have it because I purchased the NM replacement tube from Way Motor Works and when I went to install it, discovered it wasn't needed. Called Way and he asked for photos. Sent them to him and he refunded me for the NM tube.
Can you forward on that photo? Would love to see it.

-Clint

Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Greg Davis
4th Gear
Clint - I'll have to check my computer at home. I may have deleted it once I settled things with Way.

Greg

Old 04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My 1/11 build doesn't have it. I can feel a flat spot on the bottom of the cowl which seems to match the spot where the rectangular end piece would have connected.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
zeiker
2nd Gear
I just combed through my '11 S Clubman engine compartment and I, too, noticed a straight black plastic down-tube where the T for the noisemaker line would otherwise be.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Mini'mon
Former Vendor
Clint - I'll have to check my computer at home. I may have deleted it once I settled things with Way.

Greg
Great! I've been too busy to head over to MINI of SF lately, so the some pics of this 2011 fix would be nice to see.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11cooperS
I just triple checked my 2011, just because I couldn't imagine how my car wouldn't have it and other 2011's would. This includes taking great detailed notes and photos of the y-pipe which allows for pipe 10 in the diagram to connect.
Where the Y pipe apparently is for everyone else, I've got a hard plastic pipe that's straight thru.
My car is a California car which might be why, but I'm telling ya... No noisemaker.
I've had a couple 2011's come into the shop and they did not have it either. Just the plastic tube. I need to go to BMW for parts later and am going to order this part while I am there. It looks like it should bolt right into the 07-10 pipes using all the same hardware.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
I've had a couple 2011's come into the shop and they did not have it either. Just the plastic tube. I need to go to BMW for parts later and am going to order this part while I am there. It looks like it should bolt right into the 07-10 pipes using all the same hardware.
Mike, part number would be great. Curious for those with 2011 that don't have the Noisemaker, is there a cover for the oval part of the firewall?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Rixter
Mike, part number would be great. Curious for those with 2011 that don't have the Noisemaker, is there a cover for the oval part of the firewall?
When I had BMW look it up their data base shows the old image with the noisemaker so I couldn't be sure if the part was with or with out it. I need to take them a vin from a 2011 that doesn't have it. In hind sight I should have just gone out on to their lot and looked at one of theirs.

I didn't notice if there was a plug or not, but that will be a good buy if there is. Most of the 11's we get are for simple work right now and I just haven't had time to look. I'll check next week though, I should have another one coming in.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stryker305
What a POS part, I pulled mine today and shoved a Nike tour golf ball into the hose, tightened the hose clamp around it and voila took her for a spin and I am happy with the less noise in my cabin.

I shoved some old sponge material I found in the garage into the end that went into the fire wall, next mod switch my ride back to stock JCW exhaust

Thx for the help guys
Is this legit - has anyone tried this? Seems like a good solution to avoid spending 25 bucks on a kit that will be ripped apart anyway Aren't golf ***** slightly larger than what was posted, diameter-wise?

Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Underoath
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jbourne
Is this legit - has anyone tried this? Seems like a good solution to avoid spending 25 bucks on a kit that will be ripped apart anyway Aren't golf ***** slightly larger than what was posted, diameter-wise?
would you trust a golf ball that isnt even perfectly round because of the dimples in it and have it leak boost lol? just spend the 25$ for something you know is proven and air tight, not rigged up,

Old 05-05-2011, 12:09 PM
jbourne
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Heh, good point I suppose.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:32 AM
SooperCuperErik
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Underoath
would you trust a golf ball that isnt even perfectly round because of the dimples in it and have it leak boost lol? just spend the 25$ for something you know is proven and air tight, not rigged up,
Or spend $1.50 at home depot on a plumbers end cap and clamp it down.
Had mine on for 3 years now no problems. lol

Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike@Tech Division
When I had BMW look it up their data base shows the old image with the noisemaker so I couldn't be sure if the part was with or with out it. I need to take them a vin from a 2011 that doesn't have it. In hind sight I should have just gone out on to their lot and looked at one of theirs.

I didn't notice if there was a plug or not, but that will be a good buy if there is. Most of the 11's we get are for simple work right now and I just haven't had time to look. I'll check next week though, I should have another one coming in.
Mike did you manage to spot any particular part?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Mike did you manage to spot any particular part?
No I haven't seen one yet.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Real OEM show the new part which I guess is without noisemaker here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=13&fg=20

Although noisemaker is still shown item numbers are not listed so I am guessing part number is number 7: 13712753077 which seems to have been replaced by number 8: 13717611120 after June 2010.

My car is going in for Cold Start Rattle on Thursday so have asked about these parts and will be taking home the correct one for fitment so will post actual part number once I know unless anyone else finds out before then.

That is unless my car is terminally ill

Old 05-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MattyKHZ
Real OEM show the new part which I guess is without noisemaker here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...06&hg=13&fg=20

Although noisemaker is still shown item numbers are not listed so I am guessing part number is number 7: 13712753077 which seems to have been replaced by number 8: 13717611120 after June 2010.

My car is going in for Cold Start Rattle on Thursday so have asked about these parts and will be taking home the correct one for fitment so will post actual part number once I know unless anyone else finds out before then.

That is unless my car is terminally ill
I was in a real hurry when I asked, but they couldn't confirm if the part number was for the new one or the old one since there have been reports of 2011's with both. I hope the number they looked up was for the old one with the added pipe and such because I was quoted almost $70 for it. I like the idea of it dropping in and looking OE, but at $70 I am not liking it so much.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
I just ran out to the garage; my October build 2011 has it.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 PM
dontpanic
1st Gear
easy, cheap, secure, stealthy fix...

go to your local auto parts store. buy two expanding neoprene plugs- one 25mm size, one the next size up (31mm). Take the hardware from the smaller plug and mount it on the larger plug - this is so the hoses will easily reassemble over your mod. press the plug into the offending orifice for your noisemaker on the "Y" piece and tighten the nut (depending on brand/size of plug you find you may need to add a slight taper or even some lotion to get the plug in). reassemble noisemaker for that warranty-friendly look. enjoy your new found peace and quiet. total cost about $7 and the expanding plugs are designed for temps and pressures higher than those found in our intakes. If you get cold feet and want the noise back just loosen the nut and pull the plug out.

here as an example is the Dorman line of expanding rubber plugs I found at advance auto parts - If I remember correctly I used the 02600 and 02601:

http://www.dormanproducts.com/c-354-...al-rubber.aspx

Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
rohicks
2nd Gear
Saw this thread talking about the 2011s not having this so i went to check mine out. I'm assuming this is the area y'all are talking about. But mine does not have it and my mini is a 2/2011 production car. I took some pics since no else seems to have posted any. Click the pics for a link to high-res versions.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Nice clean look. I wonder what the parts listed for the 2011 are.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 AM
MattyKHZ
3rd Gear
Nice clean look. I wonder what the parts listed for the 2011 are.
See post #117

Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
I have one of the 2011 (Oct build) that has the noise generator. I bought the "plugs" at Advance Auto as specified in an earlier post. Yesterday I tried to install the plug, but it looks like the air filter box has to be removed to gain access to the noise generator parts. I removed the two or three torx captive screws on the top half of the air box and the hose clamp on the left side. Got the top off, and the filter element out. I then tried to get the bottom half off; took the torx screw out on the right side and pried the lower half up, but the left side of the lower box is held by a rigid plastic elbow, and I can't figure out how to detach this elbow. Can anyone help with this?
Do I really need to do all this to get the plug in?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Mike@Tech Division
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by capt fred
I have one of the 2011 (Oct build) that has the noise generator. I bought the "plugs" at Advance Auto as specified in an earlier post. Yesterday I tried to install the plug, but it looks like the air filter box has to be removed to gain access to the noise generator parts. I removed the two or three torx captive screws on the top half of the air box and the hose clamp on the left side. Got the top off, and the filter element out. I then tried to get the bottom half off; took the torx screw out on the right side and pried the lower half up, but the left side of the lower box is held by a rigid plastic elbow, and I can't figure out how to detach this elbow. Can anyone help with this?
Do I really need to do all this to get the plug in?
The lower cold air pipe is a twist off pipe. With the air box pulled up a lil you should have room to turn the air box about a 1/4 to 1/3 turn then it should slide out. Some times the rubber o-ring seal that on that pipe will make it a difficult but it should come out fairly easy non the less.

You could probably work around it with the box loose but it's easier to pull it out and you already undid everything already any ways.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain R56 Noisemaker Revealed!